Options

D-Link DSL-3780 or Huawei HG633 - which is best

es6300es6300 Posts: 298
Forum Member
Which of these TalkTalk modems is the best. (I have no 5GHz devices)

D-Link DSL-3780 or Huawei HG633

(connection via ADSL2)

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are looking to buy a router, you can buy basically any ADSL2+ router you want, it doesn't need to be something TalkTalk uses.

I'd still recommend something with 5GHz for futureproofing (and are you sure you don't have any 5GHz devices? a lot of stuff has it these days)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I currently have a DSL-3780, but TalkTalk is sending me a HG633, to see if my speeds improve.

I don't think the HG633 will improve my speed. (it has decreased by 2mbps during the past year - used to reach 5mbps)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's situation will be different, but I have had slight speed increases just by changing the modem. In my case it was moving from a 10 year old modem to a new one.

If your router is particularly old it could also be suffering from old age.

Do you have any phone extensions? If you're handy you could try using the router in the "test socket" to see if your speeds increase.

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Testing-connection-from-the-BT-Master-test-telephone-socket?Keywords=bt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Received the DSL-3780 approx 6 months ago from TalkTalk, so assume its new.

Always connected to Test Socket (to achieve max speed)

Looks like the DSL-3780 has better ADSL speeds than the HG633

http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/HG633-Slow-internet/td-p/1779080
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internet tells me that the D link is indeed not that old. I had it confused with a much older D-Link router that TalkTalk sent out at some point.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest that just because that person had a reduced speed, that you'll get one too. It's more complex than that. Maybe TalkTalk is using different exchange equipment (or a different revision) where you live, and you'll get a better speed? The only way to really know is to try - you should be able to switch back to the old one if it's worse.

At least if you're using the test socket you can rule out the extensions. Have you tried changing the filter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    The internet tells me that the D link is indeed not that old. I had it confused with a much older D-Link router that TalkTalk sent out at some point.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest that just because that person had a reduced speed, that you'll get one too. It's more complex than that. Maybe TalkTalk is using different exchange equipment (or a different revision) and you'll get a better speed? The only way to really know is to try - you should be able to switch back to the old one if it's worse.

At least if you're using the test socket you can rule out the extensions. Have you tried changing the filter?

with the DSL3780, I have tried the spare filter that was sent, and the filters that I already owned - no difference made.

I have also tried replacing the cables between the modem and test socket.

TalkTalk has changed me from a 6db profile to a 9db profile - but this seems to have reduced my speed further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    es6300 wrote: »
    with the DSL3780, I have tried the spare filter that was sent, and the filters that I already owned - no difference made.

I have also tried replacing the cables between the modem and test socket.

TalkTalk has changed me from a 6db profile to a 9db profile - but this seems to have reduced my speed further.

That would make sense. They are increasing the target SNR, which will reduce the maximum possible speed, but it means the modem is less likely to disconnect if there is interference or other issues. If you've had problems with the connection dropping out then this would help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    That would make sense. They are increasing the target SNR, which will reduce the maximum possible speed, but it means the modem is less likely to disconnect if there is interference or other issues. If you've had problems with the connection dropping out then this would help

picked up the HG633 from the post office today, and connected it.

Speed was slower than the DSL-3780. Buffering experienced on video streaming playback.

Reconnected the DSL-3780 - speed reporting as being faster - No buffering experienced on video playback.

Repeated the exercise of replacing the routers, and the DSL-3780 was faster than the HG633 with no buffering.

Going to send the HG633 back.

If 9dB produces a slower speed than a 6dB profile - unsure why TalkTalk put me onto this profile.