Options

Radio5 - The changes

HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
Forum Member
As R5 seems to have made a complete and utter hash of its schedules us former 5 live die-hards may as well have a a forum when we can have a rant in private....

let battle commence !

Comments

• Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    And, worse of all, Dotun Adebayo, Stephen Nolan, Victoria Derbyshire and Anita Anand have still managed to escape the axe :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Derbyshire, Murray, Logan, Bacon, Anand, Nolan, Adebayo, Livesey..

God almighty.. :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theyve lost me to BBC LDN after a decade of listening through the day and into the night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    Derbyshire, Murray, Logan, Bacon, Anand, Nolan, Adebayo, Livesey..

God almighty.. :sleep:

You missed shelagh fogarty.

The way she pronounces her surname, the Poirotesque lapses into schoolboy French, how she loves telling us about reprimanding shop workers for poor service (don't they know who she is for God's sake)

What a pretentious woman!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Does Richard Logan like the sound of his own voice or what. Somebody at r5 should tell him the point of having a guest on the program is to share their opinion.Is anybody really interested in what these presenters view on every subject is.I AND ME thats all radio 5 has turned into.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member

The way she pronounces her surname, the Poirotesque lapses into schoolboy French, how she loves telling us about reprimanding shop workers for poor service (don't they know who she is for God's sake)

Good point. Yep, I can't stand her either so I no longer listen to Breakfast.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEVONTV wrote: »
    Does Richard Logan like the sound of his own voice or what. Somebody at r5 should tell him the point of having a guest on the program is to share their opinion.Is anybody really interested in what these presenters view on every subject is.I AND ME thats all radio 5 has turned into.

Who is Richard Logan? ;)
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    5Live should do the decent thing and become a football/sport chat station, and leave the news to the other BBC stations. The sport is the only thing worth listening to now, although that said I do quite like Kate Silverton's show.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only listen to Drive for the excellent Peter Allen. Has anyone heard whether he's moving to Salford or taking the BBC shilling and gold clock
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I only listen to Drive for the excellent Peter Allen. Has anyone heard whether he's moving to Salford or taking the BBC shilling and gold clock

According to a Media Guardian article last week he will doing his show from Salford but it's not clear whether he will be moving to the area 'full-time'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter Allen used to be a Granada Reporter so in a sense he is coming home....

Don't forget we have three shuttles a hour from London To Manchester with a journey time of 2 hours.... so if you do actually live in the centre of each city it is an easy journey !

That said I think he lives in Norfolk........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re Tony Livesey

...think yourself lucky you do not have see him as well as listen !

He is the scruffiest person on the box !

He probably only got the gig as he is already in situ re Salford.

Also look out for the fragrant Ranvir Singh ....currently also in situ on BBC North West Tonight BUT has presented occasional early evening news programmes at W/E with John Peinaar !

I strongly suspect she is being groomed for 5Live stardom anytime now !
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I wish they would give Phil Williams his own show and get rid of Stephen Nolan
  • Options
    slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't understand the appeal of Peter Allen. I find the dreary, miserable monotone that he maintains throughout the programme the radio equivalent of a damp and gloomy Wednesday morning in Hartlepool. The combination of that and Anita's insufferable superficial tweeness means that I can't take more than ten minutes of Drive in one go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member

I agree, Peter Allen is probably the best presenter on 5live.

If you want to get shot of someone then please make it Nicky Campbell, the guy never seems to understand anybody else's point of view, only his own, and the number of times I've heard him back off for fear of getting sued is unbelievable.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member

Oh god, that's been bugging me for years :D

Does Carl Fogarty (the bike racer) or John Fogarty (from Creedence Clearwater Revival) or any other Fogarty pronounce their name in that way! :D

Is she just trying to sound posh? You're Liverpool-Irish love, isn't not possible :p

Is it like Keeping Up Appearances?

I gleefully watched Foh-garty on BBC2's the Daily Politics show recently and she was hopeless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone back to full-time Radio 4 now, having been a 5 Live listener from 9am-5pm every day for almost 10- years.

The phone-in has got beyond tiresome, with 5 Live's insistence upon covering the kind of stories that attract the worst kind of 'At the end of the day' caller, as well as the repeated appearance of the same voices over and over again. Lisa from Glasgow, Ross from Oxford and John from Paisley spring to mind. So boring. It's truly turned in to an episode of Down The Line, only without any of the charm or wit.

Derbyshire's show is now like an issue of Bella full of human interest stories, stripped of anything approaching 'interest'.

Logan is a joke. 'Cadbury's is being sold - text in and tell us what your favourite chocolate bar is... Lisa from Glasgow says hers is a Picnic. I didn't know they still made those. Text in and tell us if they do.' Oh, do bore off.

I really like Richard Bacon and enjoyed his night time show, but he's so poorly suited to daytime. The constant self-reference is unbearable and incredibly lightweight. Mayo's show was one of the very best on radio anywhere and to have it replaced with this drivel is just tragic.

I shan't be going back to 5 Live for the time being.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It it aint broke....why fix it comes to mind..

why oh why all the changes?:mad:
  • Options
    europeantoureuropeantour Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Headancer wrote: »
    It it aint broke....why fix it comes to mind..

why oh why all the changes?:mad:

I totally agree.

This all to me seems to be an attempt to get listeners to go to other stations.

First the move to Salford. Barmey.
    News and Sport should be based in London. There are other stations that could move to Salford and would be better placed there.

Then Just the banality of some of the things that they are discussing and the way that they are talking about them.

And even Dare i say it...The wittertainment on Friday goes on too long. The hour was just enough.

I just cant believe how disapointed i am, and i am a big BBC and 5live listener.

Now...perhaps i am just beling previous and everything needs time to bed in

I hope so. I am 45, Male, into current affairs and all sport. Just the target audence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and having been asking Colin Murray to step up to the plate and compare his output to the Monday Night Club...

......I am now aghast to find that it Was Arlo Whites last programme last Monday

...aaaaaggggghhhh !

What is going on at 5 Live, why all the bloody changes its being totally ruined !