Bill Oddie Leaves Springwatch!

Comments

• Jack's PollocksJack's Pollocks Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    oddie by name oddie by nature, the guy is a few sarnies short of a picnic, good news no more oddie on the springwatch shows,:D
  • Harkins63Harkins63 Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine wrote: »
    Truly shocked, but not surprised. It says he is 'taking a breather'. I'm not so sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/01_january/30/oddie.shtml

I'm quite impressed that the head of the BBC's Natural History Unit has the surname Nightingale.:)

They should replace Oddie with one of the other Goodies.
    Graeme GARDEN perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. Now if Kate Humble would do one then it might be worth watching.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    craftwerc wrote: »
    Good. Now if Kate Humble would do one then it might be worth watching.

"Do one" what? Pardon my inability to follow your thoughts.
    :cool:
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    nightstar wrote: »
    Fantastic news!

I hope the cat hating Chris Packham doesn't take over though.:rolleyes:

You mean to say he hates cats more than Bloddy!:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ** Contemplates sending in a CV **

:D
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddie suffers badly from his nerves and that is probably why he is leaving the show. It is obvious from the fact he cannot keep still and he constantly fidgets scratching his nose, tweaking his ear or playing with something in his hands like a pen. When Kate is talking he is just waiting to butt in all the time and he does.

I think he is rude and arrogant and always wants to be in the limelight maybe that is connected to his nerve problem but I for one will not be sorry to see the back of him.

An ideal replacement would be Simon King but as someone else here said here he probably prefers to be filming rather than studio presenting.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I hate bill oddie.
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I wish Kate had gone instead.
  • Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news lets hope it's a very long break.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How could anyone give up the chance to work beside Kate Humble?
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww that's great news. Now my family can start watching it again. I don't care who takes over so long as it isn't the Klass female
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ideal replacement is Chris Packham.
    Quite agree. Without further consideration he should be the man for the job, certainly not Ben Fogle. I think Simon actually prefers to be out in the field. But either of them would be excellent news as a replacement.
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harkins63 wrote: »
    He was quite rude to Bill Turnbull when BBC1's breakfast show linked up wth him and Kate during the Autumn watch week.
    My mother can't stand him and will be thrilled.:)

If you watched the whole thing it was the newsman Bill who was rude to start with!!
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God not Ben Fogle although he and Kate have history together I suppose . How about Gordon the Scottish guy who loves his foxes and seals.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Nick Knowles rubs his stubbly chin, searches out his old I-Spy Nature books and thinks, 'I can do that!'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    Nick Knowles rubs his stubbly chin, searches out his old I-Spy Nature books and thinks, 'I can do that!'

To quote Blackadder:
    No, Quicksilver, you couldn't.
  • Harkins63Harkins63 Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watched the whole thing it was the newsman Bill who was rude to start with!!

I didn't see the start.
    Bill's a gentleman,i can't believe it.:(
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news. Bill Oddie is a cantakerous old git.

Hope they don't bring Simon King into the studio though - he takes far too long to say anything so they'd only end up covering half of what they usually do.

To be honest, I tend to fast forward his bits just so I can see the animals and not have to hear him speak so s l o w l y :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Hope they don't bring Simon King into the studio though - he takes far too long to say anything so they'd only end up covering half of what they usually do.
    More swooning time for some of us! :D;)

** goes all warm, fuzzy and wibbly inside **
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    delighted Oddie is going - I think they should leave Simon doing the OBs as that's where he's happiest

I agree Chris Packham would be good - what's Terry Nutkins up to nowadays?
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother thinks he is absolutely wonderful, and watches everything he does - however I myself do tend to agree with some of the negative comments here. He just isn't a natural frontman for a live broadcast, and his inability to cope with that role can make for uncomfortable viewing. I would like to think he might still make some contribution to the programme, but in the form of the pre-recorded packages which he is perfectly good at, and which show him in a much better light.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just hope its not kate silverton they bring in, she ruined big cat week. they really need someone that knows about wildlife. chris packham would be good anyone thats non wildlife would ruin the show. even john craven would be good at a push but never ben fogle that would be the kiss of death for the show. Bill Oddie should stay, as he knows his stuff.
  • EnactOnlineEnactOnline Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be sorry to see Bill go. I think he made the programme what it is. I know he comes over as a little rough around the edges and probably a little unprofessional at times, but it is a nature programme after all, and I can forgive him being like that. I really don't think Bill deserves some of the rude personal comments made about him. Grow up people. :rolleyes:

He did do a really bad interview with Ballroom Bill, but Ballroom Bill is always going to win a tussle with Birdie Bill. Anyway, I forgive him for that.

I blame the United Nations for this.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FCC9pzKiJ5A
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably get Ant and Dec :(