Options

The New Theme Tune And Titles

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Title sequence - I really like it, it really makes a change from everything that's gone past.

Music on the other hand - doesn't work for me, the original NuWho (Ecclestone/Tennant) was the best of NuWho so far, this sounds too produced to me.

Having said that, I was watching an earlier series a while back with my young son (7) & then we watched some classic who - & inspite of the wobbly sets, & zips showing on the monsters etc, he was more scared of old who & I realised why - it was the accompanying music & sound effects, far more creepy than anything in NuWho. (the only NuWho monsters he's said are a bit scary were the Silents & maybe the Weeping Angels. On the other hand, Cybermen in black & white with cloth over their faces ala Patrick Troughton really creeped him out)

They really need to go back to the old sound effects they used to use if they want to scare the bejesus out of kids again.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I actually think the Day of the Doctor Closing Credits theme surpassed the 2008-2010 one. Pity it was only used once:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrspJIzYpc

It has a nice mix of orchestra and synthesised music. And I really like the warbly-whistly noises at the start which are from the 1967-1979 theme tune. :)
    Do watch this with the subtitles switched on!
    :D
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Gold arranged the theme with Blair Mowat.

Is he a Blue Peter competition winner?
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Is there somewhere we can complain to ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about a poll.
    Something like.

Love titles love music
    Love titles hate music
    Hate titles hate music
    Hate titles love music
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Do watch this with the subtitles switched on!

That was hilarious! :D:D
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new theme 'tune' is woeful - I'm loathe to even call it a tune as it just sounded like a mismatch of screeches to me, all disguising the few semblances of the old theme tunes that remain. It's horrendous.

The titles don't bother me as much, but I didn't think they were anything special.
  • Options
    dozydragondozydragon Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Just because you have a whole orchestra at your disposal,does not mean that you have to use every instrument.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I thought the new theme was ok-ish, but moving away from an orchestral score towards a more electronic one just feels less "epic" - plus bad memories of the 1980's theme tunes.

Also, I don't need to be beaten over the head with clockwork and clock faces to let me know that I'm watching a show with time travel in it - subtle, it isn't.

I do prefer it to the last version though.
  • Options
    snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I am of the opinion that the new titles look and sound extremely amateurish. Seen far better on Youtube.

The idea of the cogs, watch parts etc is a good one, but it's been done so badly. It looks like something that's been whipped up in a few seconds.
    Personally, I don't know why they didn't keep the titles and music from series four. That's when they were at their best.

Trouble is they will keep on messing about with the titles. Look how many times they were tweaked and changed in Matt Smiths era. They were never there long enough to get used to them.
    Some people at Doctor Who need to learn the golden rule, 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'. I include Moffat in that rule, as he is a past master at fiddling with things that don't need messing with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loved the first episode, has to be my favourite since TEOT. However, the new theme tune is absolutely horrendous. It sounds like someone attempted the theme on a kazoo. In my opinion there hasn't been a good theme since Jan 2010. The 2008-2010 theme built up excitement with its thumping sound however the new one just seems like a parody of its former self.

The titles aren't too bad however the Tardis looks almost cartoon like and I really dislike the time vortex, for some reason they are focusing the TIME vortex on space with all the planets floating around.

As I said I loved the episode and Capaldi could just debunk 9 as my 2nd favourite Doctor. However the titles and theme are one of the first things viewers are met with and they seem a bit cheap and tacky. I prefer Neon Visuals titles if I'm honest.

text removed
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It lacks the big fanfare at the start which some people don't like, it has a strong base line, some orchestrated elements, some synthesised elements and most importantly it isn't lacking the "Middle 8" part of the theme (starts 32 seconds in)

We'll likely never hear the 'Middle 8' in the (non-special) TV show again short of two things happening:

1 ) The BBC reverse their closing credits length policy

2 ) The next time trailers go back to using the theme
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Or they play it a bit faster!
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are terrible. Who gave the green light to go ahead with these?
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    We'll likely never hear the 'Middle 8' in the (non-special) TV show again short of two things happening:

1 ) The BBC reverse their closing credits length policy

2 ) The next time trailers go back to using the theme

3) continuity announcers stop their incessant talking about the next programme that's going to start in 2 minutes time
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think the Day of the Doctor Closing Credits theme surpassed the 2008-2010 one. Pity it was only used once:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrspJIzYpc

It has a nice mix of orchestra and synthesised music. And I really like the warbly-whistly noises at the start which are from the 1967-1979 theme tune. :)

That closing credits theme sounds to me like a remix of the 2008-10 one, with more sound effects thrown in and an emphasis on the main wailing melody.