Sir Bruce Retires!

DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
Forum Member
✭✭
Some will mourn, some will celebrate, but all will wish him the best after 11 series, as the BBC have confirmed Brucie will step down from hosting the live shows.

Here's the statement, via Facebook:

"After 10 wonderful years & 11 series, Sir Bruce Forsyth has decided to step down from the rigours of presenting our live shows.
Sir Bruce is one of the great showbiz legends of our time and Strictly's success is due in vast amounts to him. This is not farewell...!"

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise at all..
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Certainly the right decision - and I'd have expected for them to keep him on for appearances here and there. After all, Brucie's become fairly synonymous with the Strictly brand these days that even if he is doddery, it'd be strange not to see him in some capacity.

Now, all we can hope is that they don't announce Anton as his replacement.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Strictly ‏@bbcstrictly 4m
    Sir Bruce will remain on @BBCOne and will present the Children in Need, Christmas and other yet to be announced specials!

So not gone completely from SCD! Wonder what the "other specials" will be?
    BBC Strictly ‏@bbcstrictly 4m
    Sir Bruce is one of the great showbiz legends of our time and our success is due in vast amounts to him. This is not farewell!

I suspect he was 'encouraged' to give up the main show.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I thought sir Bruce would have gone after 10 series- but maybe 10 years has a better ring to it- but I suspect having missed two shows outside of the ones he was scheduled to miss anyway in the last 2 or 3 series, he had to consider his health.

I think it's a two horse race between Anton and Claudia to replace him. I reckon they'll keep the 1 man 1 woman feel, so I'd be inclined to say Anton may have a shout, especially since Erin has since retired from Strictly, but I'm not sure where that would leave Claudia, as I wouldn't think Tess would immediately follow suit.

Obviously, the natural thing to do would be to have Tess and Claudia- but I suspect the BBC have had a contingency plan for quite a while given this has always been coming.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to be in the minority, but I will miss him. He helped establish the show and, despite his shakiness and awful jokes, he's been a joy to watch.

All the best Sir Bruce.:)
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anton's time as the possible heir to Brucie has been and gone. I suspect it'll just be Claudia coming in full-time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    So not gone completely from SCD! Wonder what the "other specials" will be?

I suspect he was 'encouraged' to give up the main show.

I'm pleased he's still doing the specials! I suspect stuff like Sports Relief, or just other charity one offs.

I think it must have been mutual. Peoples careers could swing if they sacked/constructively dismissed Brucie, as much as his performances were deteriorating, he's still a national treasure
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    No surprises from me either. I'll certainly miss his jokes, often hit or miss. :blush:
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now, all we can hope is that they don't announce Anton as his replacement.

It won't be Anton.

be interesting to see whether they go for the tested duo of Tess and Claude or get a new front man [literally].

I'm hoping it will be someone with some gravitas :)
  • BelgoLiftBelgoLift Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Sir Bruce in the earlier series, but the last few have been a bit painful to watch. I personally would like Alexander Armstrong (from Pointless) to be a contender for the job, reminds me of the US DWTS host.
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    A well-earned, but massively over-delayed retirement!!

JJ :D
  • taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to him, though I doubt if this is the end of his career, in fact my money is still on him dying live on stage or TV some day.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's the right decision for Sir Brucie to step down, I just pray no one has told John Barrowman about the vacancy ;-) ;-)
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well gawd knows how they are going to replace him, I've read them all before and not been impressed.

I even don't like the idea of Anton Du Beke, cos I would be surprised if he could handle a two hour LIVE broadcast.

Glad though he is going while he is ahead and not a drooling old fool. Which he is not, but the cracks were starting to show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nosilauk wrote: »
    It won't be Anton.

be interesting to see whether they go for the tested duo of Tess and Claude or get a new front man [literally].

I'm hoping it will be someone with some gravitas :)

I wouldn't be so sure as to it not being Anton- I have a feeling they'll want to keep him in after he leaves the show competitively, since he is about as established as Brucie was- and this is the right time. His professional partner's left, Brucie's gone, and if they get in either Claudia or a new presenter altogether, safe to say they'll be in it for the long haul. Ergo, It's either now, or Anton will step up to be a judge when Len hangs up his paddle!
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly is strong enough to stand without him. I notice he will still do the specials though.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Brucie enjoys his retirement but please don't replace him with Anton !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BelgoLift wrote: »
    I enjoyed Sir Bruce in the earlier series, but the last few have been a bit painful to watch. I personally would like Alexander Armstrong (from Pointless) to be a contender for the job, reminds me of the US DWTS host.

I do so wish we could share Tom Bergeron with Dancing With The Stars, if Len and Bruno can do both... :(
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie was great and obviously loved the show. I will miss him. BUT - I would like to see Claudia fill his shoes now. I love her kooky nature and she works well with Tess. Having said that though, she might not want to do it as I read somewhere that she scaled her work back to spend more time with her family.
  • CheshirecheeseCheshirecheese Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last, I have been waiting for this news for the last few years. My t.v. mute button will be glad of a rest! Wonder if Tess would like to follow him
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne Widdecombe or Andrew Neil as his replacement please.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Graham Norton might get the gig, he's proved he can do these live entertainment shows and he does them well.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well will he have a last dance?
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure as to it not being Anton- I have a feeling they'll want to keep him in after he leaves the show competitively, since he is about as established as Brucie was- and this is the right time. His professional partner's left, Brucie's gone, and if they get in either Claudia or a new presenter altogether, safe to say they'll be in it for the long haul. Ergo, It's either now, or Anton will step up to be a judge when Len hangs up his paddle!

BiB Seriously??? :o
    Brucie was "established" with decades of live entertainment show experience.