Options

''What strengths can you bring to this role'' job application question

inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all

I'm sure most of you have seen this question or something similar on job applications. But I'm not sure what to put because to be honest, I have no talents to speak of.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has talents. Just think about what you are good at and apply it to the job description.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has talents and skills. It's simply a matter of recognising what those are and feeling comfortable enough to use them in your job.

For example, when at home or anywhere in your personal life, what can you do that no one else can? Are you the sort that regularly organises a get-together for friends? Add organisational skill, detail-oriented or similar if yes.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Everyone has talents and skills. It's simply a matter of recognising what those are and feeling comfortable enough to use them in your job.

For example, when at home or anywhere in your personal life, what can you do that no one else can? Are you the sort that regularly organises a get-together for friends? Add organisational skill, detail-oriented or similar if yes.
    Nothing
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all

I'm sure most of you have seen this question or something similar on job applications. But I'm not sure what to put because to be honest, I have no talents to speak of.
    'Strength' doesn't necessarily mean 'talent'. Being a good organiser, able to prioritise quickly, able to communicate clearly and always being punctual are all strengths that could be vital in certain jobs, whilst not really talents. In many ways it's an easy question to answer, because strengths, in the interview context, are usually 'soft skills', i.e. things that you can't really demonstrate; you just need to be able to describe how you've got them. As long as you can come up with credible, plausible examples, you can say anything. It doesn't matter if you believe it, as long as the recruiter does.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Its difficult to answer without knowing what the specific role your applying for is.

In general its good to point out your strong experience of doing the role, or your keeness to start doing it, or your how your personality makes you the natural fit for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is your chance to sell yourself to the interviewer. What skills do you have, perhaps ones not listed in the requirements, that can be applied to the job? For example, if you're going for a programmer role, you could put "good problem solver" (you'd encounter problems daily so you'd be a good asset for the team) or for admin "good time management" (would show that you're a good organizer), that sort of thing.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing

In that case, put down 'efficient team player'.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Here's a few of mine.

Very good at looking busy.
    Always leaves promptly at home time.
    Good at donning an 'overworked' expression when passing the managers office.
    High level of work related noises created (paper shredding etc)

Well they help me get this job.
    Always refuses tea or coffee (waaay to busy to drink - l leave that to the slackers)
  • Options
    Sea_saltSea_salt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Hi all

Honesty is a strength. In most jobs anyway.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm the world's best clock-watcher"?

"Excellent at looking like I'm working when I'm actually arsing around".
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    For example, when at home or anywhere in your personal life, what can you do that no one else can?
    Nothing
    Simple. Say you're perfect for a role in middle-management.
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent at switching screens from Digital Spy to a boring spreadsheet whenever someone walks by.
    Proficient in telling the time due to constant clock watching.
    The ability to look interested when colleages are discussing boring topics while internally screaming GET ME OUT OF HERE.
    Good time keeping when it comes to home time.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was top shiny floor skater in teh "special" Olympics and I'm really looking forward to trying your floor waxing machine
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any employer is looking for someone who, by performing the duties of a job, is not taken out of their comfort zone. If the job is within a retail environment, for example, being even slightly agoraphobic would be a definite negative. To work in customer service, one needs to be good with people, approachable and treat the customer with respect. One generic quality is the inability to remain idle; if you don't have anything to do, find something. Cover all bases by telling the interviewer that you enjoy working as part of a team whilst, simultaneously, working alone and using your own initiative is no problem to you. Do not give the impression that you believe doing anything is beneath you. They are looking for an employee who muck in, and do whatever is necessary.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This works for me.

I am Dyslexic.
    I have a dig bick. You that read wrong. You read this wrong too.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    This works for me.

I am Dyslexic.
    I have a dig bick. You that read wrong. You read this wrong too.

I read your post yesterday; only this afternoon have I clicked - doh!
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to be good at anything or have talents, you just have to tell them that you do.

Essentially at a job interview you just have to tell them what they want to hear. Figure out what they want and what the job needs and tell them that.

My last two job interviews I've figured out what they want, gone in with a bank of things that I want to say and then used those to answer the questions. Both times I've got the job and I've been told how great my interview was.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just lie and fill your application form in with a load of twaddle just like everybody else does.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just lie and fill your application form in with a load of twaddle just like everybody else does.
    now now, remember Twitchycurtains, there are no right or wrong answers in this questionnaire ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing

:D made me chuckle :D don't be so hard on yourself.

how far do you live from the company? one strength could be, you are local, can walk to work, transport no problem. Hence you will always be there whatever the weather.

good luck. ;-)