Options

Rory's dad?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was anyone else expecting a scene were The Doctor went to Rory's dad and told him that Amy and Rory are dead?

Comments

• Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor promised he would look after them only LAST WEEK. God RTD got flack for over-sentimentalising but that is just heartless. Sad episode though but Moffat does miss important human elements such as this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Yep we were worried about Brian too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Amy and Rory died I was expecting the Doctor to tell Brian and introduce him to River.

It was kinda cold writing to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that scene stood out in last weeks episode, not the fact that Brian is some iconic character though funny and entertaining. Looking back the scene shouldn't have been put in at all.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    Well that scene stood out in last weeks episode, not the fact that Brian is some iconic character though funny and entertaining. Looking back the scene shouldn't have been put in at all.

I thought it was just to obviously foreshadow the next ep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was just to obviously foreshadow the next ep.

But in order to ensure it's success emotionally with the audience, Brian should have been in this episode too.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    But in order to ensure it's success emotionally with the audience, Brian should have been in this episode too.

Exactly last week The Doctor promised Brian that he would look after Amy and Rory so why did we not see him tonight tell Brian that they were dead?

That scene would've completed the episode imo.
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Exactly last week The Doctor promised Brian that he would look after Amy and Rory so why did we not see him tonight tell Brian that they were dead?

Well, they're not actually dead [just inaccessible forevermore].

And well, the Doctor being the Doctor, will run away from confronting such a big reminder of his latest failing for awhile, I assume.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's mentioned on-screen that he went and told him off-screen next year, or he's never brought up again point blank. :(
  • Options
    clairescavysclairescavys Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

I agree, even if it was one of those 'background' scenes when we see the characters interacting (the Dr and Brian) but rather than hearing what they're saying, there's music or summat instead. Brian not knowing was the first thing that popped into my head as soon as the episode finished. (For a 'minor' character, I love Brian and I felt really sorry for him not being able to ever again see his son or daughter-in-law).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    If it were me I would have ad amy and rory write a letter to be delivered to rorys dad (and amys parents) at a certain point. Saying "were okay" etc

I'm not happy that they miss stuff like this. Its lazy writing really. If they are wrapping up rory and amy they need to wrap up their counterparts I like it when Who leaves things open but this is different. Its missing key points which would turn an already good episode into a fantastic episode.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    Well, they're not actually dead [just inaccessible forevermore].

And well, the Doctor being the Doctor, will run away from confronting such a big reminder of his latest failing for awhile, I assume.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's mentioned on-screen that he went and told him off-screen next year, or he's never brought up again point blank. :(

Of course they're dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they're dead.

In Brian's current timeline after the events of TATM, sure. But they lived out their lives to a natural end in the past, so they didn't 'die' in a sense.

In the way we humans would naturally comprehend it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Yeah that confused me tbh - why put Brian in 2 eps then not refer to him tonight at all?! Seemed very heartless after him telling them to go off with the Dr last week!

OR does the fact Rory has been zapped back mean Brian now doesn't exist? (if Rory is now older than Brian...?)
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it comes down to time constraints, as there's only so much you can cram into 45 mins.
    If it had been an hour long episode I reckon it could have been fitted in, but you can blame world wide distribution (45 mins telly + ad breaks = 1 hour of telly) for that.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OR does the fact Rory has been zapped back mean Brian now doesn't exist? (if Rory is now older than Brian...?)

Nope. Brian's timeline continues on as normal - same with the Ponds, except they're stuck in the past until death naturally catches up with them.

Everything that happened, happened.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I suppose if he does tell him the truth that they are stuck in the past and he has no way in getting back to them but confirms the fact they lived into their 80's and died peacefully of old age will be some kind of comfort.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if he does tell him the truth that they are stuck in the past and he has no way in getting back to them but confirms the fact they lived into their 80's and died peacefully of old age will be some kind of comfort.

That's what I thought. It'll still be hard for him to never see his son again, and he was obviously very fond of Amy, but the thought that they did live together happily into old age would be a comfort. Unless told otherwise, I'm going to assume the Doctor told him.
  • Options
    WarmijwilfWarmijwilf Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    What would've been perfect was a scene at the end, with no talking, with just music over the top and seeing the back of the Doctor standing at Brian's door, with him holding a lightbulb, and suddenly we cut to a close-up of Brian's bottom half, showing his hand, and he drops the lightbulb in slow motion and it cracks.

Would've been emotional, and provided another lightbulb link.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    As Amy and Rory lived into their 80's, and the gravestone didn't look that old in 2012 couldn't they go back and visit Rory's dad as old people? Can they do that or will that create another paradox?
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    They can't do that because they died before their younger selves went missing (i.e. went with the Doctor).
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    They can't do that because they died before their younger selves went missing (i.e. went with the Doctor).

I was thinking that they could visit Rory's dad when they are old and he is a young man, so before they went missing, but of course they can't do that because he would have remembered it. All this time travel stuff is confusing!
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Rory could send his dad a letter a bit in like Back To The Future 2 when he tells the post office or a lawyer to something to hold it until a certain date and then he tells his Dad what happened but don't worry he's ok and has lived a happy life with Amy I would say he writes it when he's in his mid to late 70's.

Maybe even leave his dad some shares or something that he got for him back in the 60's 70's for not much but will be worth a fortune now.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory could send his dad a letter a bit in like Back To The Future 2 when he tells the post office or a lawyer to something to hold it until a certain date and then he tells his Dad what happened but don't worry he's ok and has lived a happy life with Amy I would say he writes it when he's in his mid to late 70's.

Maybe even leave his dad some shares or something that he got for him back in the 60's 70's for not much but will be worth a fortune now.

That would be a lovely extra on the DVD. As long as it doesn't involve Karen's huge new wig. That thing is distracting.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory's dad was only brought in because Chibnall wanted to show some of Rory's family. Clearly he wasn't part of Moffat's original plan.
    A brilliant character with heaps of potential. A brilliant actor to play him. Wasted in DOAS. Wasted in TPO3. And completely forgotten about in the episode where basically his son and daughter in law are gone forever.
    It was hinted he didn't really have much of a life. Hell. He sat and watched a cube for an entire YEAR. His life probably revolved around Rory and Amy. So to not have the Doctor return to him in this episode is one reason why the end of the Ponds felt forced and not right to me. I'm no massive fan of Rose and RTD, but Rose's departure in series 2 was superbly done in terms of emotion (bringing her back in series 4 utterly ruined it, but there you go). Here? I just didn't feel it.