Options

Why won't the BBC let Only Fools die?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First they brought it back for 3 extremely dodgy episodes after it was meant to have finished with a fantastic ending in 1996, then they had the spin off with Boycie and Marlene living in the countryside which was about as funny as a toothache. Now its this Rock And Chips thing which isn't terrible,i just find it a bit boring. And i am not convinced by Nick Lyndhurst as this Freddie the Frog, he will always be Rodney in my mind. Only Fools was a good show which was a massive hit for the bbc at its peak but i feel its time they let go now.

Comments

• Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock and Chips is an appalling title for a TV show.

As for OFAH, as long as it's not some talking head haranguing me for the umpteenth time that 'Delboy falling through the bar' is the funniest thing EVER, then I don't particularly mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    First they brought it back for 3 extremely dodgy episodes after it was meant to have finished with a fantastic ending in 1996, then they had the spin off with Boycie and Marlene living in the countryside which was about as funny as a toothache. Now its this Rock And Chips thing which isn't terrible,i just find it a bit boring. And i am not convinced by Nick Lyndhurst as this Freddie the Frog, he will always be Rodney in my mind. Only Fools was a good show which was a massive hit for the bbc at its peak but i feel its time they let go now.

Oh god it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god it is

tbh i didn't see last nights one, preferring to dig out my Dads Army dvds instead. But the first one i thought wasn't that bad, but not that great either, just a bit meh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    tbh i didn't see last nights one, preferring to dig out my Dads Army dvds instead. But the first one i thought wasn't that bad, but not that great either, just a bit meh.

Its really really really dull
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really really really dull

i saw 2 minutes of it before i put Dads Army on, i did get the impression it wasn't going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 has a core audience of middle-class fifty-somethings and upwards who have fond memories of these 70s shows.

Apparently they will watch the remakes, reimaginings, revisitings (The One Ronnie) and so forth and find them acceptable entertainment.

Those in charge are taking the easy short-term path to ratings success rather than think of the future by providing for a wider range of viewers.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's different but good.

Well written with sound characters.

Keep it going.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Lots of people watch it, that's why they won't let it die. I think much the same thing as the OP whenever I have a TV soap inflicted on me by relatives during the Christmas break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    BBC1 has a core audience of middle-class fifty-somethings and upwards who have fond memories of these 70s shows.

Apparently they will watch the remakes, reimaginings, revisitings (The One Ronnie) and so forth and find them acceptable entertainment.

Those in charge are taking the easy short-term path to ratings success rather than think of the future by providing for a wider range of viewers.

I can't think of one redeeming factor about it

Buckley is basically Jay in it so that wasn't a great move
    and the fact its the story of the woman makes it even duller
    It has no life to it
  • Options
    PaperhousePaperhouse Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The appearance of a Routemaster bus which postdated the episode by at least four years was disappointing; and then I go really bored and fell off to sleep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It has no life to it

I presume the BB in your username refers to Big Brother........

It would figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last actual series of Only Fools was in 1991, nearly 20 years ago! When you think that its been xmas specials and spin offs for 20 years but not another actual series of OFAH it seems strange. Some of the xmas specials were good but some weren't (Fatal Extraction) i think OFAH reached its peak of brilliance with the 1988 xmas special dates and then the 1989 series which was a classic. But this is going back a longtime. 20 odd years on i think its time they put it to bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    I presume the BB in your username refers to Big Brother........

It would figure.

Young
    Naive

Not able to change the name :rolleyes:

If that is all you've got then i'd suggest you don't bother
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young
    Naive

If that is all you've got then i'd suggest you don't bother

Even if you once considered yourself a Big Brother Fanatic it still says enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Even if you once considered yourself a Big Brother Fanatic it still says enough.

It says nothing except you're a closed minded imbecile
    but there we go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would UK Gold do without OFAH? It's on every 5 minutes.
  • Options
    ClassicsGuyClassicsGuy Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's alright. Long may it continue.

It's quality drama/comedy; there isn't enough on tv. At least it's not begging you to phone/text in.

It's the reality and cookery shows that need axing.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really should have ended in 1996 when Del Boy achieved his dream and became a millionaire. Rock and Chips is just self indulgent, only a really hardcore OFAH fan will recognise the name Freddie the Frog( from a 1987 Christmas special) and the humour just isn't there like it was in OFAH.
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    It's better than Green Green Grass,but a mile away from the Only Fools and Horses of 1981 - 1989.And I thought that was overrated!

Well acted and nostalgic,yet we all know the story of the Trotters.So it's really just a show for OF&H diehard fans.Like Roy Clarke,John Sullivan really needs to move on to something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says nothing except you're a closed minded imbecile
    but there we go

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.......
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member

You are. Quite easily in fact. BB fans are a bit slow on the uptake though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has no life to it[/QUOTE
    ]

FM. That's the point, isn't it? All those deathbed statements that Delboy claimed his Mum made to him were peripheral to the OFAH fans, who took them with a very big pinch of salt. They certainly didn't expect to hear about her apart from that, and here we are with a sequel masquerading as a prequel devoted to her. Every thing has a natural life span and the 1980s was OFAH's and it should be have been alllowed to rest in peace and, for it's true fans,be allowed top take it's place in tv history as one of the greats in comedy. It's not being let rest in peace as it stands.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that there's such a dearth of watchable TV on any channel (as there was on Thursday) that the BBC believe the ratings for repeats of these will be acceptable.
    I've always said "viewers get the standard of TV they deserve." If they continue to watch repeats and poor programmes, the networks will keep serving them up.

It shows how bad the situation now is, where my telly mag. say's tonight's "pick" on BBC1 is a repeat of Jonathan Creek. It might even be a "repeat of a repeat."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    'Delboy falling through the bar' is the funniest thing EVER,

It is though. Yep great golden classic series 1981-1996. They do need to 'let it go' but it's popular and an spinner they can milk forever so sadly they will.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

Erm Tassium? Care to tell us who would provide for those fifty-somethings if BBC1 wasn't there?

Are they not just serving a section of the populace that isn't well served by others?

Erm, why have you said something like this?

Eastenders, The Apprentice and Dr Who are some of THE most popular programmes amongst YOUNG PEOPLE!!!!!!

Completely demolishing any credibility that you post contains!