Gerry Conlon dies aged 60

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/21/gerry-conlon-guildford-four-dies-belfast-ira

One of four people wrongly convicted of the Guildford pub bombing in 1974 and imprisoned for 15 years for a crime he did not commit has passed away aged 60 after a cancer fight.

Comments

• irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( RIP Gerry, obviously never recovered at the hands of the British judiciary who's anti-Irish bigotry back then was absolutely disgusting, they have to this day blood on their hands - he was an Irishman in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is finally at peace alongside his father Giuseppe - gone but not forgotten!

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam (May his soul be at God's right hand)
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is an inspiration for all those fighting injustice all across the world.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Gerry did you foul the ball?"
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Gerry did you foul the ball?"
    Excellent film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I hope it wasn't his pacemaker.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam (May his soul be at God's right hand)

Somehow I know it won't be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if there is a god im sure he is.
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Matter of opinion I guess.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But there isn't so he's simply no more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people involving the IRA and Adams in this discussion this is about Gerry Conlon?? Gerry was subject to a grave miscarriage of justice along with his father, Giuseppe, Paul Hill, Carol Richardson and Paddy Armstrong.

The actions of the British justice system of the time are indefensible, Conlon's passion and determination to pursue justice for his father, himself and the others was of a quintessentially Irish nature - he should be celebrated and remembered for the injustice he fought.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get over it & move on.
    The majority in NI are looking forward not back.
    Same minority crew always bringing up the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    Get over it & move on.
    The majority in NI are looking forward not back.
    Same minority crew always bringing up the past.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
    George Santayana
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spent a quarter of his life in jail for a crime he did not commit.

Bad times back then, for sure.

Amazing pictures when he was released.

In The Name Of The Father was a very well done movie giving an impression of his situation, but is one of this Hollywoodised movies where a lot was changed for dramatic effect. Great acting From Lewis and Posthelthwaite (I normally think Lewis is somewhat overrated, but they were both great In this one)
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    May he rest in peace
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people involving the IRA and Adams in this discussion this is about Gerry Conlon?? Gerry was subject to a grave miscarriage of justice along with his father, Giuseppe, Paul Hill, Carol Richardson and Paddy Armstrong.

The actions of the British justice system of the time are indefensible, Conlon's passion and determination to pursue justice for his father, himself and the others was of a quintessentially Irish nature - he should be celebrated and remembered for the injustice he fought.

He, his father and the rest of them were hardly saintly paragons of virtue and probity, casual crooks and small time acolytes of the Republican cause.

Lets not bother the Pope with a call for his beatification :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    He, his father and the rest of them were hardly saintly paragons of virtue and probity, casual crooks and small time acolytes of the Republican cause.

Lets not bother the Pope with a call for his beatification :cool:
    So your saying he deserved to spend 15 odd years in prison for a crime he did not commit? - those in the British justice system did more wrong the Gerry could do in 5 lifetimes.. if you call Gerry a crook what do you refer them as?
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    So your saying he deserved to spend 15 odd years in prison for a crime he did not commit? - those in the British justice system did more wrong the Gerry could do in 5 lifetimes.. if you call Gerry a crook what do you refer them as?

Sorry but would say just leave it, I am a Brummy, lost friends in the Birmingham pub bombings, the same thing went down there, they never got that right, the one's I just feel sorry for people who lost family and friends, and the nasty @&?; went free:( .
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange my two non controversial posts have been culled!:cool:
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what I said wrong as my post got deleted. :confused:
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    I wonder what I said wrong as my post got deleted. :confused:

Send a message to the Mods, I just did.

Maybe they are planning to delete Unionist opinions leading up to the 12th?

That will keep them busy.:D
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there is a memorial to the innocent people murdered in Guilford ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a memorial to the innocent people murdered in Guilford ?
    Probably so somewhere but that has absolutely nothing to do with Gerry Conlon.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread was asking for trouble on a usually staunch unionist forum, ah sure he was a nationalist, he deserved a stint in jail is the usual attitude to this across the water
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Allow people their few words of respect . Leave the post if you dont like it

Are dheis Dé go raibh a anam . R.I.P Gerry
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread was asking for trouble on a usually staunch unionist forum, ah sure he was a nationalist, he deserved a stint in jail is the usual attitude to this across the water

There was and is still a lot anti-Irish hostility in the UK at the time. My mum was just telling me she used to work in Radio Rentals in the 80s in Reading and people blatantly refused to be served by her because of her NI accent (which was a bit strange cause she could have been of a protestant backgroud? :confused:)

A lot of people will tell you on here there's no/little anti irish racism in the UK, but there's a lot more than people think there is and if an Irish person was heading to the UK I would warn them to expect some crap at times, like you would anywhere in the world I suppose from idiots.