Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Android 5.0.1 has just appeared on my 2013 Nexus7. In view of the comments here, I'm very reluctant to install it. The earlier version (5.0) has been sitting on my wife's 2012 model for some time and also remains uninstalled. It ain't broke...

There's nothing on my Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi. When i received Android 5.0 notification, i didn't install it for obvious reasons. Yours is 5.0.1 so it must be a newer update. It might be the fix to all the problems. Does it definetely say 5.0.1??

I have to say if it was me i would be very tempted, but i can understand why you're reluctant to push ahead with the update.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android 5.0.1

No mention of the problem concerning slow performance on the 2012 Nexus 7 - indeed, this only appears to be for the Nexus 7 (2013) wi fi, Nexus 9 and Nexus 10. Maybe they've given up on the 2012.
  • MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Updated my Nexus 4 to Android 5 a couple of weeks ago. No major issues yet, some apps stopped performing though, just a case of waiting for updates I guess. wifi has seemed to be functioning OK so far, still evaluating battery performance though! Overall quite happy with the update so far! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt 5.0 has been pulled for N4 2012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just received a notification to download Android 5.0.1 on my Nexus 7 (2013) Wi-Fi. I'm very tempted but not going to just yet.

Going to wait a few days and read online about other users experience with 5.0.1 before i do anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we're onto 5.0.1, I never got 5.0 yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we're onto 5.0.1, I never got 5.0 yet.

Nor me.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    There's nothing on my Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi. When i received Android 5.0 notification, i didn't install it for obvious reasons. Yours is 5.0.1 so it must be a newer update. It might be the fix to all the problems. Does it definetely say 5.0.1??
    No, 5.0.1 isn't a fix to wifi issues.

I downloaded 5.0.1 last week (didn't get offered 5.0), on my Nexus 7 (2013), around the same time we got an upgraded router. I've had apps crash, warnings of a slow connection, and wifi dropping regularly, and all this time I've been blaming the new router. I had no idea there were widespread wifi issues on Nexus devices running android lollipop until I googled it this evening, when it suddenly dawned on me that none of our other devices were having issues, so it couldn't have been the router. Duh LOL.

I came across a website with an alleged workaround to "forget network" and then re-enter wifi password, which I've just done, so will see if that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I downloaded 5.0.1 last week (didn't get offered 5.0), on my Nexus 7 (2013), around the same time we got an upgraded router. I've had apps crash, warnings of a slow connection, and wifi dropping regularly, and all this time I've been blaming the new router. I had no idea there were widespread wifi issues on Nexus devices running android lollipop until I googled it this evening, when it suddenly dawned on me that none of our other devices were having issues, so it couldn't have been the router. Duh LOL.

I came across a website with an alleged workaround to "forget network" and then re-enter wifi password, which I've just done, so will see if that helps.

Based on your experience it looks like i made the right choice by not installing 5.0.1 just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did it ?
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    My 2013 n7 is basically now a brick following the update
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    My 2013 n7 is basically now a brick following the update

What I can't understand is why they are continuing the rollout. They must know about the problems being caused.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    What I can't understand is why they are continuing the rollout. They must know about the problems being caused.

There are numerous messages on their facebook page and not a single response or acknowledgment.

Its infuriating.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I turned on my Nexus 7 (2013) and whilst surfing, found that it had downloaded the 5.0.1 update and asked me whether I wanted to install it?
    Of course this won't happen anytime soon, unless I accidentally press the tick button by mistake. The trouble is I can't rid the notification screen of theisnag message.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    There are numerous messages on their facebook page and not a single response or acknowledgment.

Its infuriating.

They don't want to admit there is a fault that's why. Motorola are doing a similar stunt with the Moto G 2014 which has RAM issues, won't admit the problem. Say what you like about Apple but when they screwed up iOS 8.0.1 the update was pulled within minutes and they admitted the issue, the problem was resolved within 2 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Android 5.0.1 has just appeared on my 2013 Nexus7. In view of the comments here, I'm very reluctant to install it. The earlier version (5.0) has been sitting on my wife's 2012 model for some time and also remains uninstalled. It ain't broke...

Just appeared on mine as well, but not installing it.
    Forum Member

Don't blame you.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I have been using Lolipop on my Nexus 7 2013 for over a week now and not had any problems whatsoever, maybe its best to do a clean install I unlocked the bootloader and did a fresh install with the factory image. As for anybody that says their tablet is unusable the great thing with the Nexus devices is that the factory images are available so you can go back to a fresh installation of Kit-Kat. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
  • zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wary on updating as well, but 5.0 has been running ok on my 4 for a couple of weeks, so when 5.01 was offered on my 7 (2013) I downloaded it, and am having no problems. ( haven't noticed any improvment in battery life yet)
    I was never offered 5.0 on either of my 7's (2012 & 2013) so maybe they know there are issues.

p.s. a free download of Gravity was added to my library a few days ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's disappeared :confused:

Now reverted back to the usual "Your system is up to date".

No changes made.
    Forum Member
    It's disappeared :confused:

Now reverted back to the usual "Your system is up to date".

No changes made.
    Wow, same here. Great now any temptation has gone at least for the time being. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here. After 3 days informing me that 5.0.1 was available to download the notification has now disappeared.

Makes me wonder if there's a timelimit on how long you get to download the update?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Wow, same here. Great now any temptation has gone at least for the time being. :D
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Same here. After 3 days informing me that 5.0.1 was available to download the notification has now disappeared.

Makes me wonder if there's a timelimit on how long you get to download the update?

Yep, not devastated tbh. At least it can't be installed accidentally, or temptation overcoming now.

(I didn't even get 3 days, just 24 hours or so)
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it ?
    It started playing up again yesterday (albeit not as bad as before), so no. I had a couple of days trouble-free though.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it available for 9 days - now gone. Looks like it's been quietly pulled.