Options

JUPITER ASCENDING delayed until feb 6 2015!

jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57247339/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

Warner Bros. has delayed the Andy and Lana Wachowski movie “Jupiter Ascending” from July 18 to Feb. 6, 2015.

The studio did not give a reason for pulling the sci-fier from the summer schedule a mere seven weeks before its opening.

Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis, Eddie Redmayne, Douglas Booth and Sean Bean are starring. The Wachowskis produced and directed from their own script.

Story, set at a time when humans are at the bottom of the evolutionary ladder, follows a woman targeted for assassination by the queen of the universe.

Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow co-financed the $150 million project.

“Jupiter Ascending” was originally dated by Warner Bros. for July more than a year ago.

DAMN IT :(

Comments

• Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Odd. Wasn't something similar pulled with, I think, G.I. Joe 2 a year or two ago? Hope it's as good as it looks.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised, it looked awful.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,318
    Forum Member
    That's what they get when they have a terrible potato faced "actor" as the lead.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channing Tatum is bringing bad luck to these big budget movies, first GI Joe: Retaliation and now this :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The suggestion is that it has poor test scores and tracking in the single digits. (Essentially the people that have seen it don't like it, and very few people have heard of it.) But Warner Bros. are claiming it needs more time for FX work.

Lots of people seem to think it's going to be so awful and bomb so hard, it might be the end of the Wachowskis' career.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The suggestion is that it has poor test scores and tracking in the single digits. (Essentially the people that have seen it don't like it, and very few people have heard of it.)

I've read about that as well. But then with that kind of budget, they'll have to release it either way and hope for the best I suppose.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Not entirely surprised by the move judging from the schedule. Dawn of the Apes could still be packing them in and same-day opener Sex Tape looks like it'll connect with a broad audience. Throw in all the talk of poor screenings and it did look a little doomed. Not sure if the Febuary graveyard slot will help matters either. At least Tatum has 22 Jump Street out soon, which'll probably give him a hit.

But it's looking rather shaky for Warners regarding their recent Fantasy/SF outings. Godzilla's done well but is fading fast, Transcendence bombed, and Edge of Tomorrow might get thumped by teen romance The Fault in Our Stars (good reviews/word of mouth may save its bacon mind). And now this.

For the Wachowskis, it's now back to The Matrix apparently.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the trailer for this came on when I went to see X-Men DOFP on it's opening night in a packed cinema, it got mainly laughs from the crowd who thought it looked silly, had an uninteresting story and mainly for Channing Tatum and the make-up he had on. This is the kind of audience that film should have been catering for and they didn't like it. I think they've pulled it to do some more story work rather than effects, plus February is the "graveyard" slot for movies to be released if previous threads discussing February releases are to be believed. I think WB know themselves they're probably gonna lose money on this.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't actually think channing tatum is that bad. he was great in a guide to recognizing your saints and magic mike and very funny in 21 jump street. critics were also saying he could have easily taken home the best actor award at cannes this year for fox catcher. yes he's made some shit - the vow etc - but when he's got a good script and director i think he's quite good. certainly better than some of the other 'hunks' around at the moment.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It looks like a self-indulgent load of pap, and looks to have basically the same plot outline as The Matrix (lowly worker is found by somebody and thrust into a much larger ongoing war that they knew nothing about, and of which they are destined to be the key to the salvation of mankind)

Tatum resembles some kind of effeminate, gay Vulcan. :D
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smart move. I read this article about a guy who's got a very good success rate for predicting box office figures, and he predicted it would be the summer's biggest bomb.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/344991
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    ^ I don't think anyone was predicting big results for it though. Boxoffice.com offered a rather limp $58m and Boxofficemojo weren't kind either ("..the next John Carter or Battleship").

btw - that Creutz fella is way out on some of his numbers, overestimating Blended, TASM 2 and A Million Ways by quite a degree.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    ITatum resembles some kind of effeminate, gay Vulcan. :D

Well won't you be surprised when he receives an Oscar nomination next year for Foxcatcher. I'm calling it now, in the same vein that people would never have expected Jonah Hill to receive one, Tatum will get a nomination. He won't win, but he will be nominated.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Well won't you be surprised when he receives an Oscar nomination next year for Foxcatcher. I'm calling it now, in the same vein that people would never have expected Jonah Hill to receive one, Tatum will get a nomination. He won't win, but he will be nominated.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean that his look in Jupiter Ascending isn't awful.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i kind of like the washowskis (sp). they seem to go their own way; they're definitely different to other blockbuster directors like michael bay
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really got the hate for Speed Racer which imo was a Manga cartoon fully realised on-screen. It was bonkers but brilliant. Cloud Atlas whilst confusing i quite liked.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Total Film are going to be a little red faced then as they've put it on their cover this month.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Total Film are going to be a little red faced then as they've put it on their cover this month.

They can always reprint it next year.