Options

Why did Rebecca not have her moment?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
Matt had one when he sang "First time ever I saw your face."

Mary had one when she sang "this is a man's world"

Cher when she sang "stay".

It was meant to happen for Rebecca too. She had lots of really good performances but why did she never have her moment where the audience, judges and viewers at home were all stunned?

Comments

• Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she finally did it with Sweet Dreams, but it was a little too late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did she get a standing ovation from all 4 judges for this song?

I can't remember.
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member

I agree with this - if she'd done this in one of the pimp slots she had earier in the series she may have had a similar reaction to Stay

funny no-one is mentioning 1D's moment!! that was probably Harrygate:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FernandoM wrote: »

I can't remember.

Yeah she did but all 3 finalists got standing ovations for each of their performances in the final.
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member

I can't remember.

yes but all of them did in the final for everything I think. The only one during the series was Matt's for FT they were a lot more stingy with praise this year I think (well appart from the Beatles of course:D)
  • Options
    colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standing ovation mean naff all when it was all done for sure.

cher got a standing ovation, tells you everything.

In the real world she would of been booed off stage and forced into hiding she was that bad.

Dont read anything into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    Yeah she did but all 3 finalists got standing ovations for each of their performances in the final.

This was the problem - she needed a standing ovation from all 4 judges on any show apart from the final. The final is far too late to have a moment.

Another issue for Rebecca was that she had some slightly shaky performances e.g. yesterday.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan of Rebecca's voice in general but I really liked her when she was doing the non bluesy stuff. On the other hand I suspect that that is what her fans preferred (the bluesy stuff).

So maybe she would have found it harder to please everyone then the other acts.

I loved her Sweet Dreams :)
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member

This.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the problem - she needed a standing ovation from all 4 judges on any show apart from the final. The final is far too late to have a moment.

Another issue for Rebecca was that she had some slightly shaky performances e.g. yesterday.

Yesterday was a terrible performance.

However Sweet Dreams turned me into a fan of hers - that's the route she should go down in terms of her career in the future IMO, but like you say - she left it too late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of Rebecca's voice in general but I really liked her when she was doing the non bluesy stuff. On the other hand I suspect that that is what her fans preferred (the bluesy stuff).

So maybe she would have found it harder to please everyone then the other acts.

I loved her Sweet Dreams :)

She would make a great dance music singer. Rhythm is a dancer, sweet dreams, Show me love etc etc.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    She didn't have any defining moments because she had no stage presence apart from wagging her fingers :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't have any defining moments because she had to stage presence apart from wagging her fingers :D

Stage presence for many singers is a cover up for 'I have no talent so I will distract you with some pointless and stupid dance routine'

Genuinely talented singers do not need to prance around like an idiot because they have great voices.

You pay for the music, if you wanted to see a show you would go to the west end or similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah it wasn't Sweet Dreams; her moment was with "You've Got To Show Me Love". But yeah...it was too late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the basic problem was that she doesn't have enough range or varitaion in her vocal. It's all one level. Doesn't make for a 'moment'.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    colnechris wrote: »
    Stage presence for many singers is a cover up for 'I have no talent so I will distract you with some pointless and stupid dance routine'

Genuinely talented singers do not need to prance around like an idiot because they have great voices.

You pay for the music, if you wanted to see a show you would go to the west end or similar.

Stage presence is not about dancing. It's about commanding the stage. You can do that by dancing or by standing still at the mike. You can also dance or just sing but have no stage presence.

Many genuinely talented singers may not need to dance because they have great voices, but choose to do so because they can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the basic problem was that she doesn't have enough range or varitaion in her vocal. It's all one level. Doesn't make for a 'moment'.

Yeh maybe she should of squatted down and curled out a (c)rap like cher.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Yeh maybe she should of squatted down and curled out a (c)rap like cher.

It's not Cher's fault that Rebecca didn't have a moment.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Stage presence is not about dancing. It's about commanding the stage. You can do that by dancing or by standing still at the mike. You can also dance or just sing but have no stage presence.

Many genuinely talented singers may not need to dance because they have great voices, but choose to do so because they can.

Stage presence is nothing to do with that.

Its to cover up a performers flaws.

Only a few can do both, Lady Gaga being one. Dont like her but she owns the stage and she can sing.

A great singer commands the stage with their voice, everything else is just a gimmick.

poor singers use gimmicks to detract away from the awful sound they make.

Put Cheryl Cole on stage on her own and witness exactly what I mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    It's not Cher's fault that Rebecca didn't have a moment.;)

Cher had a lot of moments.

I feel sorry for the cleaners. The smell must of been over powering.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Rebecca had great stage presence. For me she just exuded CLASS! I really wanted to like her singing better but as I said before that was very dependant on what she sang
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wicked Game would have been her moment but it was overshadowed by Stay.

Sweet Dreams gets it I think, if only she had done that a few weeks earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Postbox wrote: »
    Wicked Game would have been her moment but it was overshadowed by Stay.

Sweet Dreams gets it I think, if only she had done that a few weeks earlier.
    I agree on both parts.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what people want sometimes.

Rebecca was the only contestant who stayed for a decent length of time not to attract one iota of criticism from any of the judges.

We constantly had all the subliminal messages about her being a role model, being from Liverpool & a potential winner etc, even during the weeks where she wasn't up to scratch.

She had arguably the easiest ride this year from the judges; even One Direction received the merest hint of derision from Dannii one week.

All the talk about her not having a stand-out performance is not really fair because she received positive feedback for every single performance she did, even the not so good performances.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

Great post:)