"I'm a Cheeky Chappie"

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some of you may remember my previous thread about my dislike of people calling themselves 'bubbly'.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1966419

Another thing that annoys me is when men (usually the Essex morons) call themselves 'Cheeky Chappies'.

These people are usually extremely uneducated and spend their lives in a tanning machine thing and trying to 'pull'.

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh. They probably have "cheeky banter" too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I've always found that if someone describes themselves as a 'cheeky chappie', it's just a more polite way of saying 'I'm a complete w*nker' :D
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Ugh. They probably have "cheeky banter" too.

While they're drinking a 'cheeky pint' no doubt.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a leftover from the music hall days, which contributed to a national stereotype of a happy-go-lucky working-class Londoner. It was part of some songs, too. That's probably why I don't have much of an aversion to that.
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While they're drinking a 'cheeky pint' no doubt.

while having a cheeky Nandos
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew .. i live in essex .. glad i'm not an essex moron :)
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    while having a cheeky Nandos

That's why they're so chubby.:D
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew .. i live in essex .. glad i'm not an essex moron :)

An Essex moron is the type of person you see on TOWIE.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That's a leftover from the music hall days, which contributed to a national stereotype of a happy-go-lucky working-class Londoner. It was part of some songs, too. That's probably why I don't have much of an aversion to that.

This person in particular.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found that if someone describes themselves as a 'cheeky chappie', it's just a more polite way of saying 'I'm a complete w*nker' :D

It's generally also code for "you'd never tire of punching me in the face".
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Step away from the telly.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Miller was great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This person in particular.

Bless the man! :D
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone I know who describes themselves as a cheeky chappy is a bit of a knob who loves the sound of their own voice and thinks they're gods gift to women.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I've never heard anyone describe themselves as a cheeky chappy.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Everyone I know who describes themselves as a cheeky chappy is a bit of a knob who loves the sound of their own voice and thinks they're gods gift to women.

Same here. They describe themselves as cheeky chappies, the rest of us describe them as knobheads.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stevie Ritchie, from Colchester, on tonight's X-Factor doesn't describe himself as a cheeky chappy, but he is.

Watch the repeat or itvplayer (he's about 3'30" in)

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-x-factor/series-7/episode-2-audition-2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You haven't watched enough British working-class comedy films from the 1940s - the 1960s. :D Sid James (before his Carry On days) was probably one of best known examples. Norman Wisdom tried before he found a niche in being a clumsy but heroic dunce.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experience, people who use this term or have it used about them, tend to be proper goons
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    You haven't watched enough British working-class comedy films from the 1940s - the 1960s. :D Sid James (before his Carry On days) was probably one of best known examples. Norman Wisdom tried before he found a niche in being a clumsy but heroic dunce.

The meaning of Cheeky Chappie has obviously changed these days.

See here http://www.standard.co.uk/news/standard-pictures/the-stars-come-out-for-the-opening-night-of-batman-live-at-the-o2-arena-7364574.html?action=gallery&ino=2
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne Mardle, the dart player, falls firmly into the category of Essex 'cheeky chappie'. I couldn't stand him as a player and he irritates me now he's a commentator.

Two other terms I can't stand: More often than not, if someone is described as a 'character', they are an idiot, a drunk, or both.

'Banter' seems to be the standard get-out clause if anyone says something obnoxious or offensive.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    Wayne Mardle, the dart player, falls firmly into the category of Essex 'cheeky chappie'. I couldn't stand him as a player and he irritates me now he's a commentator.

Two other terms I can't stand: More often than not, if someone is described as a 'character', they are an idiot, a drunk, or both.

'Banter' seems to be the standard get-out clause if anyone says something obnoxious or offensive.

I agree totally about banter, people do use it as an excuse to be rude, saying rude and offensive things and then passing it off as a joke!
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I never liked the term 'Jack the lad' either.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    Some of you may remember my previous thread about my dislike of people calling themselves 'bubbly'.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1966419

Another thing that annoys me is when men (usually the Essex morons) call themselves 'Cheeky Chappies'.

These people are usually extremely uneducated and spend their lives in a tanning machine thing and trying to 'pull'.

And presumably driving p**** magnet cars, all souped up including sometimes with undercar blue lighting (which btw is illegal). The same applies to tinted car windows if they are too 'dark'. Some police forces now have devices to measure this and you can get clobbered with a fine and/or points if your windows are too heavily tinted. However, one thing I'm not sure of is how does this apply to limousines.