It has been confirmed. Live feed axed. (Part 10)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or do you think its to late to get some of the old viewers back?

Yes I do, it would give the show more buzz, it would get the media on board more when things happen in turn it would bring more people in to watch the HL show as curosity would form, it can only be a good move for C5 to bring the live feed back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realistically probably not. LF Viewers like to have a sense of superiority, like they are better fans than the casual viewer (not everyone has time to watch LF). Like seen in many previous years in this forum the LF viewers woulld come on here and say something along the lines of "I saw that argument live...why would I watch the watered down version in HL show".

Though the arrogance is misplaced, the theory isn't. If you watched the unedited version then why come back and watch an edited version.

I don't think so. Many LF supporters didn't even watch much of it. A lot just like to read the WHATM threads and the other stuff people posted on here as things happened live. I wasn't a prolific watcher of live feed myself but I knew what was happening at all times from on here.
  • crisis3crisis3 Posts: 2,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother has been around for over a decade. Thats a long time for a reality tv show and even if the show was great some viewers will naturally get bored.

The fact is the majority of the viewers even when they were hitting huge numbers on C4 never watched live feed...they relied on 40 minute show every day to get to know these people.

There is a lot of truth in that my mum and sister watched the eviction shows and the nominatons and maybe the odd other show and they would vote to save a favourite. However they relied on me to keep them updated on what else was going on in the live streams and usualy their favourites were based around those discussions. They arent watching this CBB maostly down to Jedward and lack of coverage of anyone else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I never said that the casual viewers would stick with the show either. In fact, I'm predicting the HLs to drop to 1.5m during BB12 (average).

But I don't think having the LF would increase the ratings either.

I and my family would be watching CBB, none of us watch the HL show, and as we cannot judge who to vote for, we don't vote.
    We didn't watch them sleep or anything like that but we were able to form our own opinions.
    One large family lost regretfully
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with this is, once the casuals leave then the figures will drop. And with many die hards refusing now to ever watch the show on C5, I think Jeff Ford has dropped a really major clanger.

If we had Live Feed and the casual fans left then the show would be over anyway. Though they are in a big mass in this forum the fact is there are not that many LF viewers. Plus some who watch LF dont watch the HL show.

Its the casual viewer that Channel 5 need. Its what Channel 4 needed too. There has never been enough "Die Hard LF" viewers to substantiate Big Brother.

Their making the right decision going after the casual viewer.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not instantly.
    It wouldn't happen directly where you install a live feed and it transfers to x amount of viewers overnight.
    Won't work as instantly as that.

But if you have a good show then over time the live feed would work indirectly to help improve things alongside other show elements.

I must emphasise that you still need to have a good show or you won't get decent ratings with or without a live feed.
  • Soulrebel1980Soulrebel1980 Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    I'd like the LF back.

But I don't think that BB isn't BB just because there is no LF. Last time I was watching the LF compulsively was BB7. After that my interest gradually waned although I did like being able to dip in and out when I'd wanted to.

Sorry, been watching the bytes back show, so just seen your message, no, not you, I was told a few people from Channel 5 would be partaking in a debate on here today, it's all good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are these stooges then? :confused:
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kensitt wrote: »
    I and my family would be watching CBB, none of us watch the HL show, and as we cannot judge who to vote for, we don't vote.
    We didn't watch them sleep or anything like that but we were able to form our own opinions.
    One large family lost regretfully
    There is the problem. Why should they offer a service that discourages people (since I've noticed a lot of posts saying how they only watch LF) from watching the main attraction, the HLs? I say that the HLs are the main attraction because presumably that's where C5 get the most revenue from - advertisements, product placement, etc.

With the LF, you wouldn't watching the HLs. Without the LF, you still wouldn't be watching the HLs. Therefore - no loss, no gain.
  • CAPRI GLCAPRI GL Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Live feed was instrumental in wrecking UK BB and resulted in C4 viewing the franchise as a liability,
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, been watching the bytes back show, so just seen your message, no, not you, I was told a few people from Channel 5 would be partaking in a debate on here today, it's all good
    I understand :)
  • cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, constant cut-aways and bird sound effects are surefire ratings winners.

You clearly watched alot of live feed last year when there was hardly any sound dips/birds singing. The sound dips only really happened last year when BB was playing the h/m music.

To answer the OP question I don't think bringing LIVE FEED back now will save the show, it is doomed i tell you doomed.

The hardcore LIVE FEED watcher/fan is now done with BB, the last time i watched was last Monday and i am 0/3 on eviction shows. Having never missed an eviction show till this series. I was also a crowd member who always cheers the h/m for 2 of the last 3 years.

I hope C5 see sense but know they won't. They want 16-24 year olds watching not someone of 37.
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. But i for 1 used to watch both . I also feel though that channel 5 should be making more of an effort to do it a lot better than channel 4 if they dont then it could be R.I.P BB forever.

I know I am a doom and gloom merchant, but at this stage in time, that would be a good option

Perhaps the real BB could be raised in a few years time

... after C5 have done the "Secret Story" for a few years
  • JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CAPRI GL wrote: »
    Live feed was instrumental in wrecking UK BB and resulted in C4 viewing the franchise as a liability,

I disagree entirely. Channel 4 helped wreck BB with their pitiful attempts at developing the show. The fact that they toned down live coverage helped wreck the show. Channel 5 are even worse with their 40 minutes of edited highlights every day. As a result BB is now a soap opera and not what it should be.
    Look at this forum, for example. It is dead, now, in comparison to how it used to be when we had live feed. The excitement and buzz that this generated has gone.
    I look forward to the x factor feeds. This will sink big brother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,538
    Forum Member
    yes, it would go up by at least 1 - as I would watch it again,

I would also make my hubby watch it, talk about it to F&F, and also at work.

in its current format, I dont give a damn.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the casual viewer that Channel 5 need. Its what Channel 4 needed too. There has never been enough "Die Hard LF" viewers to substantiate Big Brother.

Thats a far too simplistic view of what live feed does for the show.

There are two reasons it got past series one.

Nick Bateman and live feed.

The show was pretty much ignored by the media at large until Craig did the 'round the table' confrontation.

It was that moment that BB became what it was for a good 7 years, a license to print money for the media in general.

Because it was broadcast live, not only did viewers see it, but the sun, mirror , tv news ran the story of 'nasty' nick , all before it had even aired on the highlight shows, it boosted viewing figures, but more than that, it established a profitable link between tabloids and the show.

It is that link which has sustained the show over the years, sometimes to its own detriment with the focus on tabloid friendly glamour girls and faux relationships as the years went on, but its the link between media and show that drove viewing figures, the largest viewing figures came when the Sun was actively campaigning about the show on its front page (vote out the pig or whatever it was).

All the major tabloids had sections on BB, the sun had a live update team from start to finish, its that connection thats missing now, its not just viewers that are denied live feed, its reporters, they have nothing to write about, so the show doesnt get media attention, which it needs to survive.

There is a reason that this year, the first year Cowell isnt around to create and micromanage the media coverage of his show, X Factor has live feed from the house.
  • amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Realistically probably not. LF Viewers like to have a sense of superiority, like they are better fans than the casual viewer (not everyone has time to watch LF). Like seen in many previous years in this forum the LF viewers woulld come on here and say something along the lines of "I saw that argument live...why would I watch the watered down version in HL show".

Though the arrogance is misplaced, the theory isn't. If you watched the unedited version then why come back and watch an edited version.

I watched LF and then HLs to see how certain events and hms were edited. For example Josie and Dave generally had good HL edits last year and finished 1st and 2nd. However the LF was far less flattering to them. Instinctively I didn't take to Josie or Dave from the start and the LF strengthened my gut feelings about them. I guess I just prefer the extra dimension of LF, particularly for the normal BB when it's just a houseful of unknowns.

That said, the majority of BB viewers don't watch LF or come on to the forums so ultimately the winners are largely voted for by HL viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    100% yes the fans will feel more involved,and not only that it will create a bigger buzz guaranteed bb would be trending constantly, forums would be alive again and the Facebook page would be a nicer place, channel five would be stupid not to rectify the live feed issue!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The show was pretty much ignored by the media at large until Craig did the 'round the table' confrontation.

It was that moment that BB became what it was for a good 7 years, a license to print money for the media in general.

Because it was broadcast live, not only did viewers see it, but the sun, mirror , tv news ran the story of 'nasty' nick , all before it had even aired on the highlight shows, it boosted viewing figures, but more than that, it established a profitable link between tabloids and the show.

It is that link which has sustained the show over the years, sometimes to its own detriment with the focus on tabloid friendly glamour girls and faux relationships as the years went on, but its the link between media and show that drove viewing figures, the largest viewing figures came when the Sun was actively campaigning about the show on its front page (vote out the pig or whatever it was).

All the major tabloids had sections on BB, the sun had a live update team from start to finish, its that connection thats missing now, its not just viewers that are denied live feed, its reporters, they have nothing to write about, so the show doesnt get media attention, which it needs to survive.

There is a reason that this year, the first year Cowell isnt around to create and micromanage the media coverage of his show, X Factor has live feed from the house.

X factor will have LF from the House.:confused: If that is true who needs BB?
    Your points like a lot of the others are good ones and I largely agree. The point is though if what you have just said is true why would a Show that is highly successful introduce it at all given the low take up and costs.
    Some body must have blundered both lots of producers doing opposite things can not be right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not simplistic at all. The way you are looking at this is that LF is the reason the show was huge...how can that be if most people did not watch LF to begin with?

I see your point about the rountable but it was just shown on HL anyway...that's how most people remember that moment. I actually do credit Nick Bateman for the initial success of BB.

I would suggest if you think LF is so important to Big Brother then how come neither Channel 5 nor Endemol (people who would have much more knowledge on the situation) seem to think so.

The tabloids lost interest because Channel 4 did and as for these days, of course Richard Desmond is going to prefer the Star to have the inside scoop. So other media will pretend it doesn't exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CAPRI GL wrote: »

More instrumental is the way Endemol Edits the show in the UK.Look at all other bigbrothers and this Creative editing simply isnt an issue.

It hasnt been a social experiment for many years even when there was live coverage.It also shows just how much trouble Endemol Must be in to agree to having the show ripped apart in this manner.

As it stands Bigbrother 12 Housemates will be more outside the house than Brian.Maybe the biggest joke is this show still being Called Bigbrother
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is the problem. Why should they offer a service that discourages people (since I've noticed a lot of posts saying how they only watch LF) from watching the main attraction, the HLs? I say that the HLs are the main attraction because presumably that's where C5 get the most revenue from - advertisements, product placement, etc.

With the LF, you wouldn't watching the HLs. Without the LF, you still wouldn't be watching the HLs. Therefore - no loss, no gain.

They would gain, if they were paying to watch LF.
  • livefeed24/7nowlivefeed24/7now Posts: 8,801
    Forum Member
    More instrumental is the way Endemol Edits the show in the UK.Look at all other bigbrothers and this Creative editing simply isnt an issue.

It hasnt been a social experiment for many years even when there was live coverage.It also shows just how much trouble Endemol Must be in to agree to having the show ripped apart in this manner.

As it stands Bigbrother 12 Housemates will be more outside the house than Brian.Maybe the biggest joke is this show still being Called Bigbrother

i think anyone hoping that big brother 12 will be better than cbb will be disappointed
    it will move even further away from the original format in my opinion

big brother is just another reality show these days,it's a shadow of it's former self

rather than implementing minor tweaks here & there, channel 5 have totally wrecked the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    They would gain, if they were paying to watch LF.

Channel 5 being a Terrestrial channel make their money out of advertising. So higher viewers for LF will be more valuable to them than a few thousand paying for LF and not watching HL shows.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X factor will have LF from the House.:confused: If that is true who needs BB?
    Your points like a lot of the others are good ones and I largely agree. The point is though if what you have just said is true why would a Show that is highly successful introduce it at all given the low take up and costs.
    Some body must have blundered both lots of producers doing opposite things can not be right.

Because looking at TV ratings in isolation isnt worth a damn, you have to look at why the ratings happen.

With all the really big shows, without exception, its built on tabloid coverage, X Factor has stories daily in all tabloids, fed by Cowell, he hates jedward, hes fell out with Danny, Cheryl farted, whatever it is, it starts nearly 2 months before the show airs, and continues daily until its run ends.

Thats not an accident, its that sort of coverage that creates the huge viewing figures.

Why they are having a live feed this year? No Simon to feed the daily stories, so he substitutes whats happening in the house, ensuring daily coverage without the fabricated 'judges conflict' or whatever, indeed, it may simply be they want this lot of judges to be looked at as a harmonious group and just want the stories to come from elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.