50" tv plasma or lcd?

:confused:Hi all

I am wanting to buy a 50" tv but i dont know what to go for ?, plasma or led ? that includes 3d if its here to stay!?

Comments

• in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    It would help to know what your budget is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Im not sure want a good quality unit £600-£800? Im not sure what it costs for a decent tv
  • in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    With the two quality brands such as Panasonic or Sony you'll struggle for 3D but this is available at the top end of your budget and it comes with a 2 free pairs of glasses offer.

Very worthwhile paying the extra 10% for 5 year cover.

Panasonic will be releasing their 2013 range next month so you may find this even cheaper soon.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also bear in mind that, unless you are on Sky, the majority of your channels will still be standard definition. This will probably change in time, but not immediately. It is, therefore, worth considering how your chosen set handles SD pictures. Some are decidedly better than others. 50" is a big blow-up for SD, so it is definitely worth checking.
    Forum Member
    How do you know which tv is better handling sd pictures? I have sky hd but as you know still limited in hd channels. Also want to use tv for ps3 games, im not botherd about having internet and all that gear on it, just want a good picture and the possibilty if budget allows of 3d so i am future proof
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an LED TV recently from Richer Sounds. I auditioned them before parting with my cash. When I arrived, they were all showing Cartoon Network, which is no test of a TV's abilities because cartoons look good on anything. I asked the manager to show me some standard definition stuff. He switched to 'Football Focus' on BBC 1 (SD) and that sorted out the men from the boys. He explained that all the demo sets were receiving their signals through a network of switching boxes, and that what they were showing would be nowhere near as good as what I could expect from my set at home, which seemed reasonable enough. Even so, it was quite clear that some sets were resolving the wrinkles on the presenters' faces while others weren't. Ironically, one of the best was also the cheapest in the class that I was looking at (37" - 42") It was a Philips 39" job, and that is what I bought.

On getting it home, it took me ages to set the thing up properly. Philips had set everything to maximum by default, resulting in a picture that was far too garish to watch. By a process of trial and error, I managed to tone everything down until I was happy with it. Now it delivers superb HD pictures and surprisingly good SD ones. What the manager told me was right. SD doesn't match HD for sheer quality, but it remains perfectly watchable - even on the lower bitrate channels, like Dave. I have YouView and it is possible that the box is lending a helping hand with the scaling, but on the odd occasion when both tuners are being used and I resort to the TV's own tuner, it still looks good.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    He explained that all the demo sets were receiving their signals through a network of switching boxes, and that what they were showing would be nowhere near as good as what I could expect from my set at home, which seemed reasonable enough.

Not at all - it's complete crap!! :p

Freeview is digital - splitting it to multiple sets makes no difference to the quality of the picture at all, and for that matter it didn't with analogue either (as long as it was done correctly, which a shop should have been doing anyway).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all that, the quality of SD pictures on my set at home is far better than it was in the shop - and it was even before I set it up properly.
    Forum Member
    As its not possible to view tv's in person can you tell by the spec sd spec etc,

Is there any good tv rewiew sites online to get some options?

Still not sure on led or plasma?
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for the plasma, I've heard the plasma gives a better picture quality overall, and they don't suffer from burn in like they used to. Also they last as long as a LCD too apparently.

Think they cost abit more though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trusted Reviews is a good site, as is Hdtvtest.co.uk. Both will comment on a set's SD performance. Neither is as useful as seeing it for yourself, though, because you are having to interpret somebody else's opinion. If a personal audition is not possible, though, you could do worse than consult either of therm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plasmas tend to be heavier than LEDs, and they use more electricity. They also tend to be less bright. Against this, they also tend to have deeper blacks, don't suffer from motion lag and have wider viewing angles. None of these things is absolute, however. There are LED sets with deep blacks and clean motion (although nothing else is quite as deep as a Panasonic Plasma) and plasmas that don't weigh a ton. It's roundabouts and swings. FInd a model that suits your tastes and your wallet and it doesn't really matter what technology it uses.
    Forum Member
    For all that, the quality of SD pictures on my set at home is far better than it was in the shop - and it was even before I set it up properly.

A shop is a VERY poor environment to evaluate picture quality, basically because it's far too bright.
    Forum Member
    A shop is a VERY poor environment to evaluate picture quality, basically because it's far too bright.

What set would you recomend ?
    Forum Member
    looking on currys web site , does this seem good value//good spec ?

There is so many to choose from!:confused:

SAMSUNGPS51E550 Full HD 51" Plasma 3D TV
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    dyk316 wrote: »
    looking on currys web site , does this seem good value//good spec ?

There is so many to choose from!:confused:

SAMSUNGPS51E550 Full HD 51" Plasma 3D TV

Have you had a look at the Panasonic ST50 ?

The ST50, GT50 and VT50 Range is coming to an end ready for the 60 range this year.

The TVs were the best of 2012 and offer exceptional picture quality once set up.

CURRYS have one but have a look around......

REMEMBER You cant compare well in shops ! !

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p50st50b-full-hd-50-plasma-3d-tv-13066381-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~CHEETAH+MARKETING~TV%2c+DVD+%26+Blu-ray~13066381&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mpxlmxxi&istBid=t
    Forum Member
    What set would you recomend ?

The two best makes, by a considerable margin, are Sony and Panasonic.

But if you want a Plasma, Panasonic are one of the few manufacturers who still make them.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for help, i just dont know bewteen plasma/led , all i want is a good picture for sky,movies,3d, games

Everyone seems to be going with panasonic for best choice?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for help, i just dont know bewteen plasma/led , all i want is a good picture for sky,movies,3d, games

If you're a big gamer, then Plasma is probably the one to go for, as I understand the screens have a faster response time.
    Forum Member

You can't really go wrong with each technology type if you get the best you can afford.

However Plasma does still offer a better picture for the £ and size in comparison to LCD.

If I was going for a TV now, I would go with a Panasonic ST50 or GT50. Plasma. The Samsungs are very good too but have slightly less black levels

Here's the general breakdown...

Plasma pros..
    -Excellent black levels which add depth and solidity to the picture.
    -Excellent viewing angles. No fade of colour or contrast or introduction of 3D crosstalk off angle.
    -Very high response times give less motion blur and smear compared to LCD. Better for sport and gaming.
    -Screen generates its own light from the pixels meaning no backlight or contrast issues
    -more naturalistic and gritty picture. Good plasmas display exactly what they are given.
    -warmer, more cinematic quality to pictures and better black levels mean they are fantastic for movies and dark rooms.
    -active 3d gives better viewing angles, less crosstalk and fullHD 3D.

Plasma cons..
    -Higher power use compared to LED
    -Lower light output and reflective screens mean they struggle in bright sunny rooms.
    --can suffer from exposing banding in colours which is both down to broadcast and the way the panels work.
    -image retention and in the worse scenario screen burn can still happen.
    -active 3d can flicker in bright rooms (not the screen) and glasses are expensive and need charging.

LCD pros
    -Bright poppy pictures that are clean and stand up well during the day or sunny , bright rooms.
    -Lower power consumption and less weight.
    -passive 3D used in most LED/LCD has cheaper glasses that don't need charging.
    -Pictures can appear to be sharper and cleaner.

LCD cons
    - viewing angles can still cause picture colour, contrast and black levels to fade when viewed off-angle from the middle.
    - passive 3D used in most LCD can go crosstalk heavy when viewed off angle from the middle and isn't fullHD.
    -black levels aren't as good as Plasma and can cause the picture to loose shadow detail and depth in comparison. Especially in darker rooms for movie nights.
    -backlight issues are very common introducing banding, halos, light leaks etc on the picture.
    Response times are lower and cause smear, and blur. Heavy processing can be used to smooth out these issues which introduce lag and don't completely remove natural LCD blur.
    Forum Member
    Thanks

that gives me a better idea of differnce bewteen both,so pros/cons on both plasma/leds.

so best way to make decision is what tv you get best deal on , the panasonics gt50's seem to be bout £8-900? what model of samsungs come close to the gt50's if any?

Is there much price differnce bewteen 46" & 50" thinking could get better quality tv but not as big screen size?
    Forum Member
    Thanks

that gives me a better idea of differnce bewteen both,so pros/cons on both plasma/leds.

so best way to make decision is what tv you get best deal on , the panasonics gt50's seem to be bout £8-900? what model of samsungs come close to the gt50's if any?

Is there much price differnce bewteen 46" & 50" thinking could get better quality tv but not as big screen size?

The GT50 is the better TV. You could also get a smaller VT50 which is Panasonics top range TV and expensive.

I'm not too sure what the Samsung is now but the E8000 plasma is probably in the GT50 and VT50 territory .

I have the GT50 and its stunningly good when set up correctly. Out of the box it's good enough. The GT and VT can be calibrated to near reference status for £250 or so by a pro.
    Plenty of settings on AVForums in e Plasma section... Have a look on there as there are dedicated owners threads....
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/

The ST50 is the same panel but the drive is different and it hasn't got the full set of calibration controls.its also gun metal colour with a clear surround.

If your happy around800-900 the GT50 is definitely the way to go.
    The LED equivalent will be e Sony HX853. But it has problems with backlight and not as good a 3d.
  • jodrelljodrell Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I just cannot understand anyone recommending a plasma over a good quality LED/LCD. The plasma just cannot do whites! It looks like a flat dull picture with none of the punch and vibrancy of the LED. A good HD picture looks really stunning on an LCD/LED and crisp with good natural colours compared to the lifeless plasma. My LED black is like ink, while the white is like a new cotton sheet! Why are some people banging on about plasmas being better at blacks when they never say about the whites which are equally as important?
    I admit years ago LCD's were washed out, but nowadays they have overtaken plasmas by a good margin. And just to add, I'm VERY fussy with picture quality. Watch something like Dragons Den on BBCHD and compare the two. Zero comparison!
    Finally, turn off the two screens side by side and look at the colour of the screen. Plasma=Dark Grey, LED/LCD=True Black.
    Forum Member
    recommend a good led tv ?
  • jodrelljodrell Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I got this one.

Samsung UE46ES7000

It will blow your socks off! Keep the backlight above 80% and enjoy. No bleed either on dark scenes.