Favourite supermarket Indian ready meals and naan bread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What's your's?

M & S are so good!

The portions aren't as big as the Sainsbury's and ASDA meals i've had but the meals and naan bread are so much better.

The naans are rubbish from Sainsbury's and Asda and nothing like the ones from M & S, which are like the freshly made ones I get from local takeaway's.

It's like comparing a cheap sliced bread to a freshly baked loaf.

And the curries blow away the other's I've tried as well.

they are so nice I'd happily eat M & S Indian grub instead of a takeaway, tbh.

I've just eaten butter chicken and a garlic naan, chucked in the microwave and oven and it was almost as good as the local takeaways and restaurants.

Comments

• SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Saisburys love it

i love the big pack asda hve
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Asda meal deal £3 ones are very good, had the chicken and beef Madras and the sauces are just as good as our local takeaway. Well worth £3.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The best naan I've ever had was one made by "Meah's" (who make very good curry sauce apparently) - tasted very like a takeaway naan :) Superb.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I love making my own curries, and am wary of the quality of the ingredients used, so I don't eat Indian ready-meals, but I do love Waitrose's tandoor-baked naans.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've never had a naan or flatbread from a supermarket that has come close to a freshly made one.

The best is probably morrisons flatbreads.

I would rather make my own fresh even if it's from pre-made dough. Just cooking it fresh will be a good inbetweener.

I have a cast iron pan and a combi oven grill so I can get good charring on flat breads - obviously still a world a way from a nice tandoori one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I find the Loyd Grossman sauces to be better than a lot of the ones in ready meals. We get some chicken breast, fry it up, add the sauce and bung in a couple of packs of microwave basmati.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather pay a few quid extra and get a proper Indian meal from our local. I realize not everyone has access to a decent Curry shop though.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Morrisons Jalfrezi when it was half price at £1.75 (ok), but I tend to stick to sauces and chicken.
    Usually Patak's, unless there are better ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like any of them to be honest. I used to like Sainsbury's pilau rice in big tubs but I haven't seen them for a long, long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Morrisons Jalfrezi when it was half price at £1.75 (ok), but I tend to stick to sauces and chicken.
    Usually Patak's, unless there are better ?

Patak's microwave pilau rice is spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've never had a naan or flatbread from a supermarket that has come close to a freshly made one.

The best is probably morrisons flatbreads.

Same here with the naan breads, tried nearly all supermarket brands and they have all been very average to say the least. Never thought about the flatbreads before to be honest, might give them a go.
    Those Asda £3 efforts i mentioned above are deffo worth a try.
    Forum Member
    Agreed, no supermarket naan I've ever had has come close to a restaurant one done in a tandoor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I have yet to find a decent supermarket curry. I mean as a decent meal in its own right, not compared to take away etc. They are too oily and chock full of things like curry powder, salt and colouring. The only half decent thing I've found is waitroses' tharka daal, which is pretty decent, although a little on the mild side. As for naan, they are all revolting, most of them resemble more of a doughy pizza base, rather than something that's been cooked in a tandoor. I avoid them at all costs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I'd rather pay a few quid extra and get a proper Indian meal from our local. I realize not everyone has access to a decent Curry shop though.

I've yet to find a takeaway in the local area that can beat the supermarkets for main dishes, it's so disappointing they are all greasy muck. The takeaways definitely have the superior naans, but it's just not enough to make me order from them (plus most in our area show as having failed their health inspection on the FSA site - bolk).

Sainsbury's meals are my fav, I find Asda's to be a bit hit and miss (though when they're good I do really enjoy them) and I've started just getting pitta bread instead.
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waitrose, or Sainsburys. I like both but Waitrose are slightly better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Agreed, no supermarket naan I've ever had has come close to a restaurant one done in a tandoor.

I thought this until I had the M&S ones which are cooked in a tandoor, I'm sure.

They are no different to eating a cold take away naan and I live in the curry capital of the UK. :p

Sainsburys naan's are nothing like M&S ones, they are shit, and aren't even naan bread really are they. They are like some type of shit pizza dough like another poster said.
    Forum Member
    OK I'll think I'll give the M&S ones a try but I always remember takeaway ones being puffed up :)
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Tesco Tikka Masala
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    OK I'll think I'll give the M&S ones a try but I always remember takeaway ones being puffed up :)

They are chewy, cripsy, and have proper blistering like a tandoor naan.

Sainsburys are like stodgy bread and f all like a proper naan bread. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    M&S for me too, my personal faves are lamb rogan josh (usually not there when I fancy it!) chicken piri piri and the chick vindaloo.
    Preferably with a garlic naan, as the seeds on the tandoori naan are overkill!
    Sainsburys veg masala is nice, but that's their best for me...
    And if I got a bit more cash - then I'm down at my local takeaway :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chicken breast in my M & S butter chicken was the most tender chicken I've ever eaten.

I'm going to get two again the weekend and two garlic naans, and scoff the lot in one go. Mmmm..
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    PJ2 wrote: »
    They are chewy, cripsy, and have proper blistering like a tandoor naan.

Sainsburys are like stodgy bread and f all like a proper naan bread. :(

The Waitrose ones are like that too - really nice. They're actually baked in the tandoor, or so they claim.
  • Flying4XFlying4X Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    We buy our naan from Aldi in bulk and store in the freezer, taste as good as any at twice or three times the price.

Best supermarket curry in my view are from the Co-op. Currently 2 x Tikka Masala for £5.00 and easily as nice as a Waitrose one but with much more chicken.

They also do Jalfrezi and Korma.
  • Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I really enjoy Waitrose curries - all the ones I have tried have been great :)
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I like the Tesco Tikka Masala

The one currently being sold half price for £1.75? that is DIVINE.