Are there safe areas in Edinburgh?

13»

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK thanks, don't worry Doster has rented some rooms in a local hotel and I can stay there.

I hope to meet some Scottish people but I don't want them to attack me so I am probably going to go pretending to be Canadian as I hear they attack English people on sight.

And of course us here in London are just so safe all the time aren't we ?

I assume you are taking the p*** but if not then all places have good and bad areas no city is immune.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Is Muirhouse Green still a scary area?

Well Craigroyston High School in Muirhouse got burnt down a few years ago and while the fire service were trying to put it out, eight fire hoses and the tyres of one fire vehicle got slashed so I wouldn't say it's one of the nicest parts of Edinburgh. Having said that, the council have demolished parts of Muirhouse and Pennywell for regeneration, which has involved moving people to other areas. I'm sure they'll be more choosy about who they let back into the nice new housing.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Princess Street is in Manchester

:o I should know that. I have a Princes Street in my home town. No hookers or sex bars, though.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    I hear they attack English people on sight.

Are you kidding, there are more sassenachs in Edinburgh than Scots.

;)
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »
    Sighthill is perfectly safe. Pilton too.

:D:D:D

You forgot Wester Hailes.
  • nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canadian butting in here.

Unless you want to be accused of being an American develop a really horrific francophone accent and tell everyone you are Quebecoise. Many Canadians are of Scots origin and nobody in their right mind would pretend to be a Quebecoise.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extremities of route 14 ie Muirhouse and Niddrie are best avoided. Edinburgh is mostly ok though.
  • Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to live in Meadowbank which I loved until landlord sold my flat and I had to move back to Liverpool :( try Portobello aswell very nice beach resort aswell. Otherwise the city centre is pretty safe around the York Place area.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a far safer city than Glasgow with fewer deprived areas. Only places to avoid would be Muirhouse, Pennywell, Niddrie and Wester Hailes, but unless you want a council flat, you wouldn't move there.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    It's full of Begbie types from 'Transportting'. Stay away ;)
    Just don't go into a pub and ask for directions to the bathroom.