Options

analogue hard disk recorders and now TV box

oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Before analogue tv was switched off it was possible to buy analogue hard disk recorders. I have a couple and have not used them since the digital switch off. However one great feature of the now TV box is that it has the old fashioned composite output as an alternative to HDMI. Agreed the quality is lower but connect this to a hard disk recorder (or old VCR come to that) and you can record any of its output including all the catchup stuff. I don't know about any sky stuff though.
Beauty is my recorder also has a DVD recorder as well.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I recently bought a nowtv box and wondered whether it is possible to record to an old toshiba dvd recorder.Should i connect to recorder through the hdmi lead or connect from the nowtv box av. out to the dvd scart in ? Any advice thanks in advance .
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting info thanks. Yes it would record but you would need the special lead (jack to yellow, red, white phono plugs). I have an old Liteon box that allows recording to hard drive. Nowadays there is little need to record things any more. I find streaming gives me video on demand. The Now TV movies are there without the need to record.
    DVD recording is something I never do now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    HDMI on consumer electronic products cannot be used as an input for recording. It is crippled by a copy protection system called HDCP.

You can blame Hollywood for that.

You would only be able to record via the Now TV box's composite video output. Composite video is about the lowest quality analogue video format you can get, but yes, any DVD recorder should be able to record it.

A lead which has audio/composite video connectors on one end and a scart connector on the other to plug into your DVD record's input should cost less than a fiver.

Just set your DVD recorder's input to the scart input the Now TV box is connected to, and press record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can actually order the right NowTV-AV cable from the Nowtv website for only £5.
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    You can actually order the right NowTV-AV cable from the Nowtv website for only £5.

Ouch, I got mine for free from Now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    note that is a mini-jack to RCA cable. You would need a scart adapter if you do not have the yellow red and white input sockets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    Ouch, I got mine for free from Now.
    the av cable? (The hdmi cable is free).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your advice .I connected up a camcorder 3.5mm to composite 3rca cables and am getting the sound ok but screen is displaying (recording error this program cannot be recorded message).Would a different cable make any difference . Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there is macrovision protection on the video output. This is to prevent recording of movies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The output from the NowTV box is NTSC and most DVD Recorders won't record NTSC, I have 6 DVD Recorders and only 1 can record a NTSC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DEVONTV wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice .I connected up a camcorder 3.5mm to composite 3rca cables and am getting the sound ok but screen is displaying (recording error this program cannot be recorded message).Would a different cable make any difference . Thanks

Sounds like some form of copy protection, possible Macrovision.

Check the manual, it should have some paragraph about Macrovision, if not look for something about portions of software from Rovi Corporation (their new name). If Rovi Corporation are mentioned, then the box probably has Macrovision copy protection on the analogue outputs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    azimo wrote: »
    The output from the NowTV box is NTSC and most DVD Recorders won't record NTSC, I have 6 DVD Recorders and only 1 can record a NTSC.

Are you sure that cannot be changed?.

I would be very surprised if standard UK PAL output was not available, given this box is specifically aimed at the UK market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure that cannot be changed?.

I would be very surprised if standard UK PAL output was not available, given this box is specifically aimed at the UK market.

It definitely is only NTSC. Not surprising really as it is only a cutdown ROKU box popular in US.

SKY just saw an opportunity to ship them in cheap from US as they had HDMI and nearly all modern UK TVS would allow HDMI (NTSC/PAL does not really apply on HDMI),

Had Sky had to develop a PAL version, costs would be much higher presumably.