Forum Member
    Tern wrote: »
    Available from Humax Direct.

Could be a bargain for Christmas.

£240 on Amazon Delivered FREE ? BRAND NEW :D
  • B1gglesB1ggles Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    You're joking, obviously?

I'd want to pay a great deal less than that for a returned/refurbished version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Best deal for me was Richer Sounds, not the cheapest at £245, but their 5 year warrantees are only £25 on this, so well worth having.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    schustdj wrote: »
    Best deal for me was Richer Sounds, not the cheapest at £245, but their 5 year warrantees are only £25 on this, so well worth having.

Note that the RS leaflet has "lowest price guaranteed" so combined with their general price promise should mean you can get benefit of RS as supplier with THE lowest price as well as opportunity to take out their 5yr Supercare (which is refundable if you don't use it from memory).

MKD
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The drawback with the Humax A grade products is that they only offer a 1 year warranty.

I know that there is a debate about whether under EU regulations all retailers have to provide a 2 year warranty, but you may be better off sourcing a product with a definite warranty of 2 years. Some retailers keep prices down by telling you (often in small print) that they are only giving you a 1 year warranty.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I know that there is a debate about whether under EU regulations all retailers have to provide a 2 year warranty.

There's no debate, the EU legislation is quite clear, no where does it mention a 2 year warranty.

The RS warranty is an amazing deal, but it's NOT insurance backed - so you have no protection.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no debate, the EU legislation is quite clear, no where does it mention a 2 year warranty.

I was relying on the case mentioned in This is Money which led on to a EU leaflet with a quote "a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC)". Not being a retailer I have not actually read the legislation.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with many other posters, when you can buy brand new for £249, £229 doesn't look like a good deal for a refurbished box. Personally, if I was in the market for such a product, I wouldn't expect to pay more than £150.
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gunerdoo wrote: »
    £240 on Amazon Delivered FREE ? BRAND NEW :D

Or £247 including delivery and 2 year warranty :D

The 2 year legislation is such a grey area for consumers that it's best just to buy from a retailer honouring it as standard ;)
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with many other posters, when you can buy brand new for £249, £229 doesn't look like a good deal for a refurbished box. Personally, if I was in the market for such a product, I wouldn't expect to pay more than £150.

Yes, I haven't been keeping that close an eye on box prices and when I say this 'bargain' on another site I thought I'd make people here aware of it.

I really shouldn't have bothered. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    The 2 year legislation is such a grey area for consumers that it's best just to buy from a retailer honouring it as standard ;)

Have a look here http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/tips-and-guides/article.html?in_article_id=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id=131
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Price of this at £199 has got to be a rather large stocking filler....and service from John Lewis to boot.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/538965/humax-foxsat-hd-320gb-199-instore-j
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleeper17 wrote: »
    Price of this at £199 has got to be a rather large stocking filler....and service from John Lewis to boot.

Probably worth its own thread as not many people will be looking at this one given the price in the title. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleeper17 wrote: »

Yep, JL have done a price promise from somewhere else and ended up with a retail price far less than the trade value so I suspect Humax will ask them to revise it again very soon, so be quick! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have added, Humax have ran out of stock so expect a shortage this Christmas if you are planning a late purchase ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have added, Humax have ran out of stock so expect a shortage this Christmas if you are planning a late purchase ;)

Oh dear.

Perhaps they didn't realise it was Christmas in just over three weeks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.

Perhaps they didn't realise it was Christmas in just over three weeks?

I just don't think they could meet the demand; large volume orders are the most likely cause; fortunately I was aware of it coming ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    I just don't think they could meet the demand; large volume orders are the most likely cause; fortunately I was aware of it coming ;)

large volume - another 100 sold perhaps:D

could it be because soon there will be a freeview HD recorder as competition?

could it be because people are choosing SkyHD boxes at below £50 (sometimes free)?

or could it be they were over-priced in the 1st place?

Whatever the reason, it is good to see considerable downward movement in the price - long may it continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there isn't really a reduction in price, the trade price remains the same with a few incentives from Humax; but not enough to make a massive difference. The JL price in Liverpool is an absolute balls up and they'll notice before long, plus bare in mind that stock shortages are now a problem (from Humax) so prices (knowing the major retailers) will rise again soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhill wrote: »
    could it be because soon there will be a freeview HD recorder as competition?

Seems there are a few hurdles left to cross for Freeview HD

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a189753/bbc-freeview-hd-copy-plan-still-in-limbo.html

HDR was £300 well spent, even better if you can get it for less.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I haven't been keeping that close an eye on box prices and when I say this 'bargain' on another site I thought I'd make people here aware of it.

I really shouldn't have bothered. :(

I wouldn't say that. You did right bringing it to people's attention. I just don't think its much of a bargain.