U2 Vs. Coldplay Vs. Beyoncé - Best Glastonbury Headliner?

Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
Forum Member
Who do you think was the best headliner at this year's Glastonbury?:)

Obviously there's been a lot of controversiality with the performances this year, U2's tax situation being a bigger topic for discussion than their perforance, and the music snobs and Beyoncé Stans coming out in full force to kill eachother.

POLL PLEASE!:D

Who was the best Glastonbury headliner? 109 votes

Coldplay
36% 40 votes
Beyoncé
49% 54 votes
U2
13% 15 votes

Comments

• ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BEYONCE! She was the underdog no one expected her to be that good. Coldplay were good but their performance was a bit below their usual standards. U2 were just meh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Beyonce was just different to the other two in the way which they performed which is why they aren't really comparable because all 3 are just so different
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce,although I didn't watch the other 2,as they're not my thing.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I like U2 a lot, but it wasn't their best.
    I find Coldplay can drag a bit.
    Beyoncé is a great performer, but could use her voice more.

I don't think any of them were perfect, and I like them all, so I don't know which to choose!:D
    Forum Member
    The poll is up!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce and Coldplay were both great, didnt think U2 were at their best.

Voted for Bey as she just went for it and killed it.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U2 are the only band I vaguely like of the 3 but even they didn't inspire me. The other 2 are just meh. There were plenty of better acts on over the weekend Elbow,Chemical Bros,Janelle Monae,Friendly Fires to name but a few.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I liked Coldplay, and Beyonce was surprisingly good, but I think Coldplay might have just had the edge? Janelle Monae, Metronomy and Friendly Fires were the best 3 over the weekend for me though.
    Forum Member
    I agree that Janelle was the best from the whole weekend, but I also enjoyed watching Queens Of The Stoneage, Cee-Lo Green, Primal Scream and Mumford & Sons. I think it was a good year overall.:)
  • JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chemical Brothers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BEY!!!

for so many reasons! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but of the overall i love Friendly Fires and Janelle SO SO MUCH! :)
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay for Fix You alone :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    In terms of headliners, Queens of the Stone Age destroyed everyone. Pulp and Radiohead up on the Park were the best sets of the weekend though, by some distance.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Beyonce was always going to be my favourite. Even if she came out in a vest and jeans, sang completely out of tune and didn't move for 90 minutes. But she really was flawless. Coldplay were also quite mesmerising and U2 were sufficient.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them.

In my view none of the three acts delivered a 5 star performance worthy of a Glastonbury Headlining act.

This year Janelle Monae; Elbow; Mumford & Sons; Queens Of The Stone Age; Pulp; Chemical Brothers; The Friendly Fires .... to name a few delivered superior sets/performances.

Certainly none of this year's headline acts performances were in the league of previous Pyramid Stage headiners: Pulp 1995; Radiohead & Prodigy 1997; Manic Street Preachers 1999; David Bowie 2000; Coldplay 2002; Paul McCartney 2004; Basement Jaxx 2005; Blur 2009; Muse 2010.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Definitely Coldplay, I also loved Mumford & Sons and the brilliant Elbow.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of those 3 Coldplay were the only ones that impressed me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janelle Monae was better than all three of them imo, however out of those three easily Beyonce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of DS-ers will say Beyoncé because that's the market she appeals to. Me, I'm an open snob and I don't fancy the "R&B" genre. I go for something with a little more substance, as opposed to hollow R&B with intermittent sass or emotion and none of the nuances of the best of it's style.

Beyoncé's had some good material ('Halo' being a firm favourite, but it's live version bulldozes the studio version), and she proved herself once again to be the effortlessly astounding vocalist and the way the audience were actually crying just to get a stroke of her golden corset as she walked by the audience acts as testament to her huge impact on both the music industry and society. So I'd be tempted to answer Beyonce myself, because even though I'm not a fan of the majority of her musical output (particularly her recent material), she put on a breath-taking performance, and at the end of the day, you may have favourites, but that doesn't mean they're good performers live - you need to be able to incorporate the audience because after all, they paid to see said artist; breaking the fourth wall seems imperative in live performing.

But I still think Coldplay were best.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    but I think Coldplay might have just had the edge?

No The Edge is in U2 ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Beyonce!:):cool:
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toughie - I'm a massive Beyonce fan and thought she was unbelievable. But I've come to expect it from her (not a bad thing I know). I found Coldplay to be more surprising (I usually find them quite boring) and thought they had a far stronger selection of tracks.

So, despite my alliegence (sp?) to Beyonce... I went for Coldplay. I had shivers!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janelle monae was the best by far, followed by aloe blacc

out of the 3 listed, u2 was the best by far. coldplay the worst and beyonce the most hyped
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    This is a relatively unfair poll on this forum, which is overrun with pop kids who will clearly vote for Beyonce.

In saying that, I dislike U2 and Coldplay so I am not too fussed :p