Options

In jokes slipped onto TV shows

Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
Forum Member
✭✭
I noticed on Hollyoaks last Tuesday that there was a brief shot right at the start of a newspaper hoarding carrying a headline about a dog called Beauchamp winning a prize.

David Beauchamp was directing the show that day so this was presumably an in joke.

Does anyone know any other examples?

There was an episode of Fringe earlier this year (a series about weird events) where two FBI vans had registration plates shown very briefly in shot that were R 2 D2 and C 3 PO - more or less.

Again obviously an in joke from a Star Wars fan.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grim Reaper in the last episode of Heartbeat ?

Some of the background music in the Vic in EE can be very ''in''

Don't the names of the characters in New Tricks have some connection with a well-known football club because of the original writer's support

Alfred Hitchcock made fleeting appearances in his own films - that was meant to be very ''in''
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin And Stacey: a few characters share surnames with serial killers.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an episode of NCIS where one of the chracters asks what 'Ducky' looked like when he was young, Ducky is played by David McCallum.

Gibbs replies 'Illya Kuryakin'!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heroes did something with George Takei - I think the licence plate of his car was the number of The Enterprise.

Keith Duffy in Corrie made some comment about listening to 'good boybands' when trying to give one of the younger guys tips on romance.

Star Trek:TNG had the number 47 appear somewhere in each episode.

Peter Deluise used to appear in the background of the Stargate episodes that he'd direct.

Samantha Carter used the word 'Macgyver' when talking to Richard Dean Anderson's character about putting a system together.
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Heroes did something with George Takei - I think the licence plate of his car was the number of The Enterprise.

Indeed it was; NCC-1701. I noticed it straight away :o

I remember someone in fringe referencing Oceanic flight 815 from Lost (another JJ Abrahms prog).

I think there was a terrible episode of Diagnosis Murder, where Amanda met Victoria Rowell (who plays Amanda :eek: )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just like that awful plot premise in oceans twelve or thirteen where Julia Roberts character pretended to be Julia Roberts
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just before Ben departed EE for Borstal Phil remarked ''He'll come back a new man'' as indeed he will because they've changed the actor.

There was an episode of EE where Steve McFadden and Ross Kemp referred to each other by their real names but I suspect it wasn't an in joke, no-one spotted it.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supernatural - Chuck's pen name was Carver Edlund - 2 surnames of producer/directors on the show

Also the number plate on The Impala was had 2Y5 on the end which means 2005 when it first aired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (1) In Third Rock from the Sun when Bill Shatner guest starred and was met at the airport by John Lithgow, reference was made to something strange being seen on the wing of the plane - a reference to the fact that both actors had played the same role in different Twilight Zone series (Nightmare at 20,000 feet).

(2) In an episode of NCIS when Jethro was asked what the character Ducky looked like when he was younger, he said Ilya Kuryakin (a character from The Man from Uncle TV series). Both characters were played by the lovely David McCallum.

I love it when they do things like that :)
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) In an episode of Frasier, he was reunited with his first wife who was a children's entertainer, Nanny..something. She made a comment about having to play the same character for 20 years and Frasier said he could imagine how she felt (the Frasier character having been around for nearly this long, Cheers, then Frasier.) Cue knowing laughter from the audience:)
    2) In an episode of Ellen, Ellen was watching televison with friends and one remarked that she hoped the programme did not contain anything shocking. Ellen said they would have put up a warning triangle if that was so (the Ellen show featuring Ellen coming out was shown in the US with such a warning, much to Ellen DeGeneres's annoyance). Cue knowing laughter from the audience.:)
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Hyde Pierce did a guest on The Simpsons as Sideshow Bobs' brother Cecil. At one point Bart jumps on his back and covers his eyes and asks 'guess who' to which Cecil replies' Maris!'
  • Options
    BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever a TV was on in Brookside, it always showed bunny puppets. I'm guessing it must have been an in joke -- the gag ran for 21 years.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sopranos - Christopher Moltisanti shoots a cake shop assistant in the foot ( as he got shot in the foot in Goodfellas) When the cake shop assistant yells in pain about being shot in the foot , Moltisanti says "It happens"
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Shatner singing in episode four of S#8^ My Day Says throws up some in-jokes :D
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most famous in jokes is the Wilhelm Scream that has appeared in hundreds of films, tv shows and even computer games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Balthus wrote: »
    Whenever a TV was on in Brookside, it always showed bunny puppets. I'm guessing it must have been an in joke -- the gag ran for 21 years.

I remember that and it has even been in Hollyoaks (made by the same company) since.

But I read that they did it to save money they would have had to spend by paying rights to actual childrens TV characters....though once they spent money making the Magic Rabbits episodes (as they were called) they had to keep on using them and it became a sort of in joke as you say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some nice ones in this thread,thanks.

Talking of Brookside reminded me that they are perhaps the only soap to recognise others.

They did one episode where the Farnhams went to Manchester for the day and got the autograph of Corrie cast members outside the Granada studios.

And they also had a scene the week of the Emmerdale plane crash where a character was shown reading a newspaper with that story on the front page.

Given that these were ITV shows and Brookside was on channel 4 it was a bit of a mutual respect I guess.

Oh and on an episode of Chicago Hope they went to a convention in La Vegas and you could hear them welcoming the staff of another TV hospital to the event - St Elegius from Boston (as in St Elsewhere).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentioned somewhere on here before but oliver in neighbours singing stefan dennnis' 'don't it make you feel good' in the background of one of paul robinson's scenes :D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Friends, when Joey & Chandler are looking through Richard's apartment. Chandler says something like 'I mean, look at these videos. Who does he think he is? 'Magnum Force', 'Dirty Harry'?'

Richard, of course, was played by Tom Selleck, much more famous as 'Magnum'.

In season 7 Buffy episode, Kennedy gets transported, and upon materialising says 'That was a hell of a thing!', the exact phrase spoken by Tony Shaloub's Fred Kwan in 'Galaxy Quest' when he first gets 'beamed' aboard the NSS Protector.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Don't the names of the characters in New Tricks have some connection with a well-known football club because of the original writer's support

I think the same thing happened with an episode of Casualty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every main character in Roseanne wore a particular T-Shirt at least once during the show's run. It had a drawing of a chicken on it.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them are designed for the crew, not the audience. IIRC, in XFiles, the office filing cabinet had labels for A-H, I-R, Roswell, Roswell, Roswell, S-Z, but they didn't appear in shot long enough for the audience to appreciate them!

K
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a number of in jokes that feature in "The X Files"

Season 1

"The Jersey Devil" - In the autopsy report on "Jane Doe", the name of the coroner is K.H.Hawryliw. Ken Hawryliw is the prop master on the show.

Season 2

"Die Hand Die Verletzt" - The message left by the devilish teacher for Mulder and Scully, 'Good-bye - It's been nice working with you' also served as Morgan and Wong's farewell to the cast and crew, since this was their last episode with the show until they came back for a brief stint in season four.

Season3

"Piper Maru" - The name of the episode is also the name of Gillian Anderson's daughter.
  • Options
    jakob1978jakob1978 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Don't the names of the characters in New Tricks have some connection with a well-known football club because of the original writer's

they do indeed, Jack Halford, Brian Lane and Gerry Standing take their names from West Bromich Albions "Halford Lane Stand".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In an episode of Angel, which involved a person saying a magic phrase to switch bodies with people, part of the inctantation was the word 'kimota', which was the magic word used by Marvel/Miracleman to switch between being Mike Moran and his superhero alter ego.