Options

iPad, is it worth it?

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really makes you realise that Nvidia has been extremely slow off the mark.

An ION netbook has graphics at maybe 1,000%+ faster so how come there is no ION app/games store?
    edit - oops yes, Nvidia supply the graphics for Macbooks so not good PR.
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got my iPad shipping confirmation. :)

I've been wanting to get a laptop for some time, and after analysing what exactly I wanted a laptop for, the iPad seems to fit the bill perfectly, for significantly less than an actual (Apple) laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    When did you place your orders? Placed mine on the first day (10th may) but no shipping confirmation here.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has this contraption got 3G or do you have to hunt down WiFi spots?
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a 3G model but its more expensive
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did you place your orders? Placed mine on the first day (10th may) but no shipping confirmation here.

About 1AM on the 10th here. Went for a 32gb WiFi with a case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Apparently the first batch of pre-orders have started shipping. Got my confirmation email today. Not sure what sort of numbers will be available in the retail stores on the 28th, but the 3g models are still not so easy to come by even in the US according to this.

yeah, we saw queues outside the 5th ave branch in new york the day the 3G got released and they sold out that day and in every other store in the city. after that the stores were even struggling to meet the wireless demands. they had no idea of when they were going to get the 3Gs in again
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

7am on the 10th. 32gb wifi.

Also got a 3 MiFi with PAYG data. Better value for me than the 3g model as only expecting to need 3g occasionally.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davisa wrote: »
    Just got my iPad shipping confirmation. :)

I've been wanting to get a laptop for some time, and after analysing what exactly I wanted a laptop for, the iPad seems to fit the bill perfectly, for significantly less than an actual (Apple) laptop.

Does it say that it's been shipped or when it is going to be shipped?

Just noticed that the Apple site no longer gives a delivery date for new orders, just that they will be shipping in June.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Does it say that it's been shipped or when it is going to be shipped?

Mine said it's been shipped. Presumably they are coming straight from Foxconn - so probably a few days before they reach us. Still says ETA by 28th however.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Mine said it's been shipped. Presumably they are coming straight from Foxconn - so probably a few days before they reach us. Still says ETA by 28th however.

Cool.

Haven't had my confirmation yet but I din't order until about midday on the 10th.

Edit: Just got my email :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Oh yes, the Apple experience. They do make good software, but it is made so much better when jailbroken to run third-party apps Apple wouldn't allow.

The iPad is an overpriced and under-specced gadget. For it's size and its intended media usage, it should have had at least a 1280x960 screen at the very minimum, ideally 1600x1200 for that form factor. The 1024x768 screen it has is woefully low resolution for its screen size.

Deluded fool, use one and then comment. The iPad is lightning fast for everything I use it for, it runs rings around my MacBook pro as it's optimised for the tasks it does.

What is the point of a 1600x1200 screen? The display's amazingly crisp as it is and at 9.7" you're going to struggle to notice the greater pixel density
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Specs, specs specs!!! It's the only thing that matters! Why hasn't it got a car door lock unfreezing device?!??!? and a torch!?!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john_locke wrote: »
    Specs, specs specs!!! It's the only thing that matters! Why hasn't it got a car door lock unfreezing device?!??!? and a torch!?!!

Unlike most laptops which if turned on for 10 minutes and held against the car door would melt any ice build up in seconds :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gotta say, it is definitely one of the best features of the thing. i can only keep my macbook pro on my lap for about 5 minutes before the heat becomes uncomfortable. lack of noise is also great
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Methinks 'delivered experience' is code for 'shiny shiny shiny'.

The screen itself though is the only saviour in what in reality is cheap insular $99 device.
    To be fair the iPad saving 200+ gramms can have a slightly different usage to a faster $200 netbook.

heh
    Well delivered experience is what sells, person lets friend play with ipad/iphone, they see how well it works, and another gets sold. Many were dubious on the iphones launch as well if anyone remembers. Its not until people got their hands on it that it became an easy sell. It just felt right.
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five days to go :)
    Ordered mine at 6a.m. on 10th, not had dispatch email yet (suppose it's because I ordered the 3g one).
    I don't think UPS are allowed to deliver them before the 28th in any case, but we'll see...
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    It just felt right.

It would be intersting if someone needs to make a list of these.

Is it the users that create all the slogans or are they all a Job's mantra?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    Five days to go :)
    Ordered mine at 6a.m. on 10th, not had dispatch email yet (suppose it's because I ordered the 3g one).
    I don't think UPS are allowed to deliver them before the 28th in any case, but we'll see...

The original confirmation did say "Delivers by 28th" so you never know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went for the 64GB 3G model and got the shipping confirmation email today. I ordered at 7.30am on the 10th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    The original confirmation did say "Delivers by 28th" so you never know.

If you click 'Track Shipment' it says "Estimated Delivery Date 28th May (subject to change)" - as you say you never know :)
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "delivered experience" = "happy user" = "85 million iPhone OS devices sold"

I really hope they're paying you well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    "delivered experience" = "happy user" = "85 million iPhone OS devices sold"

I am actually one of those users of 85 million iPhone OS devices sold, as I am extremely happy with my iPod touch, despite my utter skepticism of the iPad.

The iPhone and iPod touch do what they set out to do very well, with the only possible improvement being a removal of the AppStore limitations to allow open source software (which Apple will never allow to happen).

The iPad is a device which fails in every area-

Form factor: too big to be portable unless you could already carry a netbook

Functionality: lower performing than much cheaper netbooks and lacking a real keyboard which means you can't do anything serious with it

Connectivity: the iPad can only connect via its dedicated dock socket with expensive cables whereas netbooks and laptops have industry-standard USB sockets to connect to pretty much anything

Software: you can install pretty much anything on a netbook running Windows, whereas an iPad is limited to only running apps on Apple's AppStore

The iPad is a failure in every way unless you want a toy for simple media viewing, as that is all it good for (and "good" is arguable given its 1024x768 screen resolution).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    I am actually one of those users of 85 million iPhone OS devices sold, as I am extremely happy with my iPod touch, despite my utter skepticism of the iPad.

The iPhone and iPod touch do what they set out to do very well, with the only possible improvement being a removal of the AppStore limitations to allow open source software (which Apple will never allow to happen).

The iPad is a device which fails in every area-

Form factor: too big to be portable unless you could already carry a netbook

Functionality: lower performing than much cheaper netbooks and lacking a real keyboard which means you can't do anything serious with it

Connectivity: the iPad can only connect via its dedicated dock socket with expensive cables whereas netbooks and laptops have industry-standard USB sockets to connect to pretty much anything

Software: you can install pretty much anything on a netbook running Windows, whereas an iPad is limited to only running apps on Apple's AppStore

The iPad is a failure in every way unless you want a toy for simple media viewing, as that is all it good for (and "good" is arguable given its 1024x768 screen resolution).

With over a million units sold in the first 28 days and still selling as fast as apple can make them I wouldn't call it a failure.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely going to get one the main problem I'm having is trying to decide which 3G data plan to sign up for as I will probably be using it at home the most and I've got wi-fi but I will take it outoccasionally to use