How did non fans survive the World Cup?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, how did the millions of us with no interest in the World Cup manage to avoid it? For me it was avoiding pubs when big matches were on, getting my DVDs out, blanking it out when the subject was raised at work and hanging out with friends who don't like football. I managed to see about 20 minutes when it couldn't be avoided due to the family, but otherwise I did the non fan thing at other times and avoided having to mingle with fans, where my complete lack of knowledge of football would have shown me up.

Comments

• tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When does it start?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even notice it, to be honest.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    When does it start?

1st August
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I barely noticed it. I saw updates on BBC Breakfast but I didn't really pay attention, just like with the normal football updates.

I don't really watch TV which helped, I watch BBC Breakfast but everything else is either pre-recorded, netflix or downloaded.

Even though I have no real interest I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it, it's a few weeks every few years, it's not going to kill you.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked footy and I don't think I watched a single complete match. Just bits of a few. Anyone complaining that it was unavoidable is a prat, or lying.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite easily, there were enough boxsets on catchup services to keep me amused and a few days off in other countries to help. It was also easily ignored once England was out of the competition because everyone seemed to give up their enthusiasm then.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I survived quite easily, by just not being bothered. Not even sufficiently bothered to whine about it.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SKY Discovery Channel, Alibi, Drama, CBS, - in fact, any channel that wasn't showing football. Absolutely hate the sport.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose in the same way those of us that hate the soaps, talent shows and reality tv the rest of the year do. Don't watch it.
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy to avoid things you don't like. I hate the X Factor and Britain's got Talent and they saturate television all year around, but I manage to avoid them.

With catch up tv, Netflix, it's not difficult.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like others, I barely noticed it was on. I thought at least it would have come to my attention when the soaps were shifted but with it being the summer hols (kids are off 8 weeks in N Ireland) and the weather being okay-ish we've been out and about a lot so I wasn't in to watch TV anyway.

I did hear about Brazil's magnificent defeat against Germany and as much as I can't abide football i'm sorry I didn't watch that one. I've managed to avoid both World Cup and Wimbledon with ease.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I manage to avoid the soaps without any difficulty and they are on just about all the time. So it can't really have been hard for non football fans to avoid it.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just rolled with it and nodded in the right places as the OH ranted on. Luckily enough, Spain were shockingly bad and went out quickly so the moaning only lasted a week or 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just don't watch it, if there isn't anything else on the other channels there is always catch up/films to watch. Or heaven forbif don't watch anything at all and go out or spend time with other people.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same way I survive most things that are easily avoidable and ultimately harmless, I guess.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though i'm a football fan, I wasn't actually that interested in it and it generally did pass me by. I saw a bit of action here and there but I didn't specifically go out of my way to avoid it, i just ended up missing most of it.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because England were particularly poor this time round but I personally thought it was a lot lower key than other world cups I remember. Sometimes, it appears the whole country comes to a halt for a month and everything revolves around the football but that was much less so this time round
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    We have more than one TV. After England went out I would go in other room and watch TV in there or sat out side on IPad
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got E.T. the extra terrestrial to pick me up and show me round his spaceship round the dark side of the moon instead. He's a fan of the Faroe Islands and they weren't playing.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just didn't watch television except when I had something recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I coped by not watching any football.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Can't really remember, life didn't change much. I watched most of the same things, felt there were less quizzes on, watched Coronation Street, had the multi satellite system to was watching many different channels on that, including if the World Cup was on, I found it more entertaining to check out other channels coverage around Europe/Middle East.

Maybe with the amount of channels there are now it's easy to feel that there is still something on, although less exciting new programmes, but usually every summer is the same.

It didn't feel as hypey this time either, England went out of it which shut the media up a bit, then they started to go on and on about Suarez biting someone and Brazil's 7-1 defeat.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was like a struggle but without the struggling part. The OP is probably thinking of people like this FM.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73698840&postcount=19 (and subsequent posts)

But I think compared to the vast majority of us who aren't bothered he's something of a special case.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Can't really remember, life didn't change much. I watched most of the same things, felt there were less quizzes on, watched Coronation Street, had the multi satellite system to was watching many different channels on that, including if the World Cup was on, I found it more entertaining to check out other channels coverage around Europe/Middle East.

Maybe with the amount of channels there are now it's easy to feel that there is still something on, although less exciting new programmes, but usually every summer is the same.

It didn't feel as hypey this time either, England went out of it which shut the media up a bit, then they started to go on and on about Suarez biting someone and Brazil's 7-1 defeat.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure but I suspect they breathed in, proceeded to breathe out and subsequently repeated the process many times.