Why Capaldi Will Be The Best Doctor Since Tom Baker

WopsyWopsy Posts: 36
Forum Member
The arrival of Capaldi in the role of Doctor Who has heralded an exciting new direction for the show. What the programme needed was an older actor who could stand up to the likes of the older classic doctors.

Capaldi manages to bring presence, wisdom, vulnerability and charm to the role. But crucially, he brings back that mature almost grandfatherly aspect that Hartnell embodied.

We do not need to see him physically engaging with enemies, he is at his best when he is in the TARDIS simply making decisions.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to be level-headed and reserve judgement until i see a few more of capaldi's episodes... But, you know what? i think he might end up being my favourite Doctor ever :cool:
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I find nothing grandfatherly whatsoever about Capaldi. He just doesn't have the hairstyle to compete with the Hartnell-Baker era. :p
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presence, vulnerability, embodied. Wow you hit the key words he must be awesome.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi is great, if he carries on in the same vein as he has in Deep Breath he will be a fine Doctor!
    It is always sad seeing a Doctor go, when a regeneration happens and you never know how a new Doctor will be, but keeping an open mind I have found is the only way and it has paid off big time!
    Im in the middle of re-watching Deep Breath already and Im sure I will watch again, as it has been so good!
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Not seeing the grandfatherly, mature Doctor at all. Maybe that will be a part of his personality, but it wasn't in this one. I didn't see much charm, or wisdom either.

What I did see was the vulnerability, and something quite dark. There were definitely undercurrents of something very intresting in his personality, Matt hinted at this too, only his scripts didn't qute allow this to fully manifest. I hope this isn't the case for Peter.

Finally the vulnerability that he showed at the end of the episode was almost heartbreaking. Maybe we didn't need the Cameo from Matt, but I think the episode was probably better for it.

Anyway I have a soft spot for Matt, and will miss him, but based on what we have seen so far I think we're in safe hands.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Who knows. It's much too early to tell. After 'The Eleventh Hour' I thought Smith was going to be alongside Baker, Pertwee and Troughton as one of the best. That lasted all of series 5...

But on the strength of tonight's episode he certainly could be by far the best of the post-2005 Doctors.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Dr Who, always have done. The Doctor is The Doctor fullstop for me.
    All incarnations, for me, have been The Doctor, yes, including John Hurt's portrayal :)
    :)

The new Doctor I like.

BUT about 20 minutes before the end I started to fidget and got a little bored, solely because there was too much Clara.

PS the new broom, having renewed each part over time, was Trigger's in OFAH

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/roger-lloyd-...120359341.html
    Roger Lloyd-Pack: How ‘Trigger’s Broom’ changed philosophy
    Iconic Only Fools And Horses gag now used in university lectures.

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I had to put the subtitles on as I could not understand a word he said.
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He won't seem grandfatherly until he offers someone a werthers original!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter is good, 12 may prove too dark for me to ever actually like him. It's clear they're going to be vastly changing aspects of his personality this year and tbh it makes him a lesser man.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a proper hissy fit when David Tennant decided to quit and I decided to hate Matt Smith. However, Matt was brilliant and grew on me in no time. I was miffed when HE decided to leave! Now it's Peter Capaldi's turn and I loved him last night! (I don't like ALL the doctors, but the last three have been great.)

Last night's episode was very funny in parts too. (I'm Scottish so it must be the fault of the English theme, lol.)

Good story too. Not sure about the new theme tune though. Why mess about with it all the time?

Anyway, Capaldi gets a thumbs up from me.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    He won't seem grandfatherly until he offers someone a werthers original!

Or a jelly baby?

No disrespect to Capaldi but his facial features aren't really grandfatherly or avuncular. However, being an older incarnation will at least put a stop to the endless maybe-maybe-not romances between The Doctor and his companion which we've seen too much of in the new incarnations..
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we've seen his full regeneration yet, he's still finding his way as the new Dr . I do think however, that Peter Capaldi is going to get better and better as the series progresses. It' nice to have a Dr with a degree of gravitas, like the original Drs had back in the 60's . Everytime the Dr changes I'm sad as They've been so good and Matt was a particular favourite of mine, but I think Peter Capaldi is going to be the best one yet.
  • conmarcas3conmarcas3 Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    I love Dr Who, always have done. The Doctor is The Doctor fullstop for me.
    All incarnations, for me, have been The Doctor, yes, including John Hurt's portrayal :)

The new Doctor I like.

BUT about 20 minutes before the end I started to fidget and got a little bored, solely because there was too much Clara.

PS the new broom, having renewed each part over time, was Trigger's in OFAH

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/roger-lloyd-...120359341.html
    Roger Lloyd-Pack: How ‘Trigger’s Broom’ changed philosophy
    Iconic Only Fools And Horses gag now used in university lectures.

I would agree with most of this, but I just can not re watch Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy. Maybe it was just the 80's I don't know, but it was ridiculous. I really faded there.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Capaldi's a bit weird. Definitely not a "grandfatherly figure"

If I found my grandfather scuttling across the floor smelling chalk, I'd put him in a care home.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I don't think the Doctor has to be 'likeable', although modern audiences may disagree. I'm not sure Hartnell, Pertwee or Tom Baker were likeable in the role, not in an 'awww, aren't they lovely. I wish they were my friend' sort of way.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dark, mysterious Doctor is what we need after Matt Smith who was a bit too wacky and immature for me, although he came good in his last two stories. Capaldi seems to be like the first Doctor and that's good.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the Doctor has to be 'likeable', although modern audiences may disagree. I'm not sure Hartnell, Pertwee or Tom Baker were likeable in the role, not in an 'awww, aren't they lovely. I wish they were my friend' sort of way.

I found Pertwee and Tom Baker quite likable, charismatic. Hartnell was a more authoritative grandfatherly figure with a fantastic wig. I do worry about Capaldi finding his feet, Deep Breath had a lot of Matt Smith lines, the other scripts will have to do better than that.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one will beat tennant for me as the best doctor but I though capaldi had a promising debut. He is a good actor so expecting great things from him.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I liked all from 5 - 7 for various reasons and the Seventh heralded a major change with Ace and her arc
  • eFGeeeFGee Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    From what I've seen so far, he's not even as good as McCoy. And the storyline and dialoge are rubbish too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I saw last night Capaldi had a lot of Tom Baker in his portrayal, some things reminded me of Robot episode 1 which was Tom Bakers first episode the characterisation was very similar especially early on in the episode , if anyone has seen Toms first episode and how erratic and random he was they`ll understand what I mean.

Viewers didn`t take to Tom Bakers first episode at the time too well either after Jon Pertwee leaving because it was such a huge contrast but eventually Tom Baker soon became one of the most iconic and admired doctors of all time, this is why I have high hopes for Capaldi`s doctor because it appears from certain spoilers and script leaks he`s been written very similar to Tom Bakers 4th doctor and after Matt Smith this was very much needed to contrast.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows. It's much too early to tell. After 'The Eleventh Hour' I thought Smith was going to be alongside Baker, Pertwee and Troughton as one of the best. That lasted all of series 5...

But on the strength of tonight's episode he certainly could be by far the best of the post-2005 Doctors.

Matt Smith was dragged down by the scripts, particularly in the second half of series 6 and series 7. I don't think Peter Capaldi would have done much better had he been given the same material so we have to hope that the writing is better this time around.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that the darkness really came through yet. The episode seemed to be mainly about what he won't be than what he will be:

For example, Clara won't be flirting with him (coz he's old!). Although he did sound a little flirty when Clara said that she'd never thought he was her boyfriend and he said "I never said that was your mistake'. Anyway, I imagine it will be off the table in future.

He won't be chivalrous or warm, not shown much sign of adventure, not a massive amount of wisdom. So still lots to discover.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »
    From what I saw last night Capaldi had a lot of Tom Baker in his portrayal, some things reminded me of Robot episode 1 which was Tom Bakers first episode the characterisation was very similar especially early on in the episode , if anyone has seen Toms first episode and how erratic and random he was they`ll understand what I mean.

Viewers didn`t take to Tom Bakers first episode at the time too well either after Jon Pertwee leaving because it was such a huge contrast but eventually Tom Baker soon became one of the most iconic and admired doctors of all time, this is why I have high hopes for Capaldi`s doctor because it appears from certain spoilers and script leaks he`s been written very similar to Tom Bakers 4th doctor and after Matt Smith this was very much needed to contrast.

This.

I remember the outcry after Tom Baker's first episode.
    People were writing to Points of View complaining he was 'too young' and 'looked like a student.'

I am delighted to see Capaldi in the role as I found Matt Smith dreadfully immature.