Sky+ to Tivo

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We are looking at changing from Sky plus to Tivo, price wise its only a few quid a month extra. Just woundering if its worth it? Tivo looks a lot better, but you guys will know if its any good lol.

Comments

• porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukool wrote: »
    We are looking at changing from Sky plus to Tivo, price wise its only a few quid a month extra. Just woundering if its worth it? Tivo looks a lot better, but you guys will know if its any good lol.

Tivo wipes the floor with Sky+, however the main thing to think about is really the channel choice rather than the box.

Purely on the box its a no brainer.
    Tivo has 3 tuners , loads of features and will alert you to clashes up to 2 weeks before they occur whereas the first notice of a series link clash on Sky+ is usually when you see FAILED on the screen

As long as you don't mind losing the additional HD channels its not hard to see the best deal.

If you are completely new to Virgin you should be able to get a great inroductory deal if you ring them to ask what they can offer to make you switch from Sky

Tivo does have some annoyances with its operating logic but this is with features that Sky+ does not even support
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thanks for the link. It really does look better then sky!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    Tivo wipes the floor with Sky+, however the main thing to think about is really the channel choice rather than the box.

Purely on the box its a no brainer.
    Tivo has 3 tuners , loads of features and will alert you to clashes up to 2 weeks before they occur whereas the first notice of a series link clash on Sky+ is usually when you see FAILED on the screen

As long as you don't mind losing the additional HD channels its not hard to see the best deal.

If you are completely new to Virgin you should be able to get a great inroductory deal if you ring them to ask what they can offer to make you switch from Sky

Tivo does have some annoyances with its operating logic but this is with features that Sky+ does not even support

We have virgin internet, phone and a basic package box so well aware of channel choice, but other then losing Atlantic thiers nothing major, and i watch most stuff online ;)

We dont bother with HD so not going to miss them. If i get my way.. we will be getting it, just got to convince my mum, who wouldnt understand half the stuff the tivo box does anyway lol.
  • stevelupstevelup Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »

Hi

Your page on TiVo is really good, but quite a few of the issues you raised have been resolved in the latest software release.

It's probably worth updating?

Steve
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth the move I reckon It will be different and take a bit of getting used to but once you know how to work it it's fine
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only noticed last night that now in Music On Demand, the alphabet is broken up into sections where there are huge numbers of entries, which is not as good as a search but better than the previous situation. And don't forget you can jump to the bottom of each list by pressing SKIP FORWARD and then going back up which may be quicker still.

I notice that in the pics of the search function results that JethroUK displays there is "Somebody to Love" by Justin Bieber which is a music video!!!:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    My parents moved from sky and they got some great introductory offers including free hd multiroom. Which saves you extra from sky who charge £7p/m or so and it wouldn't be a HD box.

I think its: www.virginmedia.com/sky4
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    I notice that in the pics of the search function results that JethroUK displays there is "Somebody to Love" by Justin Bieber which is a music video!!!:confused:

Well spotted - I ripped this particular picture of the web - just because it was there (the rest I took myself of my TV)

Dont think the search feature actually searches Music too - it must be USA version - albeit never tried it/or noticed myself
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    be interesting if it does search the music though. Looks like our tivos. Surely its not VM in USA ???
    Forum Member
    thats true - Red is VMs own colour scheme (std Tivo uses Blue I think) and it actually says "Virgin Media" on screen shot - so who knows - maybe
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely a UK Tivo screen, proven by the progs on top (Waterloo Road etc). Search result obviously faked as there is no way (currently) to serach music videos.

And in Jethro's Tivo/Sky comparison did you not miss giving a big thumbs up to retrieving deleted programmes or have I missed it? I use that more often than I thought I would!
    Forum Member
    Definitely a UK Tivo screen, proven by the progs on top (Waterloo Road etc). Search result obviously faked as there is no way (currently) to serach music videos.

And in Jethro's Tivo/Sky comparison did you not miss giving a big thumbs up to retrieving deleted programmes or have I missed it? I use that more often than I thought I would!

I do need to include that if I've missed it - i use it lots too
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to try it later to see if it does show music results, but I'm guessing a lot of you will have tried already.