Options

Sports Personality of the Year 2010

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
A big year of sport this year, the Winter Olympics, The World Cup, Commonwealth Games, F1 season, Ashes at the end of the year, etc.

First canditates for the overseas award are Lindsay Vonn and Alexandre Bilodeau, the first Canadian to win gold at an Olympics in Canada.

For the main award. Martin Adams for winning his second BDO world darts title and the oldest champion too is a starter.

And if Ryan Giggs won the award for not acheiving anything last year. Anyone for Vinnie Jones?

Comments

• Options
    Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    Rooney

Why murray is the favourite is a mystery.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Davey84 wrote: »
    Rooney

Although I am sure you won't agree he is far more likely to win Wimbledon than England are to win the world cup.

England won the world cup 44 years ago - its been 74 years since a British man won the men's singles title at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correct, I do not agree with that. England have a decent chance of winning the world cup this year. England are stronger this year than they have been any other year. I would have spain as favs tho
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Williams, if she holds onto first place in the skeleton bob! :D
  • Options
    torres33torres33 Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    A big year of sport this year, the Winter Olympics, The World Cup, Commonwealth Games, F1 season, Ashes at the end of the year, etc.

First canditates for the overseas award are Lindsay Vonn and Alexandre Bilodeau, the first Canadian to win gold at an Olympics in Canada.

For the main award. Martin Adams for winning his second BDO world darts title and the oldest champion too is a starter.

And if Ryan Giggs won the award for not acheiving anything last year. Anyone for Vinnie Jones?

you've got to be joking.
  • Options
    torres33torres33 Posts: 278
    Forum Member
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member

The people you mentioned have no change of winning any awards. Hardly anyone in this country cares about their sports.
    Rooney

Perhaps they think he will win Wimbledon.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Although I am sure you won't agree he is far more likely to win Wimbledon than England are to win the world cup.

England won the world cup 44 years ago - its been 74 years since a British man won the men's singles title at Wimbledon.

There is only two players better than Murray (Federer and Nadal) while there is about 4 or 5 (maybe more) teams better than England.
    Correct, I do not agree with that. England have a decent chance of winning the world cup this year. England are stronger this year than they have been any other year. I would have spain as favs tho

Agree. Spain are the best team but that doesn't mean they will win it.
  • Options
    EPYEPY Posts: 6,396
    Forum Member
    Amy Williams. :D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EPY wrote: »
    Amy Williams. :D
    Amy Williams, if she holds onto first place in the skeleton bob! :D

I would like to state that I was her first backer in this thread! :D

Lets see if we can get some momentum going! :D:D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll probably go to some other sportsperson who's put their time in over a long career again.
    I was so disappointed with the Giggs thing.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll probably go to some other sportsperson who's put their time in over a long career again.
    I was so disappointed with the Giggs thing.

the worse thing about that was the vote begging that went on at Man Utd's home game that day, telling people over the speakers to vote! If only Jessica Ennis had been able to call on those sort of vote rigging tactics, eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    The people you mentioned have no change of winning any awards. Hardly anyone in this country cares about their sports.

Perhaps they think he will win Wimbledon.

There is only two players better than Murray (Federer and Nadal) while there is about 4 or 5 (maybe more) teams better than England.

Agree. Spain are the best team but that doesn't mean they will win it.

Actually England are the 3rd favourites to win the world cup. If both were to happen: Murray win Wimb and England win world cup then an England player would win Sports personality, not murray.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    the worse thing about that was the vote begging that went on at Man Utd's home game that day, telling people over the speakers to vote! If only Jessica Ennis had been able to call on those sort of vote rigging tactics, eh?

giggs deserved to win 100%, he not only won but won by a massive massive margin.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    Giggs should definately not have won. It made a mockery of the award, and you could even tell he was embarassed about it. It just goes to show the mentality of Man Utd supporters that so many of them voted for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    giggs deserved to win 100%, he not only won but won by a massive massive margin.

giggs only made the short list by the skin of his teeth, he was literally the bottom name on the list. Rather telling that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    giggs only made the short list by the skin of his teeth, he was literally the bottom name on the list. Rather telling that.

but won the voting by a landslide which is what matters, public's opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but won the voting by a landslide which is what matters, public's opinion

...or that of the Man UTD who voted for him regardless of his vastly inferior performance in his sport to all the other candidates in the year in question. SPOTY isn't a lifetime achievement award and no way should a bloke who could hardly get a start all season have won over World Champion gold medalists. Even Giggs himself was shame faced as he collected the award. The voting numbers for SPOTY are relatively low and open to manipulation by a club like man Utd telling people to vote a few times a piece for Giggs.

I hope they go back to the old fashioned method of voting it seemed to work much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    If any footballer is nominated he will win , as football is so much more popular than any other sport.

I don't think the BBC will make the mistake of nominating a footballer in future unless they have actually achieved something in that year. Giggs deserves a lifetime achievement award but it was a farce that he should have won it last year when he was basically a reserve team player.

I doubt whether Amy Williams will win , but she will be nominated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Giggs deserved it, end of story. 11 prem titles, 2 CL titles (Ok its not lifetime achievement but in 2009 he still won the prem). The 2nd and 3rd place can shine his boots and will never achieve what giggs achieved.

Just accept it, Giggs won it and deserved it cos he got the most votes, he got like 160k votes, 2nd place Button got 102k votes and the 3rd place nobody got 88k. That is a huge margin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    If any footballer is nominated he will win , as football is so much more popular than any other sport.
    Rubbish, hardly any footballers have ever won it, and football has been the most popular sport in Britain for longer than the award has been running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Giggs deserved it, end of story. 11 prem titles, 2 CL titles (Ok its not lifetime achievement but in 2009 he still won the prem). The 2nd and 3rd place can shine his boots and will never achieve what giggs achieved.

Just accept it, Giggs won it and deserved it cos he got the most votes, he got like 160k votes, 2nd place Button got 102k votes and the 3rd place nobody got 88k. That is a huge margin.
    Jessica Ennis is a "nobody"?

Ryan Giggs because Manchester United have a lot of moronic fans and a lot of them voted for him. He did not even deserve to be on the shortlist IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Take your own advice and accept that a lot of people think the result was pathetic. Only Man Utd fans seem to think otherwise, unsurprisingly.

He was a very undeserving winner and even he knew it - go look at his face when he won. Totally embarrassed to be stood there ahead of those who had truly achieved something on a personal level that year.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think the BBC will make the mistake of nominating a footballer in future unless they have actually achieved something in that year. Giggs deserves a lifetime achievement award but it was a farce that he should have won it last year when he was basically a reserve team player.

I doubt whether Amy Williams will win , but she will be nominated.

The BBC don't do the nominations. The gentlemen of the press do
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    The Snakes wrote: »
    Rubbish, hardly any footballers have ever won it, and football has been the most popular sport in Britain for longer than the award has been running.

It is only in the last three years or so that the award has been voted on by a phone in.

If, for instance, the West Brom full back was the only footballer nominated he would win.

The reason why so few footballers have won is quite simple.They have achieved nothing on the world scale , unlike athletes who have to be the very best in the world to be nominated.

Is Wayne Rooney the best footballer in the world ? No. He wouldn't even get in the top fifty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is only in the last three years or so that the award has been voted on by a phone in.

If, for instance, the West Brom full back was the only footballer nominated he would win.

The reason why so few footballers have won is quite simple.They have achieved nothing on the world scale , unlike athletes who have to be the very best in the world to be nominated.

Is Wayne Rooney the best footballer in the world ? No. He wouldn't even get in the top fifty.

Giggs won because of Man Utd fans voting for him, not football fans in general. There are a few other clubs with similar levels of support who could do the same if one of their players is nominated, but football fans aren't going to get behind a player unless they have done something truly deserving of the award.

As for saying that Wayne Rooney wouldn't get in the top fifty footballers in the world, even though as a Liverpool fan I am more likely yo be anti-Rooney than most, I can see you are talking utter nonsense there.