Options

Scam & cold calls increasing daily

mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
Forum Member
✭✭
I am signed up with telephone preference supposed to stop these type of calls, thank goodness I have a caller display at least it means I can ignore most of them but its getting annoying, it wont take much more for me to consider getting rid of the hard wired telephone service....:mad:

Comments

• Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am signed up with telephone preference supposed to stop these type of calls, thank goodness I have a caller display at least it means I can ignore most of them but its getting annoying, it wont take much more for me to consider getting rid of the hard wired telephone service....:mad:
    Same here, but having an answering machine usually cuts them off in their stride. If they're not scam, then they (should be!) happy to leave details of who they are and who to contact back, and when they are doing that you can always pick the phone up and answer...
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on it too. I had two yesterday. One of them was just after 8am. Ruined my Sunday morning lie in! :D

Some squeaky Scottish girl who yapped on and on until I eventually managed to say that I didn't own my house. Then the line just went dead. I feel sorry for people having to do that horrible job.
  • Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm registered with the TPS and never got bothered but recently have started getting loads including silent calls during the night which are the worse, silent calls are where there are not enough operators so the auto dialler rings you then drops the call.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It got to the point recently where I actually started to feel harassed! No joke! I was getting between 5 to 10 a day, sometimes several from the same number. It was driving me mad, I have an elderly mother who has dementia, I had no choice but to answer the phone as it could have been her carers.

Two things combined seem to have reduced it - not stopped it though. One was swapping to sky on the phone and caller id was included in that, which meant I could ignore it and not pick up and I registered with the tps.

I can still now get three or four calls from the same number only a few minutes apart, even with the above measures.

It's intrusive, annoying and a waste of my time answering, so I sympathise.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW what's with the solar panel calls? Is it a new scam?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buy a True Call www.truecall.co.uk

I have one, and I don't get any unwanted phone calls at all.
    It even plays cold calls a nice message "We do not want your call, do not call back, bye"
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bt phone book has just been delivered. It is starting to resemble a large (but thin) paperback!
    I wonder how many people are keeping their landline only because their provider is unable or unwilling to give them the deal they want for tv + broadband only?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Apparently this was mentioned in the book of Revelations. Jesus will come back soon, to sell us life insurance.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get them from banks nearly evryday
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    If you are with the TPS pull them up on it, I do and they hang up straight away. Ask them where did you get this number as it is TPS and I don't take marketing calls.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get PPI calls every day. You would have thought that most people have claimed by now, what with the newspaper and TV coverage, but still they call.

I occasionally get the people telling me they're from microsoft and have got a report that my PC has a virus. They're easy to string along. The last time I had one of those I told them I had to boot the PC up and then just went outside to lock and cover up my motorbike. 10 minutes later they were still waiting :) I said I'd got side tracked and had made a cup of tea instead so I still had to boot the PC up. Saying that I fancied a cup of tea so I made one. I went back to the phone and I thought they'd gone so I put it on the hook. A minute later it rang again and it was the same person saying they'd been cut off :D I strung them along a bit more but eventually told them the PC was on. Then he asked if I could see the windows key to which I said 'no'. After 3 or 4 minutes of him trying to describe it and tell me where it is I eventually told him I couldn't see it cos the PC was in another room :p Yet he still didn't get the hint. In the end I just came out and said there was no way I was going to give him access to my PC and put the phone down.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went ex-directory and that seemed to stop it
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I went ex-directory and that seemed to stop it

Auto diallers just try every combination of numbers so being ex-dir is no protection against them :(
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wont take much more for me to consider getting rid of the hard wired telephone service....:mad:

I already have.
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively just waste their time by having some fun.

Pretend you're on LSD and talk about rainbows and flowers.
    Pretend you think they are a demon, and ask them all sorts of crazy questions.

They'll soon piss off! :)
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I told a cold caller I wasn't interested and hung up only for the phone to ring a few minutes later this time a woman on the end from the exact same company trying to sell the same thing:confused:

Do they really think that kind of strategy will work?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I told a cold caller I wasn't interested and hung up only for the phone to ring a few minutes later this time a woman on the end from the exact same company trying to sell the same thing:confused:

Do they really think that kind of strategy will work?

Multiple databases can hold you number or she didn't realise and just read the script to you unless you were rude then she might of done it to piss you off.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Same here, but having an answering machine usually cuts them off in their stride.
    An increasing number actually leave voicemail messages; usually the automated PPI scammers.

I just keep the phone volume off now, and let everything go to answer machine. It's all well and good having caller ID and choosing not to answer, but that doesn't stop you getting irritated when the phone wakes you up at 8AM on a Sunday etc.
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sick of the calls but they've dropped off since I told one to back off as they were harassing us.
    The worst was when one company called 6 times in 3 hours as I was waiting for an important call so couldn't unplug it. I don't have the time or patience for such calls and wish cold calling was banned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    ALL scam/cold calls should be banned.I don't see why there are not stronger regulatory measures on place.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I either let the answer machine take the call, if its someone trying to get me eg a friend they leave a message and I either call them back or answer

Other option with most calls is to advise them that the property is a council house/flat if they are trying to flog home improvements
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pressed 5 and have now told them a few times to stop calling my number but its not worked.
    Just as I said to the caller yesterday can you stop calling me on this number they just put the phone down on me :mad:
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buy a True Call www.truecall.co.uk

I have one, and I don't get any unwanted phone calls at all.
    It even plays cold calls a nice message "We do not want your call, do not call back, bye"

thats cool
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is as bad at work. Only at work I have to answer the calls in case it is a customer.... and there they are some dude from a funky "media" company or a recorded PPI message

No matter how many times i tell the funky media dude, my boss is out of the office, he still does not get the message
  • Options
    LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    Alternatively just waste their time by having some fun.

Pretend you're on LSD and talk about rainbows and flowers.
    Pretend you think they are a demon, and ask them all sorts of crazy questions.

They'll soon piss off! :)

Nice one. I'll try that.

Another method is the one I use - speak in another language!