Doctor Who - Pointless jackpot qustion.

iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
Forum Member
✭✭
Tonight (May 7th) Doctor Who emerged as a category in the jackpot round of popular teatime quiz Pointless. (I think this is the first time it's come up, but maybe I'm wrong).

They need three different question for each of the jackpot categories these days. And all questions obviously have to produce at least one pointless answer

So - quick - before the category is chosen, let's guess what the three Doctor Who questions will be.

I start with......... "Actors in The Day Of The Doctor".

Comments

• shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have had a Doctor Who jackpot question before. Naming recurring characters I think. They won with Davros, which I remember thinking would be a really high answer.:D
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Tonight (May 7th) Doctor Who emerged as a category in the jackpot round of popular teatime quiz Pointless. (I think this is the first time it's come up, but maybe I'm wrong).

They need three different question for each of the jackpot categories these days. And all questions obviously have to produce at least one pointless answer

So - quick - before the category is chosen, let's guess what the three Doctor Who questions will be.

Which actors were in The Day of The Doctor?

Matt Smith
    David Tennant
    Tom Baker
    Peter Capaldi
    Elisabeth Slaton

You mean like that? With Elisabeth Slaton being the Pointless answer?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Which actors were in The Day of The Doctor?

Matt Smith
    David Tennant
    Tom Baker
    Peter Capaldi
    Elisabeth Slaton

You mean like that? With Elisabeth Slaton being the Pointless answer?

Pretty much, yes, you've got it. Basic premise of Pointless is to give a correct answer that fewest people gave in a survey of 100 people done some time before. So, the most obscure answer gets the lowest score. Lowest score wins. In the final, jackpot round, you have to choose a category and then give 3 answers. One of the three has to be pointless (i.e. No-one in the survey gave that answer) to win the jackpot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Pretty much, yes

...except that, to be correct, "Elisabeth Slaton" would need to be the name of an actual actor who appeared in 'Day of the Doctor'. :confused:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would probably have to go with Ken Bones in that situation.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    ...except that, to be correct, "Elisabeth Slaton" would need to be the name of an actual actor who appeared in 'Day of the Doctor'. :confused:

An obvious typo. I didn't consider it worth highlighting.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I think they have had a Doctor Who jackpot question before. Naming recurring characters I think. They won with Davros, which I remember thinking would be a really high answer.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aip7pWy7ZtE
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another question could be NuWho writers.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »

What an interesting premise for a show. :)

Thanks for the video clip. :)
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another question could be NuWho writers.

I reckon they'd all be pointless answers, with an outside chance of Mark Gatiss, RTD and SM getting one or two. After all, Davros was pointless.
  • KrisHaywardKrisHayward Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a jackpot Doctor Who round before

Any actor who has played The Master.
    Any actor who has played or voiced a companion of Tom Baker's Doctor.
    The title of any episode since 2005.

and another round on another episode Any actor in one of the xmas specials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQj9XHgwMxk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    An obvious typo. I didn't consider it worth highlighting.

I wasn't (only) picking on the spelling mistake / typo. I was pointing out that a successful "pointless" answer still has to be correct - in this case, Lis Sladen didn't appear in the episode in question - but sufficiently obscure that none of the people surveyed mentioned it. Almost like "Family Fortunes" in reverse.
    You explained it much better than I could manage, though. :)
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...and the two muppets went with The Caribbean instead!
    The subject I think they could have come up would be "Recurring actors who have been on DW at least twice, but who have not played neither The Doctor nor a Companion."
    EDIT: Just looked at that video clip above and my choice is coincidentally a more specific question than the one in the clip...