Options

Anyone else Hate Reality TV ?

filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else hate reality TV ? whether its Big Brother ,Strictly Come Dancing , Britains Got Talent Celebratly get me out of here etc etc etc or we are creating TV where people are hating one another on it !. even shows like Come Dine With Me are getting like that !..I think we are being overwhelmed and brainwashed by them !....give me a good drama comedy or film anyday ! and what happend to the variety shows that had something for everyone on a weekend ! If this is entertainment id rather switch the TV off and go out for the night !

Comments

• Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no one at all hates it. You're all on your own with this point of view.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Sorry but your wrong! None of them ever get put on on my tv, absolute waste of time the lot of them, just a cheap way of filling the airwaves thus saving the tv companies money and blow the viewer.
    Dave
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are those who hate it, and similarly there are those who would happily watch some of them (such as myself), like any type of programme on TV.

I personally feel there is two much drama and sport on TV, but I appreciate it is watched by others so I just avoid it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmp wrote: »
    Sorry but your wrong! None of them ever get put on on my tv, absolute waste of time the lot of them, just a cheap way of filling the airwaves thus saving the tv companies money and blow the viewer.
    Dave

i feel its spawned lots of other reality proggrammes which is sad as the digital age has created all this interaction with the public ! sadly IMO its just overkill ! theres too much of it !
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate reality TV ? whether its Big Brother ,Strictly Come Dancing , Britains Got Talent Celebratly get me out of here etc etc etc or we are creating TV where people are hating one another on it !. even shows like Come Dine With Me are getting like that !..I think we are being overwhelmed and brainwashed by them !....give me a good drama comedy or film anyday ! and what happend to the variety shows that had something for everyone on a weekend ! If this is entertainment id rather switch the TV off and go out for the night !
    No, you are not alone, it's almost as popular a view as loving them, you are not being original or cool or different by stating it.
    dmp wrote: »
    Dave
    They were being sarcastic.
    youngswede wrote: »
    Yes there are those who hate it, and similarly there are those who would happily watch some of them (such as myself), like any type of programme on TV.
    Same.
    i feel its spawned lots of other reality proggrammes which is sad as the digital age has created all this interaction with the public ! sadly IMO its just overkill ! theres too much of it !
    Also a cliched tiresome often expressed viewpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you are not alone, it's almost as popular a view as loving them, you are not being original or cool or different by stating it.

They were being sarcastic.

Same.

Also a cliched tiresome often expressed viewpoint.

Well !!! .ANYTHING on TV whether its Reality or otherwise !..if its overdone its tired aswell !
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea whether I hate it or not, since I never, ever watch any of it.
    Really, if you watch a programme and don't like it, then find something else to do. If you continually watch something or some genre, then you obviously like it. You might hate yourself for doing so, but that's your problem - not the programme's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    I detest it with a passion, its just irritating, see & hear enough gonks etc during the day / way to / from work, without seeing even more of them on my TV. As for the endless supply of pub turns & various other deranged loons , its enough to drive you to drink.

Its just cheap, nasty & desperate stuff thats stiffling TV. Thank god for BBC4. The rest of it seems a cynical ploy to reduce electricity consumption & the need to buy batteries for the remote.

:)
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did watch some of BB in the early days ( just becase of Kate Lawler ) but I've not watched any of SCD,The X Factor, Britain's got Latnet, IACGMOOH, in fact anything with telephone voting.

It's all designed for knobjockeys with sawdust for brains, or under 25s as they are commonly known.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I sit on the fence in this argument. I do think there is a distinct lack of quality drama on TV and this is why so many people are watching American programmes because they seem willing to invest in drama more than we are. But in the case of the BBC they are having their budget massively cut and have to go for the cheapest option, hence a lot of new dramas are having such short runs ie; 3 episodes.

ITV is market led. Advertisers largely dictate the programmes that get made and if the largest audiences are drawn to reality programmes, then this is what is going to get made whether we like it or not. ITV is not going to invest £10m in making an obscure drama that might only attract 3m viewers and only be able to acquire cheap advertisers. They need something the whole family will sit down to. So blame the British public for being so hungry for reality TV. If in the Autumn each episode of Downton Abbey gets 12m viewers and each episode of X Factor gets 5m viewers, guess where they'll be investing next year..

Also, and I know this is controversial and people won't agree with me, but people are naturally curious and like to see other 'real' people's lives, and also in the case of Strictly and DOI, enjoy watching someone who is famous for one thing, learning and mastering another. The whole ethos for TV when it was established was to Inform Educate and Entertain, well most people get their information and education via the net now, so TV has pretty much become just for entertainment.

Personally I would be quite happy to never see another episode of DOI, X Factor or Britain's Got Talent, but whether we like it or not, I think it's here to stay.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    TV should be about having professional entertainers on screen to entertain us, not watching ordinary folk doing ordinary things. Only way is essex, big brov, stuff like that. Wouldnt mind just one show a week showcasing the best britain has to offer.
    Nowt on telly for me tonight again, just diy and cooking again primetime. HAve recorded Strike it rich and The hitcher to watch tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    I have no idea whether I hate it or not, since I never, ever watch any of it.
    Really, if you watch a programme and don't like it, then find something else to do. If you continually watch something or some genre, then you obviously like it. You might hate yourself for doing so, but that's your problem - not the programme's.

So its my problem for paying a hundred and odd quid licence fee to watch this garbage ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I detest it with a passion, its just irritating, see & hear enough gonks etc during the day / way to / from work, without seeing even more of them on my TV. As for the endless supply of pub turns & various other deranged loons , its enough to drive you to drink.

Its just cheap, nasty & desperate stuff thats stiffling TV. Thank god for BBC4. The rest of it seems a cynical ploy to reduce electricity consumption & the need to buy batteries for the remote.

:)

haha ! yes imagine all those remotes on the scrapyard of remotes worn out with pressing the red button ! :D:D
  • Options
    avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP isn't alone. I hate reality tv. None of those shows ever get watched in our house. We never watch any soaps either.
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what it is... I'l happily watch Big Brother when it is on air...

The Hunks, America's next top model and all that bollocks though I avoid at all costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry to sound like an I told you so, but I could see this happening. I finished my degree in media studies in 94 when we were just starting the digital revolution, and my final year thesis was the effect of cable tv on programming and you could see the state of a lot of American channels to foresee what would happen to us. While American drama is superior, they also have a lot of reality dross that people love.

Personally I think each channel should have one channel dedicated to reality programming (ideally BBC3, ITV2, More4) and the rest should be made up of dramas and decent documentaries. But as I said earlier, in the case of ITV2 if you shoved BGT for example onto that, suddenly the most expensive advertising space on TV would be for ITV2!!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is, the words "reality show" now covers such a wide spectrum of programmes. In the past, people who watched talent shows didn't consider them "reality shows". Now you have cooking and antique shows, property and DIY programmes, even some decent documentary and fly-on-the-wall series etc,etc... all of which could come under the banner of reality programmes.
    Therefore, like everything else on TV, there are some good and some bad..in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem is, the words "reality show" now covers such a wide spectrum of programmes. In the past, people who watched talent shows didn't consider them "reality shows". Now you have cooking and antique shows, property and DIY programmes, even some decent documentary and fly-on-the-wall series etc,etc... all of which could come under the banner of reality programmes.
    Therefore, like everything else on TV, there are some good and some bad..in my opinion.

Exactly. My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding could be considered 'reality' TV and there is no way on earth I'd lump that in with The Hunks or TOWIE (even though I do love that programme :o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate reality tv shows with a passion,
    as i've stated in other threads similar to this, i'm watching less and less tv because of poor quality tv programmes.

Only for using my dvd player, my tv would hardly be on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate TV in general. Our screens are full of talentless, dim witted personalities. No one can act, no one has any charisma, no one has any kind of appeal. Which is why reality shows are so popular. The so called "talent" isnt there so lets try find it, and nope, its not there either.

Look at the UK channels, and ask yourself. If it wasnt for American programs, what the hell could we show on our TV?
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You cannot lump them all together. I enjoy Strictly come Dancing and Apprentice and some of the others. Big Brother was great when it first started but in the end was a farce. I'm afraid all reality programmes in the end self destruct as the producers try new ways to jazz them up, which mostly make them worse. This is even happening to Strictly and Apprentice .

I would love a good drama, comedy or film but I find its nearly impossible to find quality drama,comedy or films today .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »

nonsense, i hate them too. total irritating, tedious, repetitive trash.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its my problem for paying a hundred and odd quid licence fee to watch this garbage ??

That makes no sense. No sense at all.
    We all have to pay the licence fee, so that's moot. If you watch programmes that you "hate" then it sounds like there's something wrong with you - does someone else force you to watch them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with reality TV is that it has become so heavilly edited to be sensationalist. It's no longer fly on the wall.
    I do enjoy some of the programmes like Next Top Model, The Apprentice, Dragon's Den and Four Weddings.
    Totally agree with Come DIne With Me and Three In a Bed.
    The most bizarre obnoxious people are deliberately chosen to be on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kharhaz wrote: »
    Look at the UK channels, and ask yourself. If it wasnt for American programs, what the hell could we show on our TV?

Strangely enough I don't like American programmes. I've never seen an episode of 24, Mad Men, Ugly Betty, Heroes, The Walking Dead, True Blood. I tried Boardwalk Empire and found it tedious. In my opinon, when we do drama well, we do it better than anyone else. That's why I watch so much BBC4!