Comments

• chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jean Gavery is a new one on me
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    since peter allan will be hosting most program all week next week i am hoping for him to retire since he is an old codger who refuses to go on social media and lack the knowledge of ever changing technology also bacon needs to go off air since he spends most times in southern france or spain or even USA/New york the guy has it easy and get away with murder like putting feet up on desks/walls and if we did that get into trouble

hoping 5live gets a revamp and fire or get rid of its presenters since most are aging or been there for too long like being at 5live for 20yrs is a bit much too be honest
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    since peter allan will be hosting most program all week next week i am hoping for him to retire since he is an old codger who refuses to go on social media and lack the knowledge of ever changing technology

So just because he is in his sixties and doesn't go on and on about Twitter he should retire? So the fact he is the most experienced and knowledgeable presenter on 5 live doesn't count?

Does everything need to be dumbed down to 140 characters or less?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    since peter allan will be hosting most program all week next week i am hoping for him to retire since he is an old codger who refuses to go on social media and lack the knowledge of ever changing technology also bacon needs to go off air since he spends most times in southern france or spain or even USA/New york the guy has it easy and get away with murder like putting feet up on desks/walls and if we did that get into trouble

*hits head off table repeatedly*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So just because he is in his sixties and doesn't go on and on about Twitter he should retire? So the fact he is the most experienced and knowledgeable presenter on 5 live doesn't count?

Does everything need to be dumbed down to 140 characters or less?

since the majority of bbc staff are on some sort of social media even bbc legends like john humpheys of bbc today program and other bbc oldies are on tiwtter and most people on 5live are on twitter he is the only one thats not also he cant keep up with technology sooner or later he will have to leave since the guy been there for 20yrs since beginning of 5live a job i would stay in that long may be 10 or 15 the most if pushing then after quit or retire

asmir mir has left for some reason and were is she on 5live on 20
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just foud jane Gavery is also on twitter @janegavery1 even anna hahah foster is on tiwtter hell even aasma mir is on tiwitter accept for old man allan must feel out of place for him everyone on social media and he is not

we know nothing about him accept that he has a barn and lives on a farm according to top 10 list site
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    just foud jane Gavery is also on twitter @janegavery1 even anna hahah foster is on tiwtter hell even aasma mir is on tiwitter accept for old man allan must feel out of place for him everyone on social media and he is not

we know nothing about him accept that he has a barn and lives on a farm according to top 10 list site

Are you a stalker :confused: What has a presenters personal life got to do with you?

It is a refreshing change not to have a presenter go on and on about Twitter - one of the many reasons I like Peter Allen. Maybe the fact he doesn't feel the need to follow the crowd is why he has survived for twenty years on 5 live.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty sure janegavery1 will not be Jane Garvey if that is how it is spelt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    pretty sure janegavery1 will not be Jane Garvey if that is how it is spelt.

meant to be janegarvey1 also hoping for a revalation during march 28th maybe announcemnt of peter allan retirement or announce finally go onto twitter also hoping for adrian chiles full time to take over peter allan
    Forum Member

Given some of your contributions to this thread I can see why he might not want a direct line to you...
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    *hits head off table repeatedly*

Off or on???
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Ok, two things crop up from recent posts. Has Five Live changed my life? Yes. It's made me far more aware of news stories from the UK and around the world. I was never one to read a newspaper or watch much TV news before getting into 5. It's probably just as much a product of my age, I was 22 when the station was born as not so concerned about World issues, but it's now, without doubt, my preferred method of news delivery. I don't trust papers at all and even the BBC main news programmes seem a bit sensationalist (watch The Day Today or Brass Eye these days and they don't seem so crazy now). The other way in which it has changed my life is in the ability to get on with something else like cooking or gardening while still staying right up to date with sports in which I'm interested (mostly football). You can't win 4 successive Fantasy Football League Seasons (albeit against your mates) on luck alone...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Allen it is clear is retiring when others should have been shown the door years ago. What is crazy is that no names need to be mentioned as everyone knows who they are. Noel Edmonds could find no better place to start...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member

He lives on a farm - and he has a barn? Earth shaking stuff. I couldn't care if he lived on the top floor of a 30 floor skyscraper, and actually designs escalators in his spare time - the guy is a fine broadcaster. Please can you explain why it is necessary to be on Twitter (congratulations on the incorrect spelling of Twitter 2 out of 3 times in the quoted post) for someone to do a good job on a news radio station?
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Questions such as this are a product of tv , radio and press people who like nothing better than to indulge themselves in their own self importance.

After listening to Victoria Derbyshire for a number of days I did seek treatment for clinical depression but thankfully I 'm alright now, as for a cure I just throw the radio through the window as far as possible.

anyone who managed to catch that documentary this week all about the internal workings of the BBC will know why 5live is what it is.....

and why it comes up with daft decisions like employing Derbyshire & Fogerty and their dire output......

check it out on iPlayer if you can i think it was called W1A..
    Forum Member
    Peter Allen it is clear is retiring when others should have been shown the door years ago. What is crazy is that no names need to be mentioned as everyone knows who they are. Noel Edmonds could find no better place to start...

Don't make me dig out that Noel's HQ clip to show you why Edmonds' involvement would be a disaster... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    meant to be janegarvey1 also hoping for a revalation during march 28th maybe announcemnt of peter allan retirement or announce finally go onto twitter also hoping for adrian chiles full time to take over peter allan

there really are some complete and utter morons on DS.
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Did my ears deceive me at 7.00pm tonight did Adrian Chiles say Bacon would be doing Drive with Caroline Barker on Monday?
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of cash and highly paid jobs for the boys massive pay offs and waste a £100,000,000 of the pressed publics money and then they have the Gaul to criticize Edmonds.

People at 5 live seem to be affected by the illusion that what they do is more important than anything else and we should all be eternally grateful to them for doing it.:confused:

• Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did my ears deceive me at 7.00pm tonight did Adrian Chiles say Bacon would be doing Drive with Caroline Barker on Monday?
    According to the schedules for Monday you heard correct! Peter is swapping with Richard will be on air at 2pm while Richard co-hosts Drive.

The list of swaps for next week

Monday: PA (2pm) / Richard Bacon
    Tuesday: PA (10am) / Victoria Derbyshire
    Wednesday: PA (12pm) / Tony Livesey (covering for Shelagh Fogarty)
    Thursday: PA (7am including 9am phone-in) / Nicky Campbell
    Friday: PA (4pm) co-hosting Drive with Jane Garvey
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The schedules listed at the 5 Live website for Monday 31 March 2014 only go up to 9am. I wonder if there is some significance in that? Perhaps there isn't but I've not seen that happen before. Could there be something happening that day (or not happening that day, depending on how you look at it) that 5 Live are about to announce? A departure perhaps?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no problem with the excellent Rhod Sharp on Up All Night for these past 20 years now, although at times he does seem a bit jaded nowadays, but it's the other half of the week like now overnights at weekends that need to be fully freshened up from the stale and coasting Dotun Adebayo who's 13 odd years seem like twice that amount on Up All Night and now make me actively turn off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the advent of national Lbc; an improved Talksport (with more football commentaries) and smart phones - has taken the edge off the "breaking news and sport" Five Live.
    Add the fact that commentaries have been lost, and a significant number of the presenters and programmes are very inferior or just plain stale - and in my opinion Five is damn ready for a major overhaul.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    anyone who managed to catch that documentary this week all about the internal workings of the BBC will know why 5live is what it is.....

and why it comes up with daft decisions like employing Derbyshire & Fogerty and their dire output......

check it out on iPlayer if you can i think it was called W1A..

You are being ironic there aren't you?

I mean, you DO know that was a comedy yes?

Good.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    You are being ironic there aren't you?

I mean, you DO know that was a comedy yes?

Good.

A comedy? Are you sure? :confused:;):)
This discussion has been closed.