Options

Buying used or new car?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    My Fiesta is 13 years old with 95000 on it (we've had it from brand new but I've only had it myself three years) and from I've had it it's given me very few problems whereas my mum's 2011 Ibiza has had no end of problems since she bought it.

That's nothing for a 13 year old car. I have a 55 plate which I've had from new with 129000 miles on the clock and still going strong.

Cars should last a long long time if they're driven and looked after properly.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    So do I. My last car was a little beauty and probably had another fifty thousand miles left in her at least... until some dozy twonk cut her life short by driving into the back of me and shunting me into another vehicle.
    I know it was an accident but it annoys me. I'd just had her MOT'd and a few minor repairs done two weeks before the crash and that's just money down the drain.
    It's so frustrating. I had a perfectly good car and now I have to replace it - and that's wasting petrol driving around to garages and lots of time because I don't want to get ripped off with a bad buy. :mad:

I couldn't afford a new car when I bought mine (and wouldn't buy one on principle due to depreciation, though that's beside the point), but I did get a superbly maintained little Ford Ka, and was gutted when a pothole murdered her. She pulled through the incident, but she won't make it past her next MOT, which is such a shame because she's otherwise in brilliant condition for her age, and I'd put work into keeping the maintenance up.

My advice would be to go for a nearly-new Toyota OP. They have such a sterling reputation that the depreciation is negligible, but you can shave a bit off by buying one a couple of years old and still in warranty. I'm trying to pick up an older Aygo, but I'm still waiting for the prices to come down far enough!
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a 57 plate but it has 34,000 on the clock

I would be happy to find a decent 57/07 plate with that mileage, that's less than annual mileage.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice would be to go for a nearly-new Toyota OP. They have such a sterling reputation

Yea brilliant:

Toyota has recalled around 8.5 million vehicles worldwide and admits the company's safety standards have slipped, over potentially faulty accelerators and braking systems.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrong! Dacias are brand new so if I'd wanted one I would have had a months' wait to get my hands on one. (Dad has just bought a Duster.)

No, I bought a Chevrolet Aveo. We hired one in America for our recent holiday and it was a really nice drive.

They have pretty good reviews on the whole ... happy motoring. :cool:
  • Options
    akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen to your husband, i have never paid more than a thousand for a car, the car i have now i paid £750 for two years ago and i hav'nt had a problem with it. If it has a good service history, and you keep it up, you should'nt have a problem.

So i say get a second hand car from a garage with a warantie, and either go on holiday or save the rest of your money for your inpending family.

Really i just think buying a brand new car is a waste of money.
  • Options
    Evertonian5Evertonian5 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    akhenaten wrote: »
    So i say get a second hand car from a garage with a warantie, and either go on holiday or save the rest of your money for your inpending family.

Really i just think buying a brand new car is a waste of money.

For me it's the opposite I'd buy a brand new car and think holidays are a waste of money.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just gone for a year old car KA stop/start edge with 6.5k on the clock for £2500 less than price of a new one. So still 2 years warranty on it and 2 years before an MOT. Also having a complete service.

Its hard to decide the level to choose for motoring if you aren't great mechanically, so reviews are relevant but there's also a bit of russian roulette involved in the choice.