Options

New Kindle now for £109/149. Absolute bargain.

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon makes you buy books only from them, but at the moment their prices look quite competitive. I have a Sony reader and almost all my books are unprotected PDF files. I only have 2 DRM protected epub books, mostly just to try out if I set my computer and reader correctly for DRM. So right now it would actually not matter if I have Kindle or Sony. I do not know iRiver reader, but Kindle looks like an interesting offer. I am going to buy one myself (6'' 3G + WiFi version)
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Amazon makes you buy books only from them, but at the moment their prices look quite competitive. I have a Sony reader and almost all my books are unprotected PDF files. I only have 2 DRM protected epub books, mostly just to try out if I set my computer and reader correctly for DRM. So right now it would actually not matter if I have Kindle or Sony. I do not know iRiver reader, but Kindle looks like an interesting offer. I am going to buy one myself (6'' 3G + WiFi version)

Just make sure you get good Vodafone coverage where you stay :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Just make sure you get good Vodafone coverage where you stay :D

Well 3G is supposed to be for free, I think it's actually included in the price of a book, but anyway, you are not supposed to pay extra for using the mobile network to get the book.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well 3G is supposed to be for free, I think it's actually included in the price of a book, but anyway, you are not supposed to pay extra for using the mobile network to get the book.

This is something Im not sure about, whether to go for the 3G or wifi model. I've pre-ordered them both and Im going to cancel one of them shortly when I decide.

I just wonder how good the web browser is. The only thing I can see the 3G being useful for is when Im abroad. I cant imagine wanting to buy books when im out and about or abroad. The 3G woulld be useful for web browsing abroad because it would be free. I know that it cant do flash, but I wonder how good it would be for simple browsing.
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked into the Kindle, I've decided against getting it, the screen is just to small, I would prefer a DX size screen as the six inch screen just does not cut it for Magazines/instruction guides and newspapers. Also to my suprise, my favourite author (James Ellroy) doesn't have any books on kindle. That said I have now installed the Kindle app on my Android phone, Ipod Touch, Netbook and Laptop. However I cant get my mobi/epub coversions from pdf into kindle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something Im not sure about, whether to go for the 3G or wifi model. I've pre-ordered them both and Im going to cancel one of them shortly when I decide.

I just wonder how good the web browser is. The only thing I can see the 3G being useful for is when Im abroad. I cant imagine wanting to buy books when im out and about or abroad. The 3G woulld be useful for web browsing abroad because it would be free. I know that it cant do flash, but I wonder how good it would be for simple browsing.

They say the browser is just experimental, so I would not expect much. I decided for 3G model, although I do not expect I will need to have some book that quickly, but I just thought why not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    Having looked into the Kindle, I've decided against getting it, the screen is just to small, I would prefer a DX size screen as the six inch screen just does not cut it for Magazines/instruction guides and newspapers. Also to my suprise, my favourite author (James Ellroy) doesn't have any books on kindle. That said I have now installed the Kindle app on my Android phone, Ipod Touch, Netbook and Laptop. However I cant get my mobi/epub coversions from pdf into kindle.

Kindle does not support epub, you need pdf or mobi. 6'' is a standard size for an ebook reader. DX is huuge, 9.7'', that's a screen of ipad size, plus the keyboard. It's nice to have that size, but it's heavier and it's not that easily portable, which is what I need. I like to read on my way to/from work.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say the browser is just experimental, so I would not expect much.
    The browser is pretty crap, even on a DX. And I managed to crash the kindle using it, requiring a reset...
    I decided for 3G model, although I do not expect I will need to have some book that quickly, but I just thought why not.
    Best choice, I think. Plenty of books (both free and chargeable) to download from Amazon via 3G "whispernet", and all my other stuff goes via calibre running on my PC. USB is fine for that. I can't see how Wi-Fi would be useful, given the inadequacy of the kindle for anything other than being an e-reader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    The browser is pretty crap, even on a DX. And I managed to crash the kindle using it, requiring a reset...

Best choice, I think. Plenty of books (both free and chargeable) to download from Amazon via 3G "whispernet", and all my other stuff goes via calibre running on my PC. USB is fine for that. I can't see how Wi-Fi would be useful, given the inadequacy of the kindle for anything other than being an e-reader.

I can use the wi-fi at home right??

Does the Whispernet only work over 3G??
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. But since the Kindle makes a rubbish web browser, I just can't see why you'd want to. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Yes.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Their browser is too slow to do much on it from the reviews on youtube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Of course. But since the Kindle makes a rubbish web browser, I just can't see why you'd want to. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Yes.

And the whispernet is for syncing across platforms and sending books to the device by email service???

So they wifi can only be used for buying books directly on the device and using the web browser???

Sorry I just want to understand it properly to make sure I buy the right one.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the good offer I'm umming and ahhing over the Kindle at the moment for two reasons:

1. We're just getting the basic model - the DX looks like it'll be a much more satisfactory sized 'read'.

2. I just installed Kindle on my Desire, and despite appearing to contradict my point 1 about size, it's actually quite easy on the eye to read in 'night' mode, so I'm thinking whether I need a full sized one at all?
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the Kindle 2 for a while now, and enjoy reading on that more than I do normal paperbacks. Of the last twelve or so books I've read all but one of them have been on the Kindle, and it did feel quite strange reading that one paperback during that time, and as I'd already got used to the ereader, it was quite uncomfortable. I use mine with a leather case.

Nice thing about the Kindle is that it saves your progress over Whispernet. I also have the iphone app so I can resume reading on that even when I don't have the Kindle with me and it's very easy to continue reading where you left off between devices, as long as you remember to "close" the book when you've finished reading it so the Amazon servers have a record of the location you reached.

I do agree about the web browser, it's not at all good and I always buy my books through the iphone or my computer.
  • Options
    magikmaxmagikmax Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2. I just installed Kindle on my Desire, and despite appearing to contradict my point 1 about size, it's actually quite easy on the eye to read in 'night' mode, so I'm thinking whether I need a full sized one at all?

I've been using Kindle for Android on the Hero for the last month or so, and have been very happy with the app, however, it does drain the battery of my phone quite badly, so I've ordered a Kindle to save a bit of power on my phone.

Also, the screen isn't too bad, but I do get a bit of eye strain after reading for a while, so I'd like to read on a bigger screen.

I've ordered the WiFi only Kindle, with the blue leather cover. Looking forward to it arriving.
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the whispernet is for syncing across platforms and sending books to the device by email service???
    So they wifi can only be used for buying books directly on the device and using the web browser???

Can Calibre converted ebooks be transferred to a wifi only kindle?
  • Options
    magikmaxmagikmax Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    Can Calibre converted ebooks be transferred to a wifi only kindle?

From what I gather, you can sync the Kindle via USB to your PC, to transfer files etc. so shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    magikmax wrote: »
    From what I gather, you can sync the Kindle via USB to your PC, to transfer files etc. so shouldn't be an issue.

Yes you can use calibre or a straight drag and drop to your device folders to get the Converted/DRM free books onto your Kindle.

Well I've decided on the wifi only model so Im going to cancel my 3G order today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rumor is that new Sony Readers will be due out soon so I am gonna hold out and see what Sony do, I assume they will be using these new high contrast screens too.

Story here - http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/08/12/new-sony-reader-ebook-devices-coming-soon/
    According to one of our most trusted sources, there is word that two new touchscreen Sony Reader devices (PRS-350 and PRS-650) with E-Ink technology are coming to the market soon. Many of you who observe product life cycles know this is the usual time of the year for a Reader product refresh, and we have secured further details about the upcoming devices. Sony has been under pressure in the E-Book Reader product category as they face increased competition from rivals Apple (iPad), Amazon (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook), Ectaco, and other companies.

The two new Sony Reader devices will be very attractively priced, and are definitely much more compact and lighter than previous models with a possible width under 10mm (extremely thin). From what we’re hearing the new models will also have improved contrast and faster page turns. The PRS-650 will have a six inch screen while the PRS-350 will have a five inch screen. There will also be a bump in capacity from the usual 512MB or less found in currently Sony Reader models to 2GB of internal storage. We are not sure if that capacity bump extends to both devices, but will most certainly be true for the PRS-650. We also know that the PRS-650 will have Wi-Fi (and possibly free 3G), while the PRS-350 will not have any wireless connectivity (like the PRS-300).

As for the software side of things, the Sony Reader UI in both devices has been revised with a new home interface, and the note-taking software (found in the PRS-600) will trickle down and now be available in the PRS-350 as well. Battery life will probably be the same as previous models at nearly two weeks (or perhaps a bit higher), and other features such as USB 2.0 and Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, BBeB Book, ePub/ACS4 and Adobe Digital Edition format compatibility will return. As for aesthetics, we see that the same colors as before should be available for both series.
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »

One of the things that puts me off the Kindle is being locked into Amazon, but at that price... Has anyone had any experience of both the Story and Kindle that they would like to share?

Is it really locked to Amazon? Been looking into getting a Kindle myself, and Amazon says this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse/ref=kin3w_ddp_frb_sm?ie=UTF8&node=434020031

Says you can visit the internet archive, project gutenberg, open library, manybooks.net, so there are millions of books you can download to the Kindle. Most seem to have a Kindle format, but it says you can download in Mobilink too. Then just email to your kindles email address and it'll get there over the wi-fi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Is it really locked to Amazon? Been looking into getting a Kindle myself, and Amazon says this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse/ref=kin3w_ddp_frb_sm?ie=UTF8&node=434020031

Says you can visit the internet archive, project gutenberg, open library, manybooks.net, so there are millions of books you can download to the Kindle. Most seem to have a Kindle format, but it says you can download in Mobilink too. Then just email to your kindles email address and it'll get there over the wi-fi.

Yes you can download free books from various places but you can only buy books from Amazon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yes you can download free books from various places but you can only buy books from Amazon.

Ah, I see.

Just been having a look at manybooks.net though, and there are so many books for free I'd like to read on there that I think the Kindle could last me an age without actually paying for a book. Ideal pressie for the missus to get me for my 40th next week.. .pity it won't arrive in time now..:(
  • Options
    Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    I ordered one yesterday, can't wait for it to arrive! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just taken the plunge, preordered and in the queue.

What are the screens made of - glass or soft like an LCD? Is the leather case an essential add-on to prevent scratches?
  • Options
    Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Just taken the plunge, preordered and in the queue.

What are the screens made of - glass or soft like an LCD? Is the leather case an essential add-on to prevent scratches?

I don't know about using the case to prevent scratches, but I have read that people prefer holding their kindle with one.