Options

Bit of trivia about high definition and Doctor Who

floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
Forum Member
Did you know that when it was suggested Doctor Who be shown in high defintion, Russell T Davies (or it could have been someone else) said "Doctor Who won't be in HD because the high definition will show the sets in a bad way, people will see the sets don't look so good."

I remember reading this on Digital Spy. Funny or strange reason not to go high definition. Quite rightly, common sense prevailed and DW went HD. :)

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think the TARDIS was changed? ;)
  • Options
    stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think they blew up the TARDIS? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rats in the Tardis? They needed to get them removed so they went with a new design? :D
  • Options
    stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snap!
  • Options
    ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HD is great for a few programmes - However it is used far to often for trivial unpleasant things. Not that I count DW as trivial or unpleasant. But watchers beware :D (they show some awful stuff on other channels in HD) which is why the Gnome will not be viewing in this format
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Much of DW isn't set in the Tardis, most of it is set on the planet Cardiff. Even if the Tardis interior looked a bit naff in HD, I'm sure Cardiff would look wonderful in HD.:D Perhaps David Tennant in HD would be too much for people to take. No close-up, Dave! ;)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the new set was designed specifically for HD, I have high hopes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw a few of the last David Tennant episodes in upscaled standard definition - close to HD quality - and they looked pretty good. Old Doctor Who from the past would look a lot better upscaled. If you have an upscale DVD player you should notice a big difference in picture resolution/detail when watching any standard definition Doctor Who DVD. :)
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Did you know that when it was suggested Doctor Who be shown in high defintion, Russell T Davies (or it could have been someone else) said "Doctor Who won't be in HD because the high definition will show the sets in a bad way, people will see the sets don't look so good."

And that related to the way the series was at the time it was said.

That's why they've now had to build a new TARDIS set and Police Box.

And why the new series has dropped the number of Alien Planets visited again; since shooting in real world locations saves money that would have to be spent building HD suitable sets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The centre of the universe is actually Cardiff - hence why all the stories are set there. ;)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    ukgnome wrote: »
    HD is great for a few programmes - However it is used far to often for trivial unpleasant things. Not that I count DW as trivial or unpleasant. But watchers beware :D (they show some awful stuff on other channels in HD) which is why the Gnome will not be viewing in this format

What a ridiculous attitude. Life itself is in far higher definition than HD. All of it, not just certain parts. No one walks around wearing special glasses to make parts of it blurry. They haven't made any dramas or comedies in SD in North America in years. The news is HD. Game shows are HD. Reality TV is (slowly moving towards) HD.

It's simply the way TV is produced. In a decade there won't be anything produced in SD, nor will there be any SD sets available. It's virtually impossible to buy one now in North America, apart from niche products (like a 12-inch TV/DVD combo).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear - sorry my opinion differs from yours. :rolleyes:

Oh and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1116683/Poor-eyesight-makes-HDTV-waste-money.html
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember reading this on Digital Spy. Funny or strange reason not to go high definition. Quite rightly, common sense prevailed and DW went HD. :)
    That's a bit unfair, you're making it sound as though RTD had some blanket objection to HD in principle. I'm sure he was referring to the cost and the practicalities of going HD back in 2005. Of course he knew it was going to happen eventually, I mean he started Torchwood in HD in 2006.

It was perfectly common sense for DW not to go HD at that time. :)
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ridiculous attitude. Life itself is in far higher definition than HD. All of it, not just certain parts. No one walks around wearing special glasses to make parts of it blurry. They haven't made any dramas or comedies in SD in North America in years. The news is HD. Game shows are HD. Reality TV is (slowly moving towards) HD.

It's simply the way TV is produced. In a decade there won't be anything produced in SD, nor will there be any SD sets available. It's virtually impossible to buy one now in North America, apart from niche products (like a 12-inch TV/DVD combo).

To be fair, there are programmes where there is no benefit gained from HD. Some look stunning, and for documentaries (particularly nature) or for sport it really adds to the pleasure of watching and simply enhances the quality of the programme. But for news, or and some dramas or comedy (not all, many look great in HD), it just doesn't add anything.

I'm not arguing that it's not all headed to HD, which of course it is, but it doesn't always up the quality of the show.

(I think Torchwood looked fantastic in HD, but with the Doctor Who specials there wasn't a significant improvement).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    To be fair, there are programmes where there is no benefit gained from HD. Some look stunning, and for documentaries (particularly nature) or for sport it really adds to the pleasure of watching and simply enhances the quality of the programme. But for news, or and some dramas or comedy (not all, many look great in HD), it just doesn't add anything.

I'm not arguing that it's not all headed to HD, which of course it is, but it doesn't always up the quality of the show.

(I think Torchwood looked fantastic in HD, but with the Doctor Who specials there wasn't a significant improvement).

Many thanks - you put it better than I did, I was trying to make that point (badly). When some channels advertise things like worlds fattest\ugliest\scariest\etc in HD in actually makes me want to drop my telebox out my window. Whilst I am sure that DW will be pleasing to the eye in HD I also feel that I have had over 30years of SD and frankly is it worth all the who-har. As a licence payer I would prefer the beeb invest the money into better programming and not just a gimick that (lets be honest) will be obsolete in a couple of years (HD that is, not DW) How many tele boxes do we have to send to landfill? Simply I do not subscribe to HD for these reasons and many more. It is not about my appaling attitude (tee hee) more my common sense. And I do hope that Nwebie is chocking on his buger and spluttering all over his keyboard when he reads this. ;)
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I am sure that DW will be pleasing to the eye in colour I also feel that I have had over 30 years of black and white and frankly is it worth all the who-har. As a licence payer I would prefer the beeb invest the money into better programming and not just a gimick that (lets be honest) will be obsolete in a couple of years (Colour that is, not DW) How many tele boxes do we have to send to landfill? Simply I do not subscribe to colour for these reasons and many more.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a few of the last David Tennant episodes in upscaled standard definition - close to HD quality - and they looked pretty good. Old Doctor Who from the past would look a lot better upscaled. If you have an upscale DVD player you should notice a big difference in picture resolution/detail when watching any standard definition Doctor Who DVD. :)

Taking an existing 576i picture and upscaling it to 1080p or 720p is not going to give you anywhere near the same quality of image by any stretch of the imagination. There is a reason you see so very little of the TARDIS interior in the 2009 specials, unless its on fire or being destroyed. They were all filmed in HD, one assumes in preparation for the full series move to HD this time around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    Whilst I am sure that DW will be pleasing to the eye in colour I also feel that I have had over 30 years of black and white and frankly is it worth all the who-har. As a licence payer I would prefer the beeb invest the money into better programming and not just a gimick that (lets be honest) will be obsolete in a couple of years (Colour that is, not DW) How many tele boxes do we have to send to landfill? Simply I do not subscribe to colour for these reasons and many more.

:) LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »

Using an image which is not 720 x 576 and then comparing it to an image which is not 1920 x 1080 isn't the best way to compare.

Also you are comparing a progressive SD image with a progressive HD image. SD TV broadcasts in the UK are interlaced. Technically we should have scan lines on that SD image, if its supposed to be a single frame. Same with BBC HD which is broadcast at 1080i (although on blu-ray releases, Who will be at 1080p, and not all HD channels are 1080i, some are 720p)

Its as simple as this
    BBC One - 576i = 720 x 576 = 414720 pixels of data on screen every 25th of a second, or 207360 pixels of data every 50th of a second.

BBC HD - 1080i - 1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels of data on screen every 25th of a second or 1036800 pixels of data every 50th of a second.

OR

BBC HD outputs at 5 times resolution of BBC One.
    Unless you have a massively huge TV you won't see the difference between 1080i and 1080p, but even an average sized 30 - 38 inch living room TV can easily see the difference between 576i and 1080i, or even 720p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also you are comparing a progressive SD image with a progressive HD image. SD TV broadcasts in the UK are interlaced. Technically we should have scan lines on that SD image, if its supposed to be a single frame. Same with BBC HD which is broadcast at 1080i (although on blu-ray releases, Who will be at 1080p, and not all HD channels are 1080i, some are 720p)

BBC HD is generally at 1440 x 1080i. I have one of the specials unprocessed from the BBC HD signal and it's 1440 x 1080 (The aspect ratio, of course, is the normal 16:19)

Doctor Who blu-rays have (so far) been released as 1080i, not 1080p. Unfortunately (and quite annoyingly!) they are released at the ATSC framerate of 59.97 frames per second instead of the PAL standard of 25. Converting them for storage on my hard-drive was quite a chore - they had to be converted to 23.97 fps resulting in some jerkiness. The Series 1-4 DVDs I just had to deinterlace.

The reason for this annoyance is to allow one set of masters to be used world-wide. European TVs will handle 1080i-60, but North American ones won't handle 1080i-50.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taking an existing 576i picture and upscaling it to 1080p or 720p is not going to give you anywhere near the same quality of image by any stretch of the imagination. There is a reason you see so very little of the TARDIS interior in the 2009 specials, unless its on fire or being destroyed. They were all filmed in HD, one assumes in preparation for the full series move to HD this time around.

Indeed, the Next Doctor is upscaled on the blu-ray specials set and despite being done at the same bit rate as the others (the file is about 15 GB on the disc) and being done with much better algorhythms than can be used in real-time upscaling, it still looks like DVD quality. So do the short clips of Davros and other creatures that flash through Donna's mind in End of Time.

The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith (also HD) has decently long segment in the TARDIS with it well lit, and it definitely looks pants! The pillars look like painted styrofoam (which is probably not too far from the truth).

I think it was a mistake back in 2004 to not build the set to HD standards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I remember it also being that the CGI effects have to be rendered for HD aswell, which was too costly or took too long (at that time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, part of the reason the show wasn't in HD to begin with was the CGI effects budget. Nowadays the cost difference between creating HD and SD effects are negligible.

I mean, they're constantly using CG in EastEnders now, with CG tube trains, and a CG pull out to the classic EastEnders map in SD. If its cheap enough to do SD CGI in a freaking soap, then HD can't cost that much anymore :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    armorium wrote: »
    I think I remember it also being that the CGI effects have to be rendered for HD aswell, which was too costly or took too long (at that time).

Yes - but if they'd built the set to HD standards they could have made the HD transition more easily when effects were more economical.

I admit I'm flabbergasted when I hear of a new programme being produced in SD. The Americans stopped making SD dramas and sitcoms in the early 2000s. Scrubs was still in SD until 2008, but all other programmes made the switch except Friends. Even long-running shows like Frasier and Will & Grace were in HD for the last couple of years of their run.

For Doctor Who, a show with proven long-term appeal for disc sales and rebroadcast, it was a really short-sighted decision.