Options

Where has Gold gone ?

suziequesuzieque Posts: 300
Forum Member
I am unable to receive Gold on dab both the Leeds and South Yorks transmitters say station off air.
All three of my dab units are the same.

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold was replaced with Absolute Classic Rock on those multiplexes.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    This appears a most unusual decision.

Is this part of another larger plan, ie launching on the national mux. A tie-up with magic etc etc.

Just doesn't make sense on it's own.
  • Options
    mattdmattd Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold in the North was merely a carry over from when Unique and GCap worked together on it and it sat on Unique's capacity - something that it looks like they've finally got shot of.

I doubt Gold is a priority for Global, so I don't think there'll be any effort to replace any lost coverage.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    This appears a most unusual decision.

Is this part of another larger plan, ie launching on the national mux. A tie-up with magic etc etc.

Just doesn't make sense on it's own.

There are two other threads on here which explain why in detail.

Basically UBC Media (former owner of Classic Gold) were still paying Bauer to stream Gold on those muxes and did a deal with TIML Radio to take over those slots for the next two years.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattd wrote: »
    Gold in the North was merely a carry over from when Unique and GCap worked together on it and it sat on Unique's capacity - something that it looks like they've finally got shot of.

I doubt Gold is a priority for Global, so I don't think there'll be any effort to replace any lost coverage.
    Interstingly though Gold is in RAJAR, but The Arrow, which is still available in the areas which has lost Gold, is not in RAJAR.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    Interstingly though Gold is in RAJAR, but The Arrow, which is still available in the areas which has lost Gold, is not in RAJAR.
    The Arrow has returned in London, maybe until Global have a buyer for the DAB slot.
    Perhaps it is waiting for a buyer for the nothern DAB slots rather than move Gold oto them?

I have downloaded the Android app and Gold is on it but Arrow and Chill are not!
    Hopefully Gold, Chill and Arrow will be kept long term, but Global said further developement of digital stations will wait until reception is better.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/15/global-radio-bbc-ashley-tabor-digital-radio?INTCMP=SRCH
    Tabor said his company, which owns Heart, Classic FM, Capital and LBC, would not invest in new digital services until the DAB signal was sufficiently strong and widespread to match that currently provided by FM.

He said the cost of the rollout of DAB and the strengthening of the signal in areas which can already receive it – estimated at between £150m and £200m – was the sole responsibility of the BBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    You may get a signal in the daytime on 1458 AM from Manchester.

If you want to listen around the house putting the webstream through one of these is the cheapest option:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Transmitter-Radio-Apple-iPhone/dp/B002NPI8YU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293119435&sr=1-7

You can then tune in on any FM radio within about 20 metres.