Options

Is there anyone here who doesn't think the title race is over?

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    The title race is not over yet as United still have tough away games at Arsenal, West Ham, Stoke, West Brom and Sunderland whilst playing Chelsea and Man.City at Old Trafford. Although United won't drop points in all of those games if the pressure gets to them you never know what could happen. It is however unlikely that United will bottle it again as i can't see City winning all there league games either but after last season it ain't over until it is Mathematically impossible.

Stoke have lost 6 of their last 8 and West Brom and Sunderland have been hopeless lately as have West Ham. I don't see them as tough games
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It think there are two sides to this question.

In actuality, the answer is straightforward & black & white: the title race is not over as there are still 30/33 points to play for. However, the purpose of the question to the ascertain how people think the rest of the season will pan out.

It would take a collapse of monumental proportions for United not to win the title now & City will have to play twice as well as they did last season just to have a hope in hell's chance & for that reason, it is more than likely that United will win the title.

City are not quite as powerful as they were last year, whereas United are definitely stronger with the additions of Kagawa & Van Persie, plus the likes of Carrick & Cleverley proving to be almost indispensable.
  • Options
    Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well a narrow, but rather a comfortable win for City tonight. In spite of the uproar from the Villa fans, I didn't feel as though City would lose their lead.

It doesn't make any difference to the league table as such in comparison to last week, only that the games are getting fewer.

A boost for Tevez, because he's going to be needed in games where they need to grind out a win.

I think It's going to be vital that Kompany returns against Everton at Goodison and Newcastle at home - both of which I feel must be won before the meeting of United at Old Trafford.

United of course have two big cup ties in Real and Chelsea before their meeting with Reading at Old Trafford on a Monday Night as well as a trip to Sunderland.

Any slip up out of those two games in say dropping 2 points, and should City come into the clash having won their games and beat United will see the deficit reduced to 7 points with 6 left to play.

There's got to be at least another twist in the tale, but I'm interested in seeing how the two cup games are going to pan out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Its never over until its over, as they say, but I just don't see City catching United. Man United have been incredibly consistent this season, I expected this kind of response from them this season after last.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    The title race is over. If I were a bookmaker I would've payed out on utd weeks ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Until it's mathematically impossible for any other club to overtake United it's not over.

End of debate.

Except this to me is more a discussion of realustically over as against mathematically over.

We ( St Mirren ) may lie 3rd bottom of the SPL, but we still could mathematically win the title. 30 points behind Celtic with 10 matches left ;)

I hate to come over all pessimistic, but I reckon our title challenge is over, as would any sane person.

Now that is an extreme position, and at a less clear level than that one makes a judgement.

I'd say this season's Premier League is done and dusted and going nowhere but Old Trafford. But I do understand most Man United fans reluctance to say so.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aztec23 wrote: »
    W

There's got to be at least another twist in the tale, but I'm interested in seeing how the two cup games are going to pan out.

Why does there have to be another twist? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Indeed, I was thinking the same. There doesn't.

My guess would be that this season will trundle on towards the fairly inevitable conclusion of a United title. United will drop a few points as will City, but I predict no significant twist.
  • Options
    Flagg613Flagg613 Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aztec23 wrote: »
    Well a narrow, but rather a comfortable win for City tonight. In spite of the uproar from the Villa fans, I didn't feel as though City would lose their lead.

It doesn't make any difference to the league table as such in comparison to last week, only that the games are getting fewer.

A boost for Tevez, because he's going to be needed in games where they need to grind out a win.

I think It's going to be vital that Kompany returns against Everton at Goodison and Newcastle at home - both of which I feel must be won before the meeting of United at Old Trafford.

United of course have two big cup ties in Real and Chelsea before their meeting with Reading at Old Trafford on a Monday Night as well as a trip to Sunderland.

Any slip up out of those two games in say dropping 2 points, and should City come into the clash having won their games and beat United will see the deficit reduced to 7 points with 6 left to play.

You mean with 7 left to play, United playing Reading, Sunderland and Man City would leave 7 games remaining.
  • Options
    DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's over, United will NOT drop 12 points in 10 games. Even if they did i can't see City winning every game until the end of the season, the title is United's.
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    City need to win all 10 games left, this means United need to lose 3 out of their other 9. The GD would close up naturally.

Its possible, but highly improbable. Probably over this weekend when City fail to take 3pts at Goodison.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    there is more chance of City finishing 3rd than 1st IMO. this one is very much over.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    there is more chance of City finishing 3rd than 1st IMO. this one is very much over.

What's the difference in prize money between finishing 2nd and 3rd?
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »

Yup fully agree with that, plus I would say that there is more chance of City finishing fifth than first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I say this based on the difficult fixtures they have ahead of their meeting against City.

It's very slender in terms of hopes for City against last year because of their own tricky 2 games coming up in Everton and Newcastle, but in football, you just never know and it can only take a couple of United draws to give City more belief.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am pleased to report that when United come to the Hawthorns on the last day of the season they will have nothing the play for.:)
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No chance UTD slip up that many times and City cant be relied upon to win all there games - at the other end of the table I was surprised to see QPR not that far off the teams around them, I had assumed they were toast.
  • Options
    IH80IH80 Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its entirely possible for United to draw the next couple of games which would mean an eight point lead with nine games left. Pressure on, City get a lift and suddenly its all to play for. You're a moron if you think otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IH80 wrote: »
    Its entirely possible for United to draw the next couple of games which would mean an eight point lead with nine games left. Pressure on, City get a lift and suddenly its all to play for. You're a moron if you think otherwise.

The many folk that feel the league is virtually done and dusted simply hold a different opinion to you, and are not by definition "morons".

I don't think I am anyway ;)

By the way, it would be 8 points with 8 games left. 10 - 2 = 8 :)
  • Options
    IH80IH80 Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    The many folk that feel the league is virtually done and dusted simply hold a different opinion to you, and are not by definition "morons".

I don't think I am anyway ;)

By the way, it would be 8 points with 8 games left. 10 - 2 = 8 :)

Heh, I dont think you're a moron, I just think its moronic to think it's won already.

My mistake, I was thinking 11 games left. Either way, two draws and four points dropped means it's game on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Referring to post 29 - I made the point of another twist and based on the course of events this week that may not be PL games that were played, I think we could see a twist in the tale.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's probably over. I can't see anybody catching Cardiff.
  • Options
    anapanap Posts: 6,925
    Forum Member
    Fulham in 10th are closer to the bottom of the league than Man. City in 2nd are to the top!
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IH80 wrote: »

Except that the lead being reduced to 8 pts wouldn't cause pressure because 8 pts is a very healthy lead especially as Utd will have home advantage against City in the next derby.

Reading and Sunderland are on bad form at the moment so its very unrealistic that Utd will drop 4 pts in those matches plus combined with City winning at Goodison.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    Except that the lead being reduced to 8 pts wouldn't cause pressure because 8 pts is a very healthy lead especially as Utd will have home advantage against City in the next derby.

Reading and Sunderland are on bad form at the moment so its very unrealistic that Utd will drop 4 pts in those matches plus combined with City winning at Goodison.

Last season United were 8 points clear with 6 games to go.

Any United fan with any sense this season will only think the title is won when it is mathematically impossible to be caught.
    Simple as that.