OK so what is a gay friendly hotel?

Comments

• User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a hotel many of my Trans friends stop at....the Campanile in Milton Keynes. It's right opposite the local LGBT club. I have nothing but respect for those staff that work in there. They must've seen everything! They're absolutely fantastic and very friendly to anyone that wants a room. It's so popular it gets booked out months in advance for the monthly Trans nights at the club opposite. The hotel chain owners are rumored to send staff to work at this hotel for a few weeks as it gives them an eye opener into providing good customer service to all types of patrons.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm sure not everything that goes on up there is innocent (ie what goes on in hotel rooms) but from my point of view they make a killing due to their openess. i'm sure the Trans girls test the patience sometimes of the managment. One of the hotel staff apparently joked one day to a group of Trans girls 'Can you stop getting so much f'ing makeup in the bed covers'....makes me chuckle at least :-)

I believe they make unaware/civilian guests (read as normal/hetro/reserved) guests that it is quite an open hotel and guests must be aware there maybe the odd 'different' looking person wandering around. Can't seem to do them any harm as I never seem to get a room there when I want!

I have to make do with meeting everyone in the downstairs bar prior to going out clubbing etc. I've stopped there before on a normal weekend at the opposite club, had the odd random looks off disapproving guests but mainly I tend to get them chatting me up if I'm stood outside having a cheeky ciggie. Ah good times :cool:

EDIT...just want to make it crystal clear my description of 'unaware' guests being normal/hetro/reserved etc is solely just to paint the scene. ie a 60 yr old reserved couple vs a group of loud 20yr something Tgirls...of course being hetro doesn't mean you're reserved or normal. No predujice here!!!
  • dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bibles were not in the room. They appeared in the public areas along with the literature.

We had fun watching "Mr Gay UK" on their tv and leaving the condom on top of the waste paper basket in protest.

As for gay holidays they are lovely. Lots of nudity and sex. Mind you,I avoided the jacuzzi as most days it looked like rice pudding in the water and the filter wasn't working well.

I can see you're doing your bit to help fight the tired stereotypes that gay and lesbian men and women face every single day. Well done, m'love!
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bibles were not in the room. They appeared in the public areas along with the literature.

We had fun watching "Mr Gay UK" on their tv and leaving the condom on top of the waste paper basket in protest.

As for gay holidays they are lovely. Lots of nudity and sex. Mind you,I avoided the jacuzzi as most days it looked like rice pudding in the water and the filter wasn't working well.
    This reminds me of a hotel many of my Trans friends stop at....the Campanile in Milton Keynes. It's right opposite the local LGBT club. I have nothing but respect for those staff that work in there. They've must seen everything! They're absolutely fantastic and very friendly to anyone that wants a room. It's so popular it gets booked out months in advance for the monthly Trans nights at the club opposite. The hotel chain owners are rumored to send staff to work at this hotel for a few weeks as it gives them an eye opener into providing good customer service to all types of patrons.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm sure not everything that goes on up there is innocent (ie what goes on in hotel rooms) but from my point of view they make a killing due to their openess. i'm sure the Trans girls test the patience sometimes of the managment. One of the hotel staff apparently joked one day to a group of Trans girls 'Can you stop getting so much f'ing makeup in the bed covers'....makes me chuckle at least :-)

I believe they make unaware/civilian guests (read as normal/hetro/reserved) guests that it is quite an open hotel and guests must be aware there maybe the odd 'different' looking person wandering around. Can seem to do them any harm as I never seem to get a room there when I want!

That sounds ghastly and I don't see why hetero=reserved any more than gay=lude.
    I just like snowboarding and snorkling on holiday.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's something that hotels used to advertise themselves as, so I suppose some do it out of habit.

Gone are the days when we used to turn up at a hotel and have an embarrassed receptionist say "Oh, there must be some mistake..." then have the penny drop :D
  • GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Gone are the days when we used to turn up at a hotel and have an embarrassed receptionist say "Oh, there must be some mistake..." then have the penny drop :D

Post #64 - no they aren't ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    That sounds ghastly and I don't see why hetero=reserved any more than gay=lude.
    I just like snowboarding and snorkling on holiday.

It's just a description for the context of the story...think of the quiet reserved 60 yr old couple type in comparison to a group of 20 something Tgirls.....just a way of describing them.

There's no predujice or arguement to be picked out of me here ;)
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Windsor the landlady brought another bed in as "it isn't nice for two men sleep together".

I take it you pointed out that it isn't "nice" (or indeed professional) to pass judgement on the personal lives of paying customers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a description for the context of the story...think of the quiet reserved 60 yr old couple type in comparison to a group of 20 something Tgirls.....just a way of describing them.

There's no predujice or arguement to be picked out of me here ;)

oh right cool.
    I do have prejudice myself, I assume gay things are going to be a certain way, like Stud-u-like says in fact. Also I think people should integrate and not exclude themselves as it breeds contempt and misunderstanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh right cool.
    I do have prejudice myself, I assume gay things are going to be a certain way, like Stud-u-like says in fact. Also I think people should integrate and not exclude themselves as it breeds contempt and misunderstanding.

I agree...everyone has to be open...I'm not gay but NO problem with gay people in the slightest. It'd be a hypocritical of me considering my postion and the majority of my friends are Bisexual etc....

I shall add an edit to to original post to make it even clearer :cool:
  • dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh right cool.

You are spot on with that. I loath and detest the idea of gay holidays specifically. Im unsettled by the idea of actively segregating yourself away from society and foreign cultures just because you are wrapped up in your own gay bubble. Its a problem that spreads itself right across the gay community, sadly.

Why go away to a foreign country only to surround yourself with other gays in other gay bars? It baffles me. Its very unhealthy.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    It probably means that the staff won't be making shit Bernard Manning style jokes at your expense like most of the posters in this thread.

Love Bernard manning style jokes, Especially in these threads, It just wouldn't be the same without em :D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree...everyone has to be open...I'm not gay but NO problem with gay people in the slightest. It'd be a hypocritical of me considering my postion and the majority of my friends are Bisexual etc....

I shall add an edit to to original post to make it even clearer :cool:

well no I don't think you have to be open. I think you should respect everyone's privacy, that's why 'gay friendly' is possibly an attempt at that, but it sort of fails as it suggests it IS an issue in an inadvertent way :confused: also it alienates people in some areas. I think in general it IS a good thing, like others have said, I wish it wasn't necessary ever, anywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well no I don't think you have to be open. I think you should respect everyone's privacy, that's why 'gay friendly' is possibly an attempt at that, but it sort of fails as it suggests it IS an issue in an inadvertent way :confused: also it alienates people in some areas. I think in general it IS a good thing, like others have said, I wish it wasn't necessary ever, anywhere.

I get what you're saying....in the interim until society doesn't care anymore about sexuality etc...what would you say is the best way for places like hotels to indicate they're open to LGBT customers without it seeming like segregation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrizzyDee wrote: »
    Post #64 - no they aren't ;)
    I did mean "we" and in the "my partner and I" sense. We've had nothing along those lines for a very long time.

But them maybe it's more that we tend to stay in more expensive hotels these days, where the staff are trained about these things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get what you're saying....in the interim until society doesn't care anymore about sexuality etc...what would you say is the best way for places like hotels to indicate they're open to LGBT customers without it seeming like segregation?

No idea... it's a sensitive subject isn't it?
    maybe if there was an advisory board set up that checked that hotels were open to everyone not just 'gay friendly' and they could have that "open to everyone" sticker that didn't announce gayness in such an obvious fashion. That's all I can think of.
    It's not a terrible thing anyway, they have "family friendly" and that... at least it's not "no blacks, no irish, no dogs" so we are progressing as a society.
    I'd like a sticker that said "no gays" that people could stick on the door if they have been treated poorly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea... it's a sensitive subject isn't it?
    maybe if there was an advisory board set up that checked that hotels were open to everyone not just 'gay friendly' and they could have that "open to everyone" sticker that didn't announce gayness in such an obvious fashion. That's all I can think of.
    It's not a terrible thing anyway, they have "family friendly" and that... at least it's not "no blacks, no irish, no dogs" so we are progressing as a society.
    I'd like a sticker that said "no gays" that people could stick on the door if they have been treated poorly :D

Maybe just a simple 'Welcome to All' would be suffice, no need to pick out anyone group....

it'd soon shame the non friendly places into rethinking their views.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But them maybe it's more that we tend to stay in more expensive hotels these days, where the staff are trained about these things.

Yes, that'd be it. Coz posh people don't judge :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that'd be it. Coz posh people don't judge :p
    Of course they judge, but they are trained to hide it ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they judge, but they are trained to hide it ;)
    Well in my experience the price of the hotel doesn't make a difference
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in my experience the price of the hotel doesn't make a difference
    And in my experience it does. So we're both right then.
  • Grim RitaGrim Rita Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By putting gay friendly it is advertising to gays that they will not have to feel uncomfortable just being who they are. It also helps make sure homophobes are not going to book in.

This.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in my experience it does. So we're both right then.

I never said you were wrong. Now I think you are, but I didn't before :D
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peace back atcha (except I'm a girl, bro :D)

Well you have my sympathy, as would anyone suffering from that condition. Sadly I'm not sure there is much I can do to help you.

Get well soon.

Regards.

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »
    Well you have my sympathy, as would anyone suffering from that condition. Sadly I'm not sure there is much I can do to help you.

Get well soon.

Regards.

:p
    LMAO! :p
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the Chymorvah Hotel in Marazion.