Options

Whats the worst Xmas present you have given...

muntamunta Posts: 18,285
Forum Member
✭✭
or been given for that matter?

Its that time of year where we all start buying tat to give people on xmas day so I thought we could share our ideas of what not to buy.

Pringles for a start is not a good idea! http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1378613

The worst pressie I ever bought someone was one for my ex. She asked for a dishwasher for Xmas one year... I bought her a packet of J Cloths. :o Dont think she was too impressed to be honest :D In my defense though, I did buy her some really nice stuff too.

So the list so far

1 - Pringles
2 - J Cloths

Please add ;)

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Cloths. I love it!!!
  • Options
    meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    or been given for that matter?

Its that time of year where we all start buying tat to give people on xmas day so I thought we could share our ideas of what not to buy.

Pringles for a start is not a good idea! http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1378613

The worst pressie I ever bought someone was one for my ex. She asked for a dishwasher for Xmas one year... I bought her a packet of J Cloths. :o Dont think she was too impressed to be honest :D In my defense though, I did buy her some really nice stuff too.

So the list so far

1 - Pringles
    2 - J Cloths

Please add ;)

I'd have thanked you - then given you one of the J-cloths to wash the Christmas dishes with!

After all - you are going to need the practice - with no dishwasher, other than yourself of course! :D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother in law once gave me a bar of soap from her local market. It still had the price label on (deliberately). 2p.

Another time (I was about 20) she gave me what in those days was 'Oil of Ulay' - now Oil of Olay. She looked like a cross between an evil prune and Gordon Ramsey so why give me that for my beautiful (then unlined) face, I have no clue.

Nother time she gave me a pair of tights off the market. They were cheap American Tan ones and when I opened the packet - I kid you not - they had 3 legs.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My mother in law once gave me a bar of soap from her local market. It still had the price label on (deliberately). 2p.

Another time (I was about 20) she gave me what in those days was 'Oil of Ulay' - now Oil of Olay. She looked like a cross between an evil prune and Gordon Ramsey so why give me that for my beautiful (then unlined) face, I have no clue.

Nother time she gave me a pair of tights off the market. They were cheap American Tan ones and when I opened the packet - I kid you not - they had 3 legs.

Do/did you not get on? :D
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bottle of perfume, probably bought from eBay, already opened and used.
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    A bottle of perfume, probably bought from eBay, already opened and used.

I only had one squirt from it. :o

Didn't like it!! :D
  • Options
    LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Raw carrots (from my grandma)
    a quilling set, 40% already complete, and obviously from a charity shop (from my paternal aunt)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    I only had one squirt from it. :o

Didn't like it!! :D

4711, it's bloody rubbish isn't it!!
  • Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my girlfriend in 6th form a lovely silver bracelet, that cost me about 50-60 quid IIRC.

She bought me the The Rainbow 30th Aniversary DVD :o:confused::D

She wore it all the time, long after we broke up. In fact I bumped into her recently and noticed she had it on (broke up over 7 years ago, so she must have liked it).

The DVD is still in the celophane :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    I bought my girlfriend in 6th form a lovely silver bracelet, that cost me about 50-60 quid IIRC.

She bought me the The Rainbow 30th Aniversary DVD :o:confused::D

She wore it all the time, long after we broke up. In fact I bumped into her recently and noticed she had it on (broke up over 7 years ago, so she must have liked it).

The DVD is still in the celophane :o

Jeez, I hope you were the one who intiated the break up. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small bottle of perfume that had the words "TESTER NOT FOR SALE" on the bottom. Classic mistake.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    My husband's aunt once gave us

me: 2 tea towels

him: a shoe brush

We paid her back the next year by giving her:

From our eldest daughter: a string of pearls meant for Xmas tree
    From middle daughter: a 5p deer ornament found at the school fair
    From son: a set of thank-you notes (also from school fair)

Alas, she loved the pearls and the ornament was still on her mantlepiece when she died!
    Don't know what happened to the thank-you notes. Some other sucker probably got them the next year.
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    Many years ago my husband went out to work in the middle east and I went out to spend Christmas with him.

He had a lot of Thai men working for him and on the day two of them came round to our apartment and presented me with a block of toilet freshener wrapped in lurid purple cellophane and one of those battery operated dogs that march round a pole stopping every so often to let out a few 'barks' ....... I was oddly touched by both presents as the lads were very obviously pleased with themselves - I still have the dog somewhere :)

My worst present was an electric can opener from my brother - mind you, it was the only present he ever bought me :cool:
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mother is a bit "strange", about 15 years ago I had to sign on the dole and it took weeks to process my claim, during which time I had no money, and her birthday came around, so funnily enough I didn't buy her anything. To this day she's never forgiven me for that and never buys me anything for my birthday or Christmas, stating that I've never given her anything.

Lies, it was only that one year I didn't give her anything.

Anyhoos, one Christmas (the rest of my family are religious, even though I'm not) I got her a present. Christmas morning, there's no present for me, she didn't open her present - after all I don't give her a present, so clearly there was nothing for her. When someone else pointed out that there's a present there for you, she opened it and was quite delighted, but had no idea who it was from until my sister in law told her ....

A few hours later I'm clearing up the devastation and something falls out of the piles of paper - a pair of support tights. Which is what my mother hurriedly wrapped in a scrap of used paper to give me as a present. They were a paid she'd bought for herself, but hadn't worn yet :rolleyes:

Worst present I gave someone wasn't a bad present as such, i bought a flying lesson [each] for two of my siblings. Neither of them went. Neither of them told me they weren't/hadn't taken the lesson and the vouchers expired (I could have used them myself), cost me the best part of €400 :mad:

Another time I gave a sister-in-law a €100 voucher for a store (I didn't know her well enough to buy her an actual present see) she just stared at me. Didn't give me anything ...

I buy my siblings and my in-laws something from a charity shop these days, not wasting my money on them ever again!
  • Options
    Champion PigChampion Pig Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I gave my sister a model car me later, bought from a garage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember getting a top off my autie when i was 11 aged 6-7 ... it was ugly and useless.

my mil got me a ornament of a ballerina and the next year a grey hound.... she got them for my fireplace.....i hide them then get them out when she comes...the things you do for family peace lol.

I dont know the worst gifts i have given others...i am a big planner so try to think of something nice well in advance...the worst gifts are the ones ive had to get in a rush as there has been less thought in them i suppose.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone bought me a bottle of talc before, not a scented one just plain old talc, small size too.

Myself and my oh spent about 150quid on presents for my mum one year, she had given a list of stuff she wanted, we told her we had got her some really great stuff and she said oh I'll have to get you both something really special so come christmas day my oh opened his presents to find some socks from primark and a bag of nuts! The next year we only bought her some socks and a bag of nuts, she found it funny.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother gave me a block of wood, all wrapped up. In his defence, he was an arse.
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a bible... still it burnt well on the fire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother in law once gave me a quilted toiletries bag. The zip seemed to be defective. When I finally forced it open, there was a slip of paper inside that read, "Defective. For Disposal."

One of my dear children, since disinherited and expelled from the UK, once gave me a CD of Cliff Richard singing the Lord's prayer to the tune of Auld Lang Syne. It wasn't the ghastliness of the song so much as the thought that she thought I would like it.

Someone near me once gave his girlfriend a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig for her birthday...she lived in an ordinary suburban house with a tiny garden...
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    a bible... still it burnt well on the fire

Reminds me of a gift a relative once gave my kids.. some kiddies' Jaysus story books. They went straight to the charity shop. I felt bad for about a nanosecond.;)
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my sister gave me a wire chicken egg holder. It was the most ugliest things I had ever seen. Oh and once she bought me some weighing scales for about a pound from argos after I spent all my money on her getting all the things she wanted. She wasn't a kid either, she was a working adult. One year I gave her a big box full of things that I knew she would like. The following year she gave me a big box of all MY things I had been looking for over the year that she had stole and hid in a box and said here is all the things you have really wanted over the year. She thinks it is funny but generally it upsets me on the day and a few years later I can see the funny side.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    More of a joke pressie than anything but my mum gave me some Teletubbies toy once. I was 15 at the time :eek: but I think it was a joke really. Also that Aqua CD I got when I was 8 was pretty bad. I gave it to the charity shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda ten pack of toilet rolls wrapped them up really well
    Gave them to someone we have to visit once a year
    on the present wrote something for all the family to share.

my only gripe was i was not there to see the furor when they opened it. Bet it was brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda ten pack of toilet rolls wrapped them up really well
    Gave them to someone we have to visit once a year
    on the present wrote something for all the family to share.

my only gripe was i was not there to see the furor when they opened it. Bet it was brilliant.

lol lol :D brilliant