Bedroom tax. Is there any hope now?

Mister RichardMister Richard Posts: 2,871
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am posting on behalf of all the people who through no fault of their own, became 'ambushed' by this hideous policy. When the result of the election became clear, I was nearly physically sick. Knowing that there may never be any hope again (at least for 5 years). It seems that even some tory mps are not in favour of this policy. Link here; http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/second-tory-mp-attacks-bedroom-5862457
Even the thickest skinned conservatives and their supporters must surely agree now that this policy isn't working? What do you do when something isn't working? You change it right? It was never a policy to get under occupiers to release their homes to bigger families, it was all about money, and it didn't rake in what they expected it to. It's backfired, and it's only money that the tories understand. They don't understand the heartbreak and suffering at all. I sincerely hope I will get some positive posts back from this. If you just want to sneer at my post don't bother. I've had enough of that crap already.

Comments

• PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, it is not a tax.

Anyway, the law if nearly perfect it just needs to take into account having a home to move in, before people get less subsidy for their housing benefit.
  • Mister RichardMister Richard Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm sorry Al, I did post it as bedroom tax, but only for the purpose of its common name. We all know it's not a tax don't we? (yawn). You know damn well what this is, and it's causing misery. How the hell can you defend it? I was hoping for at least a positive post to begin with. You have clearly not been affected by this, and neither have your immediate family. Spare a thought for those who have though eh? Have you got that in you? Could be you one day.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Anyway, the law if nearly perfect it just needs to take into account having a home to move in, before people get less subsidy for their housing benefit.

Well i would not say nearly perfect, as between the government and the courts some of it is a right mess and is having to be sorted out by the supreme court next year unless the government changes things this year. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDQQFjACahUKEwjlpuG9w4rGAhVRBNsKHf_HAJ0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.leighday.co.uk%2FNews%2F2015%2FApril-2015%2FBedroom-Tax-legal-battle-to-go-to-Supreme-Court-in&ei=SgJ7VeXZKtGI7Ab_j4PoCQ&usg=AFQjCNHhp3kSPKQ-_XYsy1ptii1Sjw1gHA&sig2=_SJi78dtm_IfO18baSZbuA&bvm=bv.95515949,d.ZGU&cad=rja
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I agree Tim, the whole policy must me costing more than it originally seeked out to save. It is nonsense. I just can't see for the life of me, why they just can't admit they were wrong and things are not working. Even a 12 year old kid can do that. Tories are so stubborn to the point it's unreal.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm sorry Al, I did post it as bedroom tax, but only for the purpose of its common name. We all know it's not a tax don't we? (yawn). You know damn well what this is, and it's causing misery. How the hell can you defend it? I was hoping for at least a positive post to begin with. You have clearly not been affected by this, and neither have your immediate family. Spare a thought for those who have though eh? Have you got that in you? Could be you one day.

This post positively oozes "sneer" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This post positively oozes "sneer" :D

So have you got anything positive to say Mr Falcon?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So have you got anything positive to say Mr Falcon?

You're very entertaining. :)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Correct
    Agreed

It's not a tax. A tax is something which you are obliged to pay.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Correct
    Agreed

For having another bedroom if you get HB.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Spare a thought for those who have though eh? Have you got that in you? Could be you one day.
    I shall spare a thought for them when they spare a thought for people like me who have never received a penny in benefits in their entire life an scrimped and saved to buy their own home and would dearly have loved an extra bedroom for storage, etc, but couldn't afford one.

I get really sick and tired of all the bleating I read about this so-called bedroom tax. Some people need to get real and remember that they are just renting a home and they are only in that home because they are receiving benefits. Nobody gives a toss if you brought up ten generations of your family in that home or whether you have fitted decking and a new kitchen. That was your choice. Larger families need bigger homes and you have spare rooms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Correct
    Agreed

Same old boring tory rhetoric. I should know really from past experience, there are so many boring tories on here not listening to a word. I think the mentality has to be questioned here, as it is everyday people who really are suffering because of this government. There must be something wrong with your mindset if you think it's fine for the disabled or poor to suffer. It's 2015 isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    It is laughable for the government to say the "Bedroom Tax"/"RSRS" is about "fairness" as it is anything but. If it were about fairness then it would not apply to all those people who cannot downsize due to the huge shortage of smaller properties, it would not apply to couples who need to sleep in separate bedrooms due to a serious illness or disability and the same rules would apply to a healthy 70 year old as to a healthy 40 year old. I have always been a homeowner so have never claimed Housing Benefit but it is clear that this shoddy policy is in need of major changes before it can be considered fit for purpose. As to will anything change following the words of these Tory MP's? Sadly, not a chance imo.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

A 'subsidy' that didn't exist.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "social mobility"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I shall spare a thought for them when they spare a thought for people like me who have never received a penny in benefits in their entire life an scrimped and saved to buy their own home and would dearly have loved an extra bedroom for storage, etc, but couldn't afford one.

I get really sick and tired of all the bleating I read about this so-called bedroom tax. Some people need to get real and remember that they are just renting a home and they are only in that home because they are receiving benefits. Nobody gives a toss if you brought up ten generations of your family in that home or whether you have fitted decking and a new kitchen. That was your choice. Larger families need bigger homes and you have spare rooms.
    I'm afraid you have got that completely wrong. Can you see that it is a matter of circumstances? I worked hard all my life and payed taxes. I'm not one of these 'benefit street' guys that gets portrayed on tele. I lived in a semi detached as a carer for my mother. She died and I got landed with a spare room fine for the privilage. Think before you post!
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the hope for those families languishing on the housing lists because some single person refuses to move out of a four bedroom house and into something more appropriate for their needs?
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    For having another bedroom if you get HB.

But only if you are of working age and get HB, over working age and on HB your in the clear.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife keeps nagging me to get an extension built, does anyone have a phone number I can ring so the state will come and build me one for free ?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea in principle is ok, but the implementation is awful. It should only apply to those that don't need a spare room and are offered a smaller property in the area, but refuse to move.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB how do you make that out I've lived in the same rented house for over 40 years and have never claimed benefits.
  • AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member

Completely agree. The family who have just lost their young son and now have a 'spare' bedroom should stop grieving, think of you, and pay their fine/tax whatever you want to call it. Who gives a toss about them, right?
    Forum Member
    BIB how do you make that out I've lived in the same rented house for over 40 years and have never claimed benefits.
    Are you afffected by the bedroom tax?
    Forum Member
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    My wife keeps nagging me to get an extension built, does anyone have a phone number I can ring so the state will come and build me one for free ?

Same old nonsense as, the councils and HA have already said and proved there is not enough right size housing in the uk. But what the policy has proved is that is was a lie about freeing up homes for people living in overcrowded homes.
    Forum Member
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    Completely agree. The family who have just lost their young son and now have a 'spare' bedroom should stop grieving, think of you, and pay their fine/tax whatever you want to call it. Who gives a toss about them, right?
    I love these grieving family scenarios that the bedroom tax protesters keep coming up with.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Its people who have no house at all because spare rooms are being wasted that I have sympathy for