Subway breakfast £2/2.50 deal- what's 'MEGA' about it?

Comments

• Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only been to a subway once.

Spent over a tenner and all I got were 3 sandwiches with hardly any filling.

With a tenner down the local supermarket I can get so much more and create a weeks worth of subways.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Mine's a foot long.
  • MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand people who have breakfast at Cafés and the like. I can hardly get into the kitchen without tipping over, I'm usually very hungry!
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    £2.50 for a sub? I can get a full english near me for the same price.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only ever have a Steak & Cheese, and then I stand my ground and make sure it has roughly the same meat : other ingredients ratio that is shown the picture. :D
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I can't understand people who have breakfast at Cafés and the like. I can hardly get into the kitchen without tipping over, I'm usually very hungry!

I can't understand people who want breakfast full stop.
    The last thing I want to be doing when I'm groggy in the morning is eating food! I've usually worked up an appetite by lunchtime though.
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    I only ever have a Steak & Cheese, and then I stand my ground and make sure it has roughly the same meat : other ingredients ratio that is shown the picture. :D

There's something wrong about "steak and cheese".
    Steak and fried onion, I can understand (and the steak has to be rarer than an asian snow leopard in Croydon), possibly even steak and coleslaw, but steak and cheese?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    There's something wrong about "steak and cheese".
    Steak and fried onion, I can understand (and the steak has to be rarer than an asian snow leopard in Croydon), possibly even steak and coleslaw, but steak and cheese?

Have you never experienced the Philly Cheesesteak? It's like the food of the God's. The Subway steak & cheese is a very poor imitation, but it's the closest you can get to it around here when I meet my Sister for breakfast at 9am on a Wednesday morning. :)
    Forum Member
    Have you never experienced the Philly Cheesesteak? It's like the food of the God's. The Subway steak & cheese is a very poor imitation, but it's the closest you can get to it around here when I meet my Sister for breakfast at 9am on a Wednesday morning. :)

http://video.about.com/philadelphia/How-to-Make-an-Authentic-Philly-Cheese-Steak.htm

My god, I thought I'd seen everything, but this gastronomic perculiarity seems to involves cheese that it ejected from a can under pressure! :confused: Not only that, they call it "cheese whizz"! :eek:
    Also, what happened to the idea of the salad on a sandwich?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://video.about.com/philadelphia/How-to-Make-an-Authentic-Philly-Cheese-Steak.htm

My god, I thought I'd seen everything, but this gastronomic perculiarity seems to involves cheese that it ejected from a can under pressure! :confused: Not only that, they call it "cheese whizz"! :eek:

No, that's a load of crap. How they can describe that as authentic is beyond me. A real good quality Philly cheesesteak uses Provolone (although I like it with Gouda), not that spray-shit from a can. The Cheesesteak was around for decades before that crap was even invented anyway, my guess is that's the fast-food generation needing their 'quick fix'.
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No way! Well, yes way, because it's shown there but trust me that's got to be a frat boy substitute for real cheese - the cheese whiz I mean.
  • lisa02lisa02 Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the "MEGA" is 4 ingredients (sausage, egg, bacon and cheese) instead of just two.

Can't stand Subway. The smell whenever I walk past one knocks me sick, which is impressive for a sandwich shop! What the hell do they have in there that smells so much?

I used to be the same, I really couldn't stand the smell. One day while I was heavily pregnant I walked past one and the smell just made my mouth water. I eat subway at least once a week now. I love the southwest chipotle sauce, and the ranch sauce is nice too. I used to get the bread but started getting them as wraps and have now moved onto the salads.

Nothing beats a subway salad.
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The breakfast subs are my favourite, wish they did them all day. Better value than the others too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Why are they called SUBS?
    Substandard?
    Shaped sort of like a submarine?
    Substance thats indiscribable?

Or what?
    Anyone know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Substandard?

Or what?
    Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Substandard?

Or what?
    Anyone know?

Is the answer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Substandard?

Or what?
    Anyone know?

horrible american slang we are supposed to treat like an english word. :rolleyes:
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last time I checked subway was not spraying cheese out of a can called cheese whizz. They use slices of cheese yes probably processed but then so do most places even the cheese slice you get on supermarket sandwiches are processed but you can depending on your subway sometimes get a choice of other cheeses. I've been offered different cheeses or a combination if I have wanted double cheese.

I had this sub last week and its not actually that offensive. It always gets me that half of the people who knock something probably wont have even tried it. They decide purely on the basis that they don't like the smell or the look of it straight away or they listen to other people and form their opinion from that. If I did that I wouldn't have found some of the nicest places that I have and no I don't mean fast food places like Subway. I have found a lot of fantastic places to eat because I have given them a chance.

Breakfast subs don't generally give you the full choice of bread whenever I've had them I've only been offered maybe two or three of them. Think its the Honey Oat, Wheat and possibly the Heary Italian that are the available options and again you aren't bombarded with the endless salad options either. While its not something I buy on a regular basis I do like the breakfast subs and if I am travelling something I do a lot it is sometimes a nice easy option and you know what you are getting.

Plenty of people obviously like their subways and no it doesn't mean they have no taste. I do look at other options too and sometimes Subway is the better option even out of the local places as happened the other day when I decided to give a local sandwich/deli place a go. A decision I now regret as the bread was stale and the filling meagre had I just gone to Subway I would have had something I would have actually enjoyed for what would have been the same price anyway.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

Boke! That's awful. The cheese looks horrid. The meat looks awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    I do look at other options too and sometimes Subway is the better option even out of the local places as happened the other day when I decided to give a local sandwich/deli place a go. A decision I now regret as the bread was stale and the filling meagre had I just gone to Subway I would have had something I would have actually enjoyed for what would have been the same price anyway.

Exactly. In our local shopping centre the food court has 5 places to eat. An o'briens (sandwich place), KFC, Burger King, Yangtzee (Chinese/Cantonese noodle bar) and McDonalds. O'Briens charges extortionate prices for a sandwich, £4 something. The rest of the places are greasy burgers, greasy chicken, or spicy curry. Subway is across the road from the shopping centre and for £3 I can get my salad and a bottle of coke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boke! That's awful. The cheese looks horrid. The meat looks awful.

Indeed, a real Philly Cheesesteak is nothing but chipped rib-eye steak, onions and decent quality cheese. I like to throw in a couple of shredded Jalapeños when I make them though, but that's personal taste. :)

That crap-in-a-can, spray cheese has no right to exist, let alone to sully one of the finest snacks invented.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, a real Philly Cheesesteak is nothing but chipped rib-eye steak, onions and decent quality cheese. I like to throw in a couple of shredded Jalapeños when I make them though, but that's personal taste. :)

That crap-in-a-can, spray cheese has no right to exist, let alone to sully one of the finest snacks invented.

As I said above it is not spray cheese that is being used and in the tv ad the sub has been toasted and the cheese melted hence its runny appearance.

So what if the subway version isn't fine dining its quick not that horrificly priced and unfortunately in most high streets there isn't an abundance of authentic places to get the real thing. If it makes people happy then let them be happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    As I said above it is not spray cheese that is being used and in the tv ad the sub has been toasted and the cheese melted hence its runny appearance.

So what if the subway version isn't fine dining its quick not that horrificly priced and unfortunately in most high streets there isn't an abundance of authentic places to get the real thing. If it makes people happy then let them be happy.

What are you going on about? I'm not referring to the Subway Steak & Cheese, I'm talking about the Philly Cheesesteak. Perhaps it would help you to understand this if you'd have actually bothered to read the thread before commenting, it would also help you understand just who has said what in this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a company started by 2 Doctors they sell the most unhealthy and vile tasting crap ever. The salt levels in their sandwiches is horrifying.
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't do sweet chilli chicken anymore so I never go now.