Options

Author investigated by police for expressing 'homophobic' views on radio

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote:
    Do you have incitement to racial hatred laws (state or federal) like we do here?

I remember seeing the KKK on the Oprah show and I believe they made a show of themselves on Jerry Springer too.

I used to go to a record shop in Brixton but stopped going after a couple of times when I felt intimidated after they hired security from - can't remember the name - Farrakhan's group? The ones with the bowties and suits? They kind of stood over me with their arms folded as I tried to browse and I got the impression I wasn't welcome. I don't know why, of course, but I thought it was because I'm white. (I know that's nothing to the racist experiences that many black people have had, just mentioned it because of the reference to the Black Panthers, although didn't they used to be just a radical civil rights group, rather than a racist group. Have hey changed?).

Yeah but they can't stand Whites, and that is the reason, because of the Past.

When you apply for jobs here they ask you if you were, or still are, a member of the KKK or The Black Panthers because both groups Promoted violence against people of races not their own.

Martin Luther King Jr with the NAACP was a peaceful Civil Rights group without the racism involved.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faeden wrote:
    Hi kimindex

I'm white and I used to love hip hop and the only place i could get underground hip hop was Brixton, and I never had any troubles there, I was always made to feel welcome, I was however mugged there once at night after a concert, but that was by a white guy and a black guy.

Take care
    Faeden
    Great! I am talking about over ten years ago now and it may have reverted to what is was before the security presence. Again, I in no way compare one tiny experience to people's experience of racism.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote:
    So you can't disagree or challenge someone's views without being accused of bullying?

No. Lynette Burrows is being told in effect that she is not allowed to have an opinion about homosexuals adopting children unless it is the PC view.

To prevent people from saying what they truly believe or call them insulting names because they express their opinion is bullying.

Your statement above suggests that no-one can express an opinion unless it is the same as yours.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skyegirl wrote:
    No. Lynette Burrows is being told in effect that she is not allowed to have an opinion about homosexuals adopting children unless it is the PC view.

To prevent people from saying what they truly believe or call them insulting names because they express their opinion is bullying.

Your statement above suggests that no-one can express an opinion unless it is the same as yours.
    As I said in the OP, she said rather more than that she disagreed with gay adoption.

The police investigated her and found there was no need to charge her. I actually said that she had a right to her opinions, opinions which I strongly disagree with. How is that bullying? I don't agree that the police needed to interview her.

Where did I say or even suggest no one has a right to an opinion unless they agree with me?
  • Options
    steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of the way we have to watch what we say all the time. It used to be the case that it was only people in government had to be pc and diplomatic and now its spread into the general public.

If we do/dont like something we should be free to say as such.

Why is it so important to agree with eerything and everyone and if we dont we are wrong.

I think if homosexuals want to adopt, let them, but equally, if a couple of crack smoking lesbian **** want to adopt we should allow that too.

Or is that too much? Give it 20 years and it wont be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve007 wrote:
    I'm sick of the way we have to watch what we say all the time. It used to be the case that it was only people in government had to be pc and diplomatic and now its spread into the general public.

If we do/dont like something we should be free to say as such.

Why is it so important to agree with eerything and everyone and if we dont we are wrong.

I think if homosexuals want to adopt, let them, but equally, if a couple of crack smoking lesbian **** want to adopt we should allow that too.

What? :confused:

Mom and Dad type parents can, and do, drugs too, so what's your point? Adoption companies don't purposely give kids to people who use drugs whether they are Homosexual or Heterosexual.

If you are referring to Melissa Eldridge, then I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, that her kid(s) were not adopted, her partner gave birth to them, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faeden wrote:
    So what if I went into a police station and said someone called me a idiot and it hurt my feelings, should they investigate that too? Its a waist of police time.

Take care
    Faeden

There is a big difference between someone calling you an idiot, and someone potentially commiting hate crimes by stirring up trouble against an entire group of people.

I would think that checking the latter was not happening would certainly be a priority, especially when the person accused is known for extremist and hateful views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adoption companies don't purposely give kids to people who use drugs whether they are Homosexual or Heterosexual.

Yeah sure, but at the rate we are going, they soon will.

We are heading towards a situation where he rights of a few individuals are more important than the long term picture.

One of the reasons all this stuff has become acceptable is because its so important not to upset people, the majority is being treated as the minority, people are scared to voice real opinions, just in case its not pc and as such various things are slipping through the net and standards are slipping fast.
  • Options
    MisanthropeMisanthrope Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    steve007 wrote:

What's your point ?

I assume your against homosexuals being able to adopt, why not just say so?

Or do you fear the PC police?
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    skyegirl wrote:
    I'm not saying that I agree with what Lynette Burrows said but she does have the right to have an opinion on this subject, and indeed on any subject.

Just because others do not share her opinion does not make her a bigot or an evil person it just means she has a different view. And name calling does not help.

I think the thought police are taking over the asylum.

I did not say she was evil, I said she was a homophobe who holds bigoted views. I have no problem with her holding or expressing her views (for the reasons I gave in my earlier post).

For your information the reason why I call her a homophobe is because she has consistently expressed views such as this one:

On lesbians having babies using AID:
    "Honestly, these are designer babies for alternative lifestyles," said Lynette Burrows, a member of the Family Education Trust. It's a wicked and selfish idea.

"They know they are subjecting the child to a lifetime of psychological difficulties, starting with having two mothers, which they know is not possible, and no father, and what their peers are going to say about that abnormal situation."

She has also made allegations, totally unsubstantiated, that 35% of paedophiles are homosexual men.

I do not see why I should politely refrain from expressing my opinion that she is a homophobe - or is it that only people who hold 'non-pc' views have a right to express them?
  • Options
    rogtogrogtog Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faeden wrote:
    I'm white and I used to love hip hop and the only place i could get underground hip hop was Brixton, and I never had any troubles there, I was always made to feel welcome, I was however mugged there once at night after a concert, but that was by a white guy and a black guy.
    But were they homosexuals?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your point ?

I assume your against homosexuals being able to adopt, why not just say so?

Or do you fear the PC police?

My opinion is that I believe that Children need a balanced upbringing with a Mother and Father, which is something I dont feel Homosexual parents can offer, so as such I do not agree with adoption by gay couples. That said I am not homophobic. This is about Parenting, which on the whole I think is done better by man and woman, preferably who are married.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesaya wrote:
    On lesbians having babies using AID:
    Conception involving a turkey baster and a shot of juice purchased via the internet is hardly "normal", regardless of the sexual proclivities of the bastee and her special friend.
    She has also made allegations, totally unsubstantiated, that 35% of paedophiles are homosexual men.
    You don't think the proportion is any higher than this, do you? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve007 wrote:
    My opinion is that I believe that Children need a balanced upbringing with a Mother and Father, which is something I dont feel Homosexual parents can offer, so as such I do not agree with adoption by gay couples. That said I am not homophobic. This is about Parenting, which on the whole I think is done better by man and woman, preferably who are married.

Fair Enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but my opinion is that it doesn't matter if a child is missing a male or female parent.

Some parents are single parents and raise their kids just fine by themselves and some people, like my father, were raised in houses where there was nothing but Women (like their Mother, Grandmother and Aunt) or Men (like their Father and Grandfather and Uncle) and are just fine. I believe that as long as the kid is provided for financially and loved then that's all that matters. So two lesbians and two gay men can do that just fine.

I was watching a documentary on PBS a while back that showed this gay couple who had adopted a son and it was horrible how much crap they were put through by some of the people they lived around.

One gay parent was making sure his son did his homework and chores (and by the way, the son was a straight A student) while the other gay parent played football with him outside and took him to themeparks and other things that Heterosexual parents do. But despite seeing that, the only thing some of their nieghbors were complaining about was that the gay parents were "going to make the boy they adopted gay".

That was ridiculous; Having Gay parents can't make/turn you Homosexual, anymore than Having Straight parents can make/turn you Heterosexual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote:
    And, I think you're confusing Five Live with Talk Sport or LBC.
    Nonetheless, I tihnk prisoners could be trained to provide a higher level of inanae banter than that currently broadcast to middle-brow market that drives white vans. Not only would prisoners be cheaper than the current crop of broadcasters, but because many of them spend their time doing Open University degrees, painting or watching television and could, therefore, offer informed views n a range of subjects and even host those popular (ie *cheap*) phone-in programmes :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having Gay parents can't make/turn you Homosexual, anymore than Having Straight parents can make/turn you Heterosexual.
    Isn't it the case though that a *very high proportion* of those convicted of sexual abuse are themselves abusees ... ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rogtog wrote:
    Isn't it the case though that a *very high proportion* of those convicted of sexual abuse are themselves abusees ... ?

Not all Gay Men are sexual abusers :rolleyes:

So to say that, do you think that all Girls who were sexually abused by their Fathers go on to sexually abuse their kids or are you trying to say this is strictly a "gay thing"?

There are plenty of other boys who have been sexually abused who start, or go to, support groups and therapy to deal with it rather than go out and abuse other people.

The Lead Singer of Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, is a prime example. He was abused as a child and he sings about it in his songs now for therapy and he was Married and he has a son now. So do you think that because he was abused as a child, he is being a bad Father and abusing his son?

I doubt it and to automatically say that about guys who were abused or gay men is a very prejudiced thing to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote:
    Do you have incitement to racial hatred laws (state or federal) like we do here?

I remember seeing the KKK on the Oprah show and I believe they made a show of themselves on Jerry Springer too.

First Amendment to the Constitution guarantees freedom of speech - the downside to that is you sometimes get rantings in public from the likes of the KKK idiots who would get arrested if they said the same stuff in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    First Amendment to the Constitution guarantees freedom of speech - the downside to that is you sometimes get rantings in public from the likes of the KKK idiots who would get arrested if they said the same stuff in the UK.

Really?! You guys don't have Freedom of Speech? :confused:

I didn't know that. I thought most of the American Laws were based on British Laws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rogtog wrote:

Statistics and sources to back up that claim please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really?! You guys don't have Freedom of Speech? :confused:

I didn't know that. I thought most of the American Laws were based on British Laws.

We have nothing close to freedom of speech, we also have some of the strictest libel laws in the world.

It always makes me smile when someone who isn't American starts ranting about their 'freedom of speech' (usually because they've had something censored on a forum).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    We have nothing close to freedom of speech, we also have some of the strictest libel laws in the world.

It always makes me smile when someone who isn't American starts ranting about their 'freedom of speech' (usually because they've had something censored on a forum).

Yeah that's why I thought y'all laws were the same as ours, because some British people have said that.

That's unfortunate you don't have freedom of speech, but, at the same time, I would never say anything Racist or Homophobic or Sexist that would require me to get censored in the UK because I'm not that type of person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    Statistics and sources to back up that claim please.
    Do you have "statistics and sources" to suggest otherwise please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rogtog wrote:
    Do you have "statistics and sources" to suggest otherwise please?

She's not the one making claims, you are.................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair Enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but my opinion is that it doesn't matter if a child is missing a male or female parent.

Some parents are single parents and raise their kids just fine by themselves and some people, like my father, were raised in houses where there was nothing but Women (like their Mother, Grandmother and Aunt) or Men (like their Father and Grandfather and Uncle) and are just fine. I believe that as long as the kid is provided for financially and loved then that's all that matters. So two lesbians and two gay men can do that just fine.

I was watching a documentary on PBS a while back that showed this gay couple who had adopted a son and it was horrible how much crap they were put through by some of the people they lived around.

One gay parent was making sure his son did his homework and chores (and by the way, the son was a straight A student) while the other gay parent played football with him outside and took him to themeparks and other things that Heterosexual parents do. But despite seeing that, the only thing some of their nieghbors were complaining about was that the gay parents were "going to make the boy they adopted gay".

That was ridiculous; Having Gay parents can't make/turn you Homosexual, anymore than Having Straight parents can make/turn you Heterosexual.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that having a homosexual or lesbian couple as parents affects a childs sexuality, that isnt my point.

A father plays an equally important role to a mother, and neither roles can be substituted, except to the detriment of the child either during childhood or later life.
This discussion has been closed.