Options

Is bitter on the decline?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Indeed. Some fantastic American beers, especially from new England where there are microbreweries springing up all of the place.

Over here, I've seen more British breweries introduce American style pale ales to their range.
    I tried the three US ales that Wetherspoons are currently promoting. I found all three disgusting and didn't finish any.
    The best thing about them was the fancy glass they came in.

Not that i'm saying there aren't any good ones out there.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    The time I was talking about was the late 60s, things have changed a bit since then. :D

Last time I went to the Strawberry Gardens it was a rough hell-hole, though that is a decade or three back now. :)

Yep, it is an old pub and has certainly been through the wars, but you should certainly give it a go now, it's ace.
    It was next door to derelict not long ago, then the man behind Fuzzy Duck brewery in Poulton bought it bought it and he's made it a very splendid spot indeed. He's got another one in Fleetwood, on Lord St. Can't remember its name now - it's blue. :blush:
    And that used to be a pit, as well.
    He's great, is Mr Fuzzy Duck!
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who on earth did they have tasting them? Even crap like Fosters, Stella and Carlsberg tastes different to me. A while back I was in a pub that just did lager and I bought a pint of Becks for me and a pint of Fosters, they were in identical glasses and when the barmaid told me which was which she got it the wrong way round. My friend and I both noticed.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I tried the three US ales that Wetherspoons are currently promoting. I found all three disgusting and didn't finish any.

Try Sam Adams (the proper American version), Brooklyn Lager, Anchor Steam etc.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I certainly couldn't tell most lagers apart.

They only taste of anything when they get warmer and then they taste very unpleasant.

I did buy a bottle of "craft" real-ale type lager to try a few weeks ago and, surprisingly, it was really nice. Like a very light and hoppy ale. It's a shame the draught lager in pubs is so crap in comparison.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Sam Adams (the proper American version), Brooklyn Lager, Anchor Steam etc.

I also like the various beers from the Harpoon brewery (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/available-now) although I'm not sure who stocks them in the UK
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »

They only taste of anything when they get warmer and then they taste very unpleasant.

I did buy a bottle of "craft" real-ale type lager to try a few weeks ago and, surprisingly, it was really nice. Like a very light and hoppy ale. It's a shame the draught lager in pubs is so crap in comparison.

I have a greedy lager-loving chum. When last orders are called he often gets three pints in front of him, Carling, Carlsberg and Coors Light. He calls it the three pint taste test. I think he has finally decided he likes the Coors best, because it is sweetest, though the test continues.

I was wrongly sent a four-pack of Peroni in my Tesco order a while ago. I made the mistake of trying one when it was just chilled - never had such a foul tasting drink in my life before. :)

Some bottled American beers are very nice indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Who on earth did they have tasting them? Even crap like Fosters, Stella and Carlsberg tastes different to me. A while back I was in a pub that just did lager and I bought a pint of Becks for me and a pint of Fosters, they were in identical glasses and when the barmaid told me which was which she got it the wrong way round. My friend and I both noticed.
    abarthman wrote: »

You'd tell the difference with Becks. I think it's truley awful. For other's it's their favourite lager.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »

Fosters is very generic IMO, whereas Stella and Carlsberg have very distinctive tastes, though not really in a good way as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

I no longer bother with American ales when they're on offer as I've never liked any that I've tried.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fosters is very generic IMO, whereas Stella and Carlsberg have very distinctive tastes, though not really in a good way as far as I'm concerned.
    Fosters is certainly distinctive, being how I would imagine metal polish to taste. I really can't see how there can be any lager that tastes worst than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Fosters is certainly distinctive, being how I would imagine metal polish to taste. I really can't see how there can be any lager that tastes worst than that.
    Lager tend to go on price - obviously personal taste is also involved.

But Fosters and Carling are generic, middle of the road lagers. The better lagers are more expensive and there are cheaper lagers that, given your comment, you would most probably find worse tasting than Fosters.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd tell the difference with Becks. I think it's truley awful. For other's it's their favourite lager.

Becks does kind of divide people, I really like it, I enjoy the Becks Vier too. So much better than the likes of Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg etc and generally the same price. I find Fosters, Carling etc to be just middle of the road and almost flavourless where as Becks has a bit of flavour to it. One of the nicer lagers I've had recently though is an Italian beer called Tipopils, I've only ever seen it in one place though and that's our local Italian restaurant. They've got a large number of imported Sicilian and Italian bottled beers too.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought some hoegaardens the other day. Distinctive flavour, and much nicer than generic lagers, on reflection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bought some hoegaardens the other day. Distinctive flavour, and much nicer than generic lagers, on reflection.

Yes I love Hoegaarden but a bit of a different price point to generic lagers.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a lovely pint of Reverend James (Brains brewery).
    Truly wonderful.
    Best part of the country I've been for an amazing selection of real ales is the Lake District.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best part of the country I've been for an amazing selection of real ales is the Lake District.

Yes, I've had several excellent drinking weekends in the Lakes. And did a bit of walking.

Jennings Snecklifter is the king of the Lakeland beers.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Some fantastic American beers, especially from new England where there are microbreweries springing up all of the place.

Over here, I've seen more British breweries introduce American style pale ales to their range.

And pretty much everyone I have tried has been disgusting and undrinkable. There is nothing wrong with the beer per se, but to me they are awful.

What is annoying, though, is that more and more that style of beer is the only one on offer in many pubs, especially in the summer.

I was in a pub on Monday which sold five Real ales, and every one of them was that style. Fortunately thay had Weston's Old Rosie cider so I drank that instead. I find I'm drinking more and more cider in the summer for that reason.

What is the point of selling five different Real Ales if they are all basically the same?

Hoegaarden is a "white" beer, the Belgian equivalent of a German Wheat Beer. It isn't a lager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont see much mild, brown ale or milk stout (mackeson) nowadays.

I was in a pub in Leeds on Saturday that did a very nice Milk Stout. As you say, something of a rarity these days!
  • Options
    DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I was in a pub in Leeds on Saturday that did a very nice Milk Stout. As you say, something of a rarity these days!

Sadly so... oatmeal stout is lovely too, but that's even harder to find! Samuel Smith's do a superb one.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have an abundance of small micro breweries around here and real ale pubs are on the increase. If anything I'd say it's more popular now than it's ever been. At one time your average bitter drinker would be happy to have one choice of bitter and drink the same drink every time but now there's more demand for a bigger variety of light and dark ales as customers like to sample different flavours.

Every time some local grotty run down boozer shuts down they seem to refurb it into an upmarket real ale pub with about 8 real ales on tap, some of which are local brews. The only issue I have with these places is they tend to favour the real ale drinkers but if like myself and my wife you only drink spirits, these places tend to rip you off for anything that isn't sold on draught.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What absolute rubbish. If I drink lager I will refuse to drink Carling as it's bland tasteless rubbish. Carlsberg and Fosters taste more hoppy and does actually have some flavour but taste a bit weak and watery. Stella has a very strong bitter flavour with a yeasty aftertaste and Coors and Becks Vier are light crisp and sweet. Perroni is crisp but very hoppy and slightly heavy to drink. I prefer bottled lagers like Tyskie, Tsing Tao and Cobra which all have unique differences in flavour.

I can certainly tell the difference between different lagers so whoever did that taste test clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Personally I feel exactly the same about wine but that's because I'm not a won't drinker. That's why these things should be left up to the experts and not random idiots off the street. If you can't tell the difference between Carling and Stella, there must be something wrong with you.

The main factor for beers not having any taste is because they're served far too cold. Cold kills your ability to taste properly. Drinking beer too cold makes anything seem tasteless or indistinguishable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    What absolute rubbish. If I drink lager I will refuse to drink Carling as it's bland tasteless rubbish. Carlsberg and Fosters taste more hoppy and does actually have some flavour but taste a bit weak and watery. Stella has a very strong bitter flavour with a yeasty aftertaste and Coors and Becks Vier are light crisp and sweet. Perroni is crisp but very hoppy and slightly heavy to drink. I prefer bottled lagers like Tyskie, Tsing Tao and Cobra which all have unique differences in flavour.

I can certainly tell the difference between different lagers so whoever did that taste test clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Personally I feel exactly the same about wine but that's because I'm not a won't drinker. That's why these things should be left up to the experts and not random idiots off the street. If you can't tell the difference between Carling and Stella, there must be something wrong with you.

The main factor for beers not having any taste is because they're served far too cold. Cold kills your ability to taste properly. Drinking beer too cold makes anything seem tasteless or indistinguishable.

There was a blind test in one of the papers and other than giving Fosters an inexplicable 7 the results were pretty definitive. Brooklyn Lager came top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

They are so cold because the British publis believe the marketing BS that serving it "ice cold" is supposed to be more "refreshing". As you say, the reality is it renders the product virvually tasteless.

However serving lager so cold seems a uniquely British marketing idea, certainly when I've been to countries such as Croatia, Montenegro, etc, I've never found it served so cold and their climates are considerably warmer than ours in the summer.

Although perhaps our foreign neighbours simply prefer to actually taste what they are drinking. ;)