Options

Are ED backtracking with the Laurel/Marlon coupling?

puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think they realised their mistake and how boring they are and that that are making it so that Laurel and Ashley get back together? Hope not I really like Harriet and Ashley. But Marlon/Laurel affair/relationship never made sense.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. There was no mistake. Everything is planned long in advance.
    Laurel and Ashley, as a couple, are over.
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree, Ashley and Laurel are dead in the water.
  • Options
    Crooked HeartCrooked Heart Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurel has certainly become calmer now Ash is back home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

How can you be so certain?
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's planned that far. They've changed Ep since they got together haha
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Wyezed wrote: »

I highly doubt Laurel and Marlon's whole relationship beginning to present day was planned when they first got together in 2012.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurel has certainly become calmer now Ash is back home.

That's what worries me...I hope they don't become dependent on each other, especially now he is so worried about his seizures. Ashley has become so much more interesting with his coupling with Harriet - was happy they finally got together.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't surprise me if they are backtracking. Harriet seems to have become more shifty and sly lately, not the nice fun character she was when she arrived. Laurel seems to be slowly reverting to pre-Marlon Laurel too when she was more likable. The Marlon/Laurel thing should never have been on the storyboard to start with. Dreadful pairing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking the same thing OP. I hope they are not trying to force a Laurel and Ashley reunion but it is funny how Ashley is supposedly the only person who can save Laurel now. Some of us are not so convinced having spent the last few years being forced to endure the cringe-worthy Marlon and Laurel scenes.
    I wonder if there is a reason why the scriptwriters have got Laurel living with Ashley and helping him cope with his epilepsy, while Harriet grows increasingly jealous of their relationship...
  • Options
    Rocky789Rocky789 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I hope not as I really like Ashley and Harriet together and we wait for so long for them to get together. However I don't want Laurel to get back together with Marlon because that was just awful. I think Laurel should be on her own for a while. I really hope there isn't a Laurel/Ashley/Harriet love triangle.
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's only natural that given their past relationship and recent events, their 'relationship' to each other- whatever form that may take- will be focused upon.

It would be unnatural and unreflective of real life if laurel showed no concern for Ashley and vice versa, especially as they had overcome the animosity that surrounded their break up.
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back bad Laurel who duffs up Marlon... The actress showed her true skills back then.

Maybe its her turn to get a notch on Adams head board.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are backtracking on Laurel and Marlon, given that it's now reached the point where if you tuned in you wouldn't even realise they're supposed to be married. That may mean an Ashley/Laurel reunion but I'm not sure I want that for the reasons stated above: It would be an injustice if Harriet's character gets thrown under a bus to salvage Laurel.

Inside Soap, who have been a bit schizophrenic over whether they approve of Maurel, printed a very oddly timed joint Mark Charnock/Charlotte Bellamy interview about the alcoholism storyline, printed at the exact moment that Marlon seemed to stop having anything to do with it, and their replies seemed very diplomatic: When asked if they were glad to be doing the storyline with each other, it was telling that while Charlotte didn't say no, she didn't say yes either, and reading between the signs I suspected she was thinking "Well, actually I'm glad to be working with John Middleton again. I liked working with him."
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Is Ashley on medication for his epilepsy?
    If not, why ?
    My neighbour suffers with epilepsy and he has to take medication to help stop the attacks. It seems to be working for him.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not backtracking as such, but realising that Maurel is a dud and should be erased. I don't want to see her back with Ash, he's good with Miss Marple so keep them together. Laurel needs to be alone until she's learned to cope with her alcoholism and rebuilt her relationship with her kids.

Marlon will hopefully be a victim of the summer stunt. No more women should be forced to endure his shouty voice and windmill arms. Detest Marlon, can't bear the man.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want Ashley back with Laurel. Laurel treated him too badly towards the end. I suspect Harriet is leaving though - I reckon she'll get caught up in the Aaron, RobertChrissieCain fallout>:(
  • Options
    jboy2k8jboy2k8 Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they keep Harriet with Ashley. Laurel and Ashley got boring in the end.
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Is Ashley on medication for his epilepsy?
    If not, why ?
    My neighbour suffers with epilepsy and he has to take medication to help stop the attacks. It seems to be working for him.

He is, I think it's been referred to a number of times by people. I seem to remember Laurel saying something along the lines of it'll be alright when the medication starts kicking in properly.

I don't think they're backtracking with the story, if they were planning on doing that I think they would have done it before marrying them off. There was a scene just before Laurel and Marlon's wedding where she had a few too many and was speaking to Ashley about not being sure if she was doing the right thing. If they wanted to backtrack, that would have been the perfect time. They've developed upon that now and brought the alcohol story to the fore which has given a natural reason for character relationships to break down (Marlon) and rebuild (Ashley). I think it's interesting how when Laurel got into her original affair with Marlon, it seemed to become her and Marlon vs. the village for a time and now it's completely flipped on it's head. I think naturally taking her back to Ashley has potentially salvaged the entire thing.

I'm also interested to see this current side of Harriet. Though it seems to have come out of the blue, Harriet had left the police when she arrived in the village and was pursuing a career as a Vicar so we were seeing a softer side to her personality. As a result, we never really got to see the cop side of her until now. It's nice we're seeing a few extra layers to her.

I do hope they don't go down the route of reuniting Laurel and Ashley though. I'd like to see Harriet and Ashley's relationship explored a bit more and though I'd like them to become close again, I think there's too much water under the bridge for them to reunite. I'd like to see Laurel attempt to rebuild her life and realise she doesn't need Marlon either.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like he character of Hariet as as a joke vicaress, and I don't like her as a joke private eye.; so I think it would be no loss to the show if she left. Ashley and Laurel together again? I think Laurel is hoping, but I don't think Ashley is interested in her anymore, except as a parishioner who needs his help. I would like to see another wife for Ashley, somebody who is 'vicar's wife' material.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They aren't backtracking, Laurel still cares about Ashley, quite understandable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like he character of Hariet as as a joke vicaress, and I don't like her as a joke private eye.; so I think it would be no loss to the show if she left. Ashley and Laurel together again? I think Laurel is hoping, but I don't think Ashley is interested in her anymore, except as a parishioner who needs his help. I would like to see another wife for Ashley, somebody who is 'vicar's wife' material.

BIB: Charity?:blush:
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be backtracking on Laurel the lush so why not Maurel? Laurel, who was so desperate for drink she was breaking into places, stealing the communion wine, begging everyone in the pub for money and having sex with strangers to get hold of some, is suddenly sober as a judge, not in the slightest bit bothered about the booze and is giving a first aid training manual performance in dealing with fits.

NO she shouldn't be put back with Ashley, he's far too good for that hypocritical, sanctimonious, dog murdering sozzled shrew. They put her with Marlon, let her suffer him for the rest of her life, and leave Ashley with Harriet, so Laurel can be reminded daily of just what she threw away>:(.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Maybe not backtracking as such, but realising that Maurel is a dud and should be erased. I don't want to see her back with Ash, he's good with Miss Marple so keep them together. Laurel needs to be alone until she's learned to cope with her alcoholism and rebuilt her relationship with her kids.

Marlon will hopefully be a victim of the summer stunt. No more women should be forced to endure his shouty voice and windmill arms. Detest Marlon, can't bear the man.
    Sadly I doubt that will ever happen. The annoying git has been surviving catastrophies fot nearly twenty years>:(
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so.

They were a much better couple than Maurel.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB: Charity?:blush:
    :D:D:D