Mark Gatiss's Doctor Who Reboot

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If his reboot was chosen to bring the show back, would it have been a success as it is now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_(series_1)

Comments

• Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Is this hos idea that the Doctor would be the audience surrogate, rather then the companion. I don't know about if it would work, what I wonder how it would work!
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    If his reboot was chosen to bring the show back, would it have been a success as it is now?

Link doesn't work.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    You could speculate what if's all day, but I think the success is self evident that RTD was absolutely the best person to bring it back. Just by reading any random sections of the writers tale I get the impression of a man who put absolutely everything he had into the show day and night for his entire run, and I think it showed on screen. Moffat may have managed to keep it going as a succesful brand, but it was RTD who actually took it from being the joke of a funny little sci fi show that used to be, and that was only really known amongst older people, and seems it was percieved that it was 'of it's time' and couldn't work in this day and age, and not only brought it back, but turned it into a flagship bbc one drama known by all.

Besides, if Gatiss's idea was a 'reboot' then I imagine much of the audience who grew up with classic who and still watch now, would have automatically shunned it on principle and as such the audience wouldn't have been as big as it is now. Even as someone who grew up in the 90's and wasn't really aware of the show until it's return I like the fact that they did it as continuation, as they took something that once was, and rather than the usual 'lets remake that' attitude, they struck the perfect balance between a show for those who had never seen it, and a show that was clearly a continuation of the older show already loved by older people, and as such we now have one show that is 52 years old as opposed to one 26 year old show only fondly remembered by older people and one 10 year old show which may not have ever made it to years if it wasn't done in exactly all the right ways that it was in tone, storyline and production.

I'll admit that it can get a little tedious at times knowing every episode of the past 10 years and talking as someone knowledgable of the show, only to have someone counter arguments with some obscure point from the 70's or 80's for example, but even then I wouldn't change that it's all one show, and I respect those people's right to bring up points that old as I suspect that if the show goes for many years I'll probably find myself doing the same one day. There may even be some younger kids or people who have only just really got into the show who might view me or others as an old obsessive type for bringing up points from series 1 at this stage, such as the show has been revived for 10 years already. It's not really 'new' who any more at all.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the Wikipedia page doesn't say much. Apparently, the information comes from pages 183-185 of T is for Television by Mark Aldridge and Andy Murray.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Television-Screen-Adventures-Russell-Davies/dp/1905287844

Can anyone who has a copy provide a fuller description of Gatiss's proposed series?
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    For me, RTD got everything right - from Rose's back story to getting rid of Gallifrey. The show was modern, funny, accessible and romantic. In actual fact, it was pretty cool.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, you'll be as old as some of us codgers one day, DBB. ;-)
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    For me, RTD got everything right - from Rose's back story to getting rid of Gallifrey. The show was modern, funny, accessible and romantic. In actual fact, it was pretty cool.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Yeah, you'll be as old as some of us codgers one day, DBB. ;-)
    I know, I can jut imagine the day where I mention the Tennant era for example and some youngsters who are currently watching say, the 16th doctor barely have no idea what I'm going on about except for a passing recognition of the name. I'll feel positively ancient. :D
    Forum Member
    I think during the RTD years, there were 'nods' to the old continuity without it being too onerous. I personally liked the subtle references more than the obvious ones.

I think School Reunion is a great example of this - a story working on two levels for old and new viewers. For us oldsters, we could see the episode from Sarah Jane's perspective - meeting up with the Doctor after all those years.

But new viewers could see it from Rose's perspective - realising she's not the Doctor's first travelling companion and wondering what Sarah Jane's experience of travelling with the Doctor means for her.

I think as the years have gone by, the 'nods' to classic Who have become too obvious. I hated "The Name of the Doctor" and all of its clips of old Doctors with Clara.
    Forum Member
    I think during the RTD years, there were 'nods' to the old continuity without it being too onerous. I personally liked the subtle references more than the obvious ones.

I think School Reunion is a great example of this - a story working on two levels for old and new viewers. For us oldsters, we could see the episode from Sarah Jane's perspective - meeting up with the Doctor after all those years.

But new viewers could see it from Rose's perspective - realising she's not the Doctor's first travelling companion and wondering what Sarah Jane's experience of travelling with the Doctor means for her.

I think as the years have gone by, the 'nods' to classic Who have become too obvious. I hated "The Name of the Doctor" and all of its clips of old Doctors with Clara.
    Regarding school reunion, the episode itself makes it clear before he reveals his true identity that Sarah Jane is someone special from his past (as did the media and publicity at the time). I really like the scene where she backs into the cupboard to hide from the monsters, then turns around to see the TARDIS and then backs out again as though nothing could spook her as much as what she has just seen - a thing she never imagined she'd see again. The atmosphere, music, camera angles, Elizabeth sladen's acting everything about that scene is fantastic, then the subsequent understated meeting of her and the doctor now that she knows the truth of him.

As someone who had never watched a single classic who ep at that point, I felt that I could see it from the doctors point of view, rose's point of view, and Sarah Jane's point of view all the same.

I think in Moffats era, he has mostly continued the trend of respecting older fans whilst writing returning villains/plot points in an also introductory way for 'new' who viewers but at times he get a little indulgent. Take the ever increasingly prominent mentions of the brigadier for example. I haven't seen any of his episodes (except his part in the 5 doctors) so I don't really have any opinion either way on the character, but the first time I can remember him being prominently mentioned (not including the the quick one line suggestive nod to him by Tennant as it was just that a slight suggestive nod that would have easily gone over the head of anyone who didn't know) was the phone call to his nursing home in the series 6 finale. If you have no idea who the brigadier is that would be a whole scene which leaves you completely confused as to who the person he tried to ring was, and why it was important. Whats wore is that it was a rather vital scene as hearing about his death was what reminded him that everyone dies and convinced him to finally go and face his fate. Then you have Kate Stewart and all the mention's and nod's of her father, yet still no information on the man or why it is significant or why we should care. Then in the series 8 finale we have mentions of him again and even a cyberman zombie brigadier, but still, anyone who has even watched the entirety of new who. without having at least a passing knowledge of classic who it all means nothing. I myself do have a basic knowledge of classic who, so I get it, but it is very different from the usual considerate way they write things. It's almost like a 'thats not for you' type situation for new who only viewers.
    Forum Member
    Regarding school reunion, the episode itself makes it clear before he reveals his true identity that Sarah Jane is someone special from his past (as did the media and publicity at the time). I really like the scene where she backs into the cupboard to hide from the monsters, then turns around to see the TARDIS and then backs out again as though nothing could spook her as much as what she has just seen - a thing she never imagined she'd see again. The atmosphere, music, camera angles, Elizabeth sladen's acting everything about that scene is fantastic, then the subsequent understated meeting of her and the doctor now that she knows the truth of him. As someone who had never watched a single classic who ep at that point, I felt that I could see it from the doctors point of view, rose's point of view, and Sarah Jane's point of view all the same.

That's a lovely post. Thank you doctor blue box. I watch School Reunion every now and again (it remains one of my favourite ever Doctor Who stories). And the scene you are referring to still sends shivers down my spine.
    Forum Member
    That's a lovely post. Thank you doctor blue box. I watch School Reunion every now and again (it remains one of my favourite ever Doctor Who stories). And the scene you are referring to still sends shivers down my spine.
    Me too :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the very few episodes I'll still happily rewatch from Series 2.

(Whithouse also holds that position for Series 6... :p )
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would. I get the impression Mark's Doctor Who would be quite dandy and flamboyant. A lot of his episodes have a 70s throwback feel to them (although Crimson Horror and Robot of Sherwood have shown he's much, much better when writing comedy).

The show had to be fresh, modern and yet still loyal to its past which a reboot probably wouldn't manage, however much of a fanboy Mark is.

There's also the fact that with Russell there was confidence. Not only with actors like Christopher Eccleston approaching the show but probably less fussing and tampering by the BBC. Russell was a safe pair of hands and that's why it worked so well.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it was spot on to introduce the Doctor's past gradually so as not to confuse new viewers when Who came back. ie Learn from the mistakes of the McGann 'movie'. IIRC Gallifrey was first mentioned by name in the 2006 Christmas Special, for example. But certainly in the RTD era, once the series had bedded in, we had plenty of references, so that we ended up with Davros, Rassilon and the Timelords, The Master, Sontarans, clips of the previous Doctors, etc.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.
    DS needs to update the link parsing function on the forum, it always cuts off before a closing bracket.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    DS needs to update the link parsing function on the forum, it always cuts off before a closing bracket.

I find adding it as a hyperlink works - never had an issue with it!
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »

Ah, thank you :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    But to be fair, that was the anniversary year, and the episode was designed as a lead-in to the anniversary special. Be glad that that was the point where the self-indulgence took hold.
    Forum Member
    But to be fair, that was the anniversary year, and the episode was designed as a lead-in to the anniversary special. Be glad that that was the point where the self-indulgence took hold.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I guess I'm always a bit worried that classic Who is such a vast entity in its own right that including too much of it in New Who will be a turn-off for viewers - or at least be confusing. I think it's the same reason I also don't enjoy stories that are too insular like 'Into the TARDIS'.

But, as you say, that was the anniversary year and it all seems much more contained now. They don't even mention Clara's 'Impossible Girl' story anymore even when they easily could have done (e.g. "Into the Dalek"). So they do seem to be keeping everything quite new and clean these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Name of the Doctor was over indulgent it came in the anniversary year and I thought it was a very clever way of paying homage to the classic doctors. As a mainly classic fan I loved this episode. I think you have to bear in mind how many fans come from the original show and since the 50th was a homage to new who rather than the classic viewers. Personally think it balanced out well classic fans had name and new fans had 50th anniversary.

The brigadier being killed off on screen I can understand for many that it may have been confusing however again for classic fans it was a nice nod. However I think you have to bear in mind that we lost Elizabeth Sladen which was a huge loss and quite rightly she had a in memory of at the end of the episode. Which is right because currently she was on the TV with her own show and was a huge loss. If you put one up for Nicholas Courtney possibly people would have felt it would take away something from Elizabeth. Nicholas did a lot for Doctor Who but may not have be as well know for new series fans. So I think its a compromise, a nice touch and a goodbye to a well loved character, although possibly not as dramatic for new viewers maybe. Personally I thought it was a lovely idea.
    Cyber brigadier idea I didn't like and I still don't like it. I'd preferred they left him with the sad farewell with the phone call however we won't all like everything. However is anyone reads Philllip Sandler's blogs, the Brigades character has always been slightly ridiculous Carry on regardless whatever insane thing is happening. So if you read it that way then the Brig turning up to save his daughter in the nick of time as a rebel cyberman actually makes perfect sense.

I don't like flying cyberman I know that has nothing to do with this thread but I just dont