Options

Asus EEE Pad Transformer anyone buying one?

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone going to buy the Asus EEE pad transformer I have one arriving on Friday from Comet.

It looks like a good android tablet to me as it runs honeycomb. I have an ipad 2 but want another tablet to do stuff the ipad 2 can't do.

Comments

• Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been my second choice if the Xoom wasn't on order. The only problem is, I don't want a keyboard or another netbook. If I bought it without the keyboard it would always be there in my mind that I was lacking it.
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seen it for pre order on ebuyer here http://www.ebuyer.com/asus-transformer?hpb=1

will def get one but having to save first for it get it in a couple of months. every video and report give it top marks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my Asus See Pad Transformer today. What an amazing piece of kit. The screen is incredible & honeycomb is amazing. The cameras both of them are great too unlike the iPad 2 which I also have.
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I got mine yesterday too... I agree with gregrichards. What a great piece of kit. Everything about it just feels like it's very good quality and well designed, even though you do usually associate Asus with more of a budget brand.

This is my first Tablet computer so I have nothing to compare it with but I highly recommend it.

All I need now is a protective sleeve or something to pop it in when it's not being used or transporting it around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimall wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday too... I agree with gregrichards. What a great piece of kit. Everything about it just feels like it's very good quality and well designed, even though you do usually associate Asus with more of a budget brand.

This is my first Tablet computer so I have nothing to compare it with but I highly recommend it.

All I need now is a protective sleeve or something to pop it in when it's not being used or transporting it around.

If you get the keyboard for it that clips on and is just like a laptop to close.

I would definately agree with a protective screen but if you can get the matt effect one as it cuts out a lot of reflection from windows, lights etc.

If you want something to pop it in then pay for a better one than a cheapo one as it will protect it better and cut down rick of damage. I would take the tablet with you to currys or similar and get a shockproof and waterproof job.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks nice, I really like it, being Android means it's an open system, but I don't think I need/want one.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could anyone do a a compare and contrast please with this and an iPad 2.

Is it really getting excellent reviews? Honestly i've never heard of Asus EEE Pad Transformer, why is more not being said about this tablet pc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Could anyone do a a compare and contrast please with this and an iPad 2.

Is it really getting excellent reviews? Honestly i've never heard of Asus EEE Pad Transformer, why is more not being said about this tablet pc?

A lot is being said about the transformer just Google it. The device only came out yesterday.

I am seriously considering selling my iPad 2 now as it is inferior in so many ways.

The iPads cameras are worse & its great being able to put what you want a tablet than being forced to buy it on iTunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connectivity - USB, HDMI, wifi, bluetooth, SD cardreader, everything directly on it. And there's Flash. You do not have to use it, but at least you have a choice.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimall wrote: »
    Ieven though you do usually associate Asus with more of a budget brand.
    They are known as 'premium brand without premium prices'.

They just do not have high brand awareness in Europe.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot is being said about the transformer just Google it. The device only came out yesterday.

I did. I put ASUS EEE Transformer Pad into Google UK and on the 1st page not one current proper full review from any of the UK tech sites that i read. All i saw was 'hands on' but that was all. Shame.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    They just do not have high brand awareness in Europe.

They're quite well known for motherboards too. It's their wave of Eee machines that have helped. I still use my Eee netbook too.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also, at least they used to, manufacturer the Macbook for Apple.
    This also gave them the quality tag.

MSI are similar in motherboard manufacture, which is why I rate their laptops above their current budget prices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I was looking at buying the iPad 2, but this tablet seems to be much more impressive, especially considering it's only £30 extra. Having Flash support would be great as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    for those who havent bought the Eee transformer yet its worth checking this out too ---> http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/11/acers-windows-powered-iconia-w500-up-for-pre-order-for-549-sh/
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transformer rooted before Asus can get it out of the door. http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/11/transformer-rooted-before-asus-can-get-it-out-the-door/
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for those who havent bought the Eee transformer yet its worth checking this out too ---> http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/11/acers-windows-powered-iconia-w500-up-for-pre-order-for-549-sh/

I wouldn't touch the Acer with a barge pole, their laptop battery life are badly calibrated when compared to other manufacturers & putting an AMD in it, is a big mistake imho, as AMD processors are very cheaply made & are often overclocked to such an extent that they overheat easily.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »

Great news, that'll teach them to make Honeycomb a closed source. :D
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like we will have to wait abit longer Amazon have changed dates to the 1st June 2011 to getting it for dispatching and ebuyer saying 19th May. oh well can save abit more with out worring now:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I bought one from Comet, delivered last Sat (9th April), paid £380 for the 16GB version without keyboard.

Potentially, it's an excellent product. The display is superb, best I've seen on any tablet, it's very fast (Tegra 2 dual core 1GHz samd as Xoom) and has expandability with the SD slot. Has HDMI out but USB only comes with the keyboard dock.

The only let down is Android Honeycomb. It's really buggy or maybe the apps are really buggy. The browser regularly force closes, Facebook widget doesn't work, many apps crash or are on a tiny little screen because they haven't been optimised for tablet dislays.

Give it 6 months or so and it will be a fantastic product, right now it's buggy and painful at times. Having said that since I got it I've picked up up my Macbook Air about twice and I'm seriously considering selling that. Even with it's shortcomings the Asus tablet is a very nice bit of HW waiting for the OS and SW to catch up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame. Imagine somebody coming up with an OS like that for "real computers" :eek: Apparently it's good enough in mobile computing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought one from Comet, delivered last Sat (9th April), paid £380 for the 16GB version without keyboard.

Potentially, it's an excellent product. The display is superb, best I've seen on any tablet, it's very fast (Tegra 2 dual core 1GHz samd as Xoom) and has expandability with the SD slot. Has HDMI out but USB only comes with the keyboard dock.

The only let down is Android Honeycomb. It's really buggy or maybe the apps are really buggy. The browser regularly force closes, Facebook widget doesn't work, many apps crash or are on a tiny little screen because they haven't been optimised for tablet dislays.

Give it 6 months or so and it will be a fantastic product, right now it's buggy and painful at times. Having said that since I got it I've picked up up my Macbook Air about twice and I'm seriously considering selling that. Even with it's shortcomings the Asus tablet is a very nice bit of HW waiting for the OS and SW to catch up.

Mine is honestly working great no complaints at all.
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member

Well, I've had the Eee Pad for just over a week now and I totally agree with the above comment. I don't think it's so much "Honeycomb" but rather the Apps, here's what I've experienced:

Note: The apps I used for the below comments are the ones supplied with the device... it's possible I could remove these issues by downloading 3rd party apps.

Music: Doesn't display Album Art correctly - you just get a place-holder image instead of the album cover image. In order to get it working you have to rename the albums folder where the MP3's are (using file manager), open the music app, close it, rename the folder back to the original name (optional, if you want to keep the renamed name) and then album art should work. You may also need to reboot the Pad.
    File Manager: Crashes all the time - simple tasks like renaming folders, copying and pasting will crash it. Guaranteed.
    Android Market: After you have 10 Apps installed, all further apps you install seem to end up in the "Not Installed" section of "My Apps". This means that they cannot be removed or managed because the Market "thinks" they're not installed. To remove the apps you have to do it via the Android Settings > Applications > Manage Apps and then reboot the Pad to remove from the Not Installed section of the Market.

The Asus@Vibe, MyLibrary and MyNet apps aren't finished yet. You can't do anything other than read the default book (Alice in Wonderland) in MyLibrary. The only language MyNet seems to be available in is Portuguese and when viewing content on the Pad it just displays it in one long list but when connected via DLNA to the PC it displays content by putting it in various categories (i.e. music by Genre, Album name, Artist etc).

The Browser crashes every so often and YouTube has crashed on me but I don't really use YouTube so I don't know if that's a regularly thing or not.

After all that's said above though, Apps/Games that I have downloaded from the Market all seem to be fine. You do get the odd app that isn't Tablet friendly and shows in a tiny window in the corner of the screen. I'm guessing that would probably be the same for any Tablet though?

I think the crashing is just really very poor testing by Asus on their apps. I'm sure they'll be an update soon to fix all these issues. Until then I will probably just use 3rd Party alternatives.

The Eee Pad is still a great piece of kit however, and if you're considering getting one I definitely would recommend it but just be prepared for some crashes until an update is released.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went and checked it out yesterday, seemed like a great piece of kit and I was almost convinced to buy one, till I realised no 3g :(

On checking since getting home it seems the 3g version wont be released till Q3 dont think i can be bothered wait that long so will see what else comes out over the next month or so.
  • Options
    ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch the Acer with a barge pole, their laptop battery life are badly calibrated when compared to other manufacturers & putting an AMD in it, is a big mistake imho, as AMD processors are very cheaply made & are often overclocked to such an extent that they overheat easily.

That is such nonsense. You have no idea what you are talking about.

I have built and owned many AMD powered computers and never had any issues with them. They are no less reliable than Intel and built just as well. Intel and AMD dominate the world's CPU market for a reason.