Options

Isn't Tonsilitis Horrible..................

amiloamilo Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been awake all night with a fever,puking hallucinating and sweating like a pig.
What can I do to feel better(antibiotics aren't working yet):(

Comments

• Options
    ontheoutsideontheoutside Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amilo wrote: »
    I've been awake all night with a fever,puking hallucinating and sweating like a pig.

Turn the computer off and go to bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turn the computer off and go to bed.

I am in bed and on the computer to keep my mind off it:cry:
  • Options
    O.o Waaaa?O.o Waaaa? Posts: 5,585
    Forum Member
    Yes I've had it 5 times (twice one after the other :() once more and they're outta there! :p
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    OP you have my sympathies, I've had a few horrible bouts of adult tonsilitis exactly as you described.

As well as your antibiotics, I recommend you stick to a very detoxifying diet- although I appreciate it's difficult to eat at all. I ate fresh fruit and bio-yoghurt and it really put the spring back in my step during my recovery.

Other than that, sweat it out and be patient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel left out because Ive never had it.
  • Options
    MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    Lots of sucky sweets for the sore throat and paracetamol for your fever.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Oh you poor thing :(

Keep taking fluids and the tablets - you will feel better soon. Join one of the more fevered debated to take your mind off it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP you have my sympathies, I've had a few horrible bouts of adult tonsilitis exactly as you described.

As well as your antibiotics, I recommend you stick to a very detoxifying diet- although I appreciate it's difficult to eat at all. I ate fresh fruit and bio-yoghurt and it really put the spring back in my step during my recovery.

Other than that, sweat it out and be patient.

Thanks friend!!!I've had a banana since Saturday and puked it up:(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonsillectomy used to be one of my favourite ops when I was working in an operating theatre!!! The surgical instruments are really bizarre looking!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Yep.

I used to get it all the time - every four to six weeks - so I had them out eventually.

I hardly ever suffer from sore throats these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone!And "ontheoutside"you are very lucky as it is the most horrible feeling.
  • Options
    cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member

Yes it is bloomin horrible. I've had it a couple of times as an adult and you have my sympathies.

Until I had it, I always thought that tonsilitis was just a sore throat. The passing out (manly fainting), puking and hallucinations came as a bit of a shock.

But 5 days of antibiotics should sort you out.

Hope you feel better soon. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have my deepest sympathies. :( I've only had tonisilitis once, and it was evil..truly evil.

My best advice to you is to sleep. That's pretty much all I did when I had it.

Hope you feel better soon OP. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone!And "ontheoutside"you are very lucky as it is the most horrible feeling.

I'll probably have it when I wake up in the morning now.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably have it when I wake up in the morning now.:D

I hope not!And thanks for all the replies,and hope no one gets it anytime soon!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,033
    Forum Member
    After spending years contracting tonsillitis every few months I finally had my tonsils removed.
    Best thing I ever did :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you poor, poor thing, do you need me to phone a Doctor?
    Is there anything you want?
    I'll just plump up you pillows, what about a nice cold drink with ice?
    Do you want the window open? closed?

There now, don't you feel a bit better?
    A bit of sympathy and a bit of nursing, always makes you feel so much better.

:D
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was just about to start a thread about this when i noticed this one! i got tonsillitis for the very first time this past weekend and i can honestly say i've never felt so bad. and to make it worse i cant sleep or even if i do its only for 5 minutes every couple of hours!

Does anyone know how long it takes for it to go away?!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had mine taken out when I was about 9, because I used to get tonsillitis about 3 times a year. It is awful, and I remember the penicillin I had to take was really yucky. :(

Best thing my parents have ever forced me to do. :D
  • Options
    O.o Waaaa?O.o Waaaa? Posts: 5,585
    Forum Member
    Yep.

I used to get it all the time - every four to six weeks - so I had them out eventually.

I hardly ever suffer from sore throats these days.

Since my doctor said that the next time I get it I have to have them out, everytime I get a sore throat I think "shit!" and get all worried, but then it goes....until the next time. I'm constantly worried. I've never had anything major done in my life, no op's, never broken anything. The only thing I've gone to hospital for are a couple of xrays.

Does it hurt after you have had them out?

Why do we have tonsils anyway if all they do is cause pain? :confused:

eeeee just found this pic on t'internet :(
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first time I had it was the worst. I have not had it for ages:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've suffered with it for years on and off, the docs are now less inclined to taqke them out.

OP make sure you take plenty of luquids plenty of paracetamol and simply rest alot. If you wan t to take throat sweets give the sugary ones a wide berth and get some mecrocaine or dequacaine.. taste like cack but numb the throat nicely.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ooh nasty , drink lots and get in a suitable analgesic to deaden your throat and mind.

Must be tough in this warm weather too , the 2 times I had it it was the middle of a freezing winter , -5 felt quite nice with my temperature.

Try to stay relaxed , listen to nice music or something quiet on tv to keep you calm. Beg your gp to have them removed as soon as you can, life is loads better without bad tonsils.
  • Options
    CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHATEVER you do take your antibiotics, drink lots of fluids and rest.....

I've had tonsilitus many times - it's HORRID - but it pales into insignificance compared to quinsy

I honestly thought on the two occasions I had it that I was dying...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is really nasty. Poor you. :( Getting through it is a slow process but if you feel a little better when the pharmacy opens try getting some of those Throat sweets. There are some that numb the back of the throat, I think they are called something like Tyrlex/tyrolex and are bought in a tube packaging looking a bit like a packet of extra strong mints.