Is nobody interested in war anymore?

bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seriously, when I was growing up we watched the news (had to) and were so engaged in what was happening. Up until 9/11 I had been so outraged by what has been happening around the globe. Now, aged 50, I really can't get engaged anymore. It's so obviously staged that I feel a fool for every believing in any of it. The amount of money I raised for these people is unbelievable. All these "foreign countries" are ruled by the West and they decide who is now the enemy. I am a fool. I know it. Sorry if I can't get upset anymore. That's just how it is.

Comments

• HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,288
    Forum Member
    As Judith Exner Campbell once said in regard to Kennedy and Giancana "There are no black hats and white hats".
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    It was easier to be engaged with war when the lines were more clearly drawn in the past. You felt like you were on the right side. Wars these days are all so ambiguous.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    It was easier to be engaged with war when the lines were more clearly drawn in the past. You felt like you were on the right side. Wars these days are all so ambiguous.

This is true.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also the problem, for us at least, that we've been shown how any Earthly enemy would be comprised of ordinary people just like us. I doubt we could be convinced to fight for a religion, or even for secularism.

#creepingpeace

When I was a lad it was all cowboys and Indians, but even the Lone Ranger had Tonto. :cool:
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Personally I should note I find any kind if war there has ever been ultimately idiotic. Carl Sagan puts it very well. Humans throughout history have fought and butchered their fellow species, to have their own sliver of land, on this fraction of a dot in space we call earth, no bigger than a speck of sand on a beach. Borders are meaningless. Do you think anything in the universe cares about the earthlings and their border disputes? We are the smallest ants around in the grand scheme of things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    It's all Kate Adie's fault. Wherever she went there was trouble.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    It's all Kate Adie's fault. Wherever she went there was trouble.

Where is she now? I hope not the UK!!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    After the battle of Fredericksburg Confederate General Robert E Lee said

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    It's all about money nowadays, isn't it?

I mean, it's so much easier just to implement sanctions against a country than sending the boys in to shoot shit up.

Also, China and Russia are surely just as bad as 'The West'.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I should note I find any kind if war there has ever been ultimately idiotic. Carl Sagan puts it very well. Humans throughout history have fought and butchered their fellow species, to have their own sliver of land, on this fraction of a dot in space we call earth, no bigger than a speck of sand on a beach. Borders are meaningless. Do you think anything in the universe cares about the earthlings and their border disputes? We are the smallest ants around in the grand scheme of things.
    I can see him saying it. But these days I'd probably argue that size isn't everything and no one (here or maybe anywhere) knows if there are any other conscious beings elsewhere in the universe. But we are in the universe and we care.

So rare. Shouldn't we care more for each other, and all the other species with whom we share the world, in this vast uncaring universe?
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    The West keep changing who the enemy is with no logic at all. We are told to support foreign backed separatists in Syria but our government is supporting a crackdown on a similar number of separatists in Ukraine who are also fighting against an unelected government with help from another country. It's wrong for Russia to send troops into Ukraine to "protect civilians" but it's fine for us to do the same with countries whose leaders aren't in our pockets. It's become hard to know who is a real enemy and who is just being made out to be an enemy by the media.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    The West keep changing who the enemy is with no logic at all. We are told to support foreign backed separatists in Syria but our government is supporting a crackdown on a similar number of separatists in Ukraine who are also fighting against an unelected government with help from another country. It's wrong for Russia to send troops into Ukraine to "protect civilians" but it's fine for us to do the same with countries whose leaders aren't in our pockets. It's become hard to know who is a real enemy and who is just being made out to be an enemy by the media.

I totally agree with all but the last sentence. It isn't the media, it is slimy politicians telling us who the enemy is. The media are the messengers.

I barely even look at BBC news anymore. It's all about Syria and Sunnis and Nigerian bombs. It's too depressing for words. And it's rather dull when you're aware you only know the tip of the iceberg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back when there were only 3 or 4 TV channels there was no such thing as 24 hour rolling news, and hence much less exposure to current affairs. Now with CNN, BBC, Sky, RT, Al Jazeera and the internet you've got information overload, and there's only so much you can care about.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    We've always been at war with eastasia
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's more news and info than ever before with multiple news channels and the internet, but just because it's there, doesn't mean anyone is watching it. From my experience hardly anyone looks at the news now, and is therefore unaware of most events going on. Most people are tuned into films, other main entertainment channel, games console, social media, anything else u can think of.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have got to a place where i wonder, "What is the point of me knowing this?".
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've thought of it as being ambiguous from a young age. My dad comes from Estonia and he's told me a bit about what went on there during WWII. Some people fought for the Germans, some for the Russians, some for neither and some even tried to fight against both. Considering the situation in the country at the time I can see the justification behind any of those.

As for growing tired of war, I really did get fed up of hearing about Beirut and Northern Ireland when I was a kid. I think I'm still showing some slight signs of disinterest because of them.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    War is expensive and unpopular. The decline of war has been noted before.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I think because its been done to death on the telly you get fed up of the same war programmes yes we get it, it was grim! move on! I used to like reading up on it at school as part of history classes but now at the age of 27 its not on my mind as other things are more important.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    I think because its been done to death on the telly you get fed up of the same war programmes yes we get it, it was grim! move on! I used to like reading up on it at school as part of history classes but now at the age of 27 its not on my mind as other things are more important.

War in general - not THE War! There's been more than one you know!
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    War in general - not THE War! There's been more than one you know!

And again once you know about all war, when you hear more and more or the same thing over and over you lose interest but at the same time you think yes it is devastating and obviously not the best of situations.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are told to support foreign backed separatists in Syria but our government is supporting a crackdown on a similar number of separatists in Ukraine who are also fighting against an unelected government with help from another country.

To be fair - there HAS been an

The fact is that there are wars going on ALL the time, hundreds of them all over the world. But nowadays we have started to....reclassify?...them as insurgencies, civil wars, guerilla wars, police actions etc. because international legisltation like the 1949 Geneva Convention recognises the differences between them and outright war between two nations ;-)

But they're still VERY real and VERY deadly to the people involved. If you're a woman in a small tribal village raped by the last group of combatants to wander through, or a boy soldier carrying his AK-47, or you're busy massacring your opponents as you go because they practice a different flavour of the same religion as you, or someone "fighting" a war by strapping a dozen sticks of industrial gelignite to your chest and looking for a bus queue...the actual definition of what sort of war you're fighting doesn't matter that much...:o
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neocons will always be interested in war.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,288
    Forum Member
    "Politicians hide themselves away,
    They only started the war,
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that all to the poor"

War Pigs - Black Sabbath.

But war can be quite lucrative for some.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Politicians hide themselves away,
    They only started the war,
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that all to the poor"

War Pigs - Black Sabbath.

This aspect came up some time ago on DS and I crunched the numbers; some 7% of MPS in the House of Commons today have seen military service...some of them in the Gulf War, in Northern Ireland, in BAOR etc...

I sincerely doubt that 7% of the British population of working age has seen military service....

In WWII it was even worse; at one point nearly two-thirds of MPs were in one uniform or another, so many that there were serious concerns in the Privy Council regarding the House of Commons even finding a quorum for voting!