Options

Mario Kart 8 update on it's way

-GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
Forum Member
An update for MK8 is due on the 27th Aug which has the following,

- 3 free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow, 300 SL Roadster
- Added new feature that can display the course map on the TV screen.
- Changed default choice to "Next Race" instead of "View highlight" in the menu that appears after the race of the Grand Prix.
- Remember the vehicle parts to be used later / next boot.
- In "Mario Kart TV", added ability to copy & edit the highlight video of other players.
- "Scoreboard" screen can be viewed and the number of characters that win-loss total number of coins, online play, etc.
- Improving the stability of communication during online races.
- Fixed some (other) problems.

Comments

• Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic! An on-screen map and a scoreboard which lets you keep track of coins are much needed additions.

When I saw the Mercedes DLC Kart a few months ago, I wasn't impressed and when I read this, the revelation that there will actually be 3 DLC Karts filled me with trepidation... but actually, based on the trailer one of the new Karts actually looks quite nice (the F1 one) and another isn't too bad. Only the one revealed months ago still looks awful.
    I hope these Karts don't end up having OP stats.

I've also got my fingers crossed that they'll fix the item balance online which is still crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's the Mercedes MK8 Trailer
    http://youtu.be/hw5Ba4o0LY4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think they'll patch "Fire Hopping"?
    Loads of people really want to see it gone, but an equally large number of people would be extremely angry if it was removed.

I'm not too fussed either way. On one hand, it gives you an advantage, but not a massive advantage like snaking in MKDS or wheely-ing in MKWii did and it injects an extra layer of technical skill into the game... but on the other hand I'm not very good at it (can only pull it off in certain parts of certain tracks) so it would suit me fine if it was removed. :D

That said, if they did remove it, the time trial leaderboards would be screwed up and the current world records completely invalidated.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    An update for MK8 is due on the 27th Aug which has the following,

- 3 free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow, 300 SL Roadster
    - Added new feature that can display the course map on the TV screen.
    - Changed default choice to "Next Race" instead of "View highlight" in the menu that appears after the race of the Grand Prix.
    - Remember the vehicle parts to be used later / next boot.
    - In "Mario Kart TV", added ability to copy & edit the highlight video of other players.
    - "Scoreboard" screen can be viewed and the number of characters that win-loss total number of coins, online play, etc.
    - Improving the stability of communication during online races.
    - Fixed some (other) problems.

Most happy with those changes. :) MK8 is a brilliant game though could be perfected with little tweaks such as these!
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, nothing note worthy really. A Merc ad or two doesn't interest me. Was REALLY hoping for proper multi player maps.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice changes the better communication between online play is massive for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    You can now go go over 9999 points on online racing. This has made me very happy!:D
  • Options
    Jon411Jon411 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere outright so maybe I'm imagining it, but since the update the weaponry seems to be more sensible to me - I haven't been decimated by triple red shells and blue shells near the end of a race and the elastic banding of the computer players isn't as bad as it was in offline games.

I managed to get all the Mirror cups completed at 3 stars with a a couple of hour sessions on Friday and Saturday where as before that I had spent quite a while trying to manage it and had put the game down for about 6 weeks as it I wasn't enjoying it as it was almost down to luck as to if I could win more than the odd race.

I'm not the best outright racer but at the same time I wouldn't of said I was that bad - I can normally hold my own in an online race and finish in the top half and win the odd one with the standard kart even if it's not the fastest but I'm sure something has changed with the update as I'm finding it must more enjoyable and less frustrating racing offline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon411 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere outright so maybe I'm imagining it, but since the update the weaponry seems to be more sensible to me - I haven't been decimated by triple red shells and blue shells near the end of a race and the elastic banding of the computer players isn't as bad as it was in offline games.

I haven't noticed this. The item balance is as bad as ever when I race online. I'm still getting single mushrooms in last place and getting completely destroyed when in first by people who pull triple reds in second.

I've a friend who just got 9999VR before the update and was really annoyed when the cap was increased to 99,999. He then proceeded to play a couple of races and because he has higher VR than most people, he can only gain VR if he comes 3rd or above. Any other position and he loses VR.
    ...and because this is Mario Kart, a couple of races where he was destroyed by the usual guy with triple reds lost him an entire day's worth of VR.
  • Options
    Jon411Jon411 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed this. The item balance is as bad as ever when I race online. I'm still getting single mushrooms in last place and getting completely destroyed when in first by people who pull triple reds in second.

I've a friend who just got 9999VR before the update and was really annoyed when the cap was increased to 99,999. He then proceeded to play a couple of races and because he has higher VR than most people, he can only gain VR if he comes 3rd or above. Any other position and he loses VR.
    ...and because this is Mario Kart, a couple of races where he was destroyed by the usual guy with triple reds lost him an entire day's worth of VR.

I meant the weaponry when playing offline seemed more balance - should have made myself clearer.

Online the racing is as frantic as ever - I went from 3rd to last on the last lap of an online race at Mario Circuit this afternoon as I got totally item raped after the last set of item boxes and then a few races later I went from 12th to 3rd in the last lap of Shy Guy Falls (which is one of my least favourite tracks anyway) due to getting a load of red mushrooms, but then other times I have been near the back and got totally useless items, but had a yellow star or the MK8 item box when running 3rd or 4th- it's still pretty inconsistent, much more so than Mariokart Wii was.

Then on the other extreme, If you can escape out front that it's possible to run away from the others and not get hit at all, not even a blue shell - someone threw a bomb under the wheels of the first plane you have to race round on Sunshine Airport on the first lap which allowed me to get into first and I wasn't challenged the whole race. I only had Orange Yoshi with the standard kart, and all the item boxes I had were coins - even the racers that were normally faster got nowhere near me as they presumably were getting bombed to bits behind - ended up crossing the line before second place had got to the last glider part of the course.

Also - considering the Mercedes Sports Coupe has the same stats as a standard kart I find the Merc much faster and better on the wider, more open tracks, and the kart much better on the twistier tracks - I don't think the stats match the reality of when you race the various karts.

I can understand the VR thing being annoying for some - for me it makes no difference as I'm never going to make it anywhere near the original 9999 limit anway, the nearest I got in MK Wii was 8500ish, personally I think they should do away with how the VR is worked out and just base it on online race points instead and put it all into a huge leaderboard., the current VR system is pretty meaningless as unless you have no life and play Mariokart online continuously you are never going to reach the 99999 limit anyway as he number of VR points you get awarded is so small compared to MK Wii.

Despite all that - the game has finally clicked with me, had a great group of online players for about 2 hours this afternoon.
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant the weaponry when playing offline seemed more balance - should have made myself clearer.

Online the racing is as frantic as ever - I went from 3rd to last on the last lap of an online race at Mario Circuit this afternoon as I got totally item raped after the last set of item boxes and then a few races later I went from 12th to 3rd in the last lap of Shy Guy Falls (which is one of my least favourite tracks anyway) due to getting a load of red mushrooms, but then other times I have been near the back and got totally useless items, but had a yellow star or the MK8 item box when running 3rd or 4th- it's still pretty inconsistent, much more so than Mariokart Wii was.

Then on the other extreme, If you can escape out front that it's possible to run away from the others and not get hit at all, not even a blue shell - someone threw a bomb under the wheels of the first plane you have to race round on Sunshine Airport on the first lap which allowed me to get into first and I wasn't challenged the whole race. I only had Orange Yoshi with the standard kart, and all the item boxes I had were coins - even the racers that were normally faster got nowhere near me as they presumably were getting bombed to bits behind - ended up crossing the line before second place had got to the last glider part of the course.

Also - considering the Mercedes Sports Coupe has the same stats as a standard kart I find the Merc much faster and better on the wider, more open tracks, and the kart much better on the twistier tracks - I don't think the stats match the reality of when you race the various karts.

I can understand the VR thing being annoying for some - for me it makes no difference as I'm never going to make it anywhere near the original 9999 limit anway, the nearest I got in MK Wii was 8500ish, personally I think they should do away with how the VR is worked out and just base it on online race points instead and put it all into a huge leaderboard., the current VR system is pretty meaningless as unless you have no life and play Mariokart online continuously you are never going to reach the 99999 limit anyway as he number of VR points you get awarded is so small compared to MK Wii.

Despite all that - the game has finally clicked with me, had a great group of online players for about 2 hours this afternoon.

Great post, better than I see on Mkboards.com. Totally agree with all points especially when you hit a good stable room with little turnover of players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah I see. I never really have much of a problem on offline mode. I'm just about good enough to immediately escape the melee at the start and defend 1st for most 150cc races. The 150cc bots, on my game at least, have always been pretty tame.

Maybe you're just better now than you used to be?

Yeh, this pretty much echoes my experience online. The item balance is all over the place. What I also find annoying is how common triple shrooms are. It's not uncommon for over six members of the race to all have triple shrooms. This means that if you don't get them, you're put at a massive disadvantage as everyone else can take shortcuts when you can't.

This too. I've gone from races where I've been absolutely destroyed to races where I've just maintained my position throughout the whole race.
    There was a Sunshine Airport race where I maintained 2nd the whole race without being challenged. My friend I mentioned earlier came 1st, but he's fantastically good and I almost never beat him.

[/quote]I can understand the VR thing being annoying for some - for me it makes no difference as I'm never going to make it anywhere near the original 9999 limit anway, the nearest I got in MK Wii was 8500ish, personally I think they should do away with how the VR is worked out and just base it on online race points instead and put it all into a huge leaderboard., the current VR system is pretty meaningless as unless you have no life and play Mariokart online continuously you are never going to reach the 99999 limit anyway as he number of VR points you get awarded is so small compared to MK Wii.[/quote]

I never got past 8000 on MKWii (actually I think I was at 8000 exactly when they ended MKWii online), but it was far easier in MKWii to lose VR. You could lose over 200 VR in a single race. I think I definitely could surpass 9999 (almost 7000 at the moment) as it's far easier to gain than lose VR most of the time in MK8 (depending on VRs of the people in the room, of course).

On the other hand, I managed to get to 17000 VR on MK7 (which I liked a lot more than MKWii), but that was from playing it every now and then between December 2011 and now.

I too am not bothered about the new 99999 limit, but I think I'd prefer it if you got a little badge or medal beside your name every time you reached a VR checkpoint, just to give you a little more incentive.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought a Mario kart 8 WiiU bundle! :) are any of u guys still playing online? :)
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Just bought a Mario kart 8 WiiU bundle! :) are any of u guys still playing online? :)

Knew you'd be back :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Knew you'd be back :D:D

Aye! I'll be firing up the kart either today or tomorrow! :)

(will probably order smash bros aswell!) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Lol I just deleted your name from my list yesterday from your other one.
    Yeah I'm still online now and then so you best add me again ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I just deleted your name from my list yesterday from your other one.
    Yeah I'm still online now and then so you best add me again ;)

Do I have to create another NintendoID or can I link my existing? :blush:

(I'm currently downloading a 45min update) :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do I have to create another NintendoID or can I link my existing? :blush:

(I'm currently downloading a 45min update) :blush:

Unfortunately yes you'll have to create a new one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately yes you'll have to create a new one.

I bought a new XB360 & X1 added my gamertags, continued as if I never left! :cool:

WiiU had to create a new ID thus loosing all my WiiU / 3DS digital downloads & friends! >:( ... What a f*cking piss take! >:(

anyway! ... My new ID = SimonB1979
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a new XB360 & X1 added my gamertags, continued as if I never left! :cool:

WiiU had to create a new ID thus loosing all my WiiU / 3DS digital downloads & friends! >:( ... What a f*cking piss take! >:(

anyway! ... My new ID = SimonB1979

It is a rather stupid system. Why can't Nintendo get with the times?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    It is a rather stupid system. Why can't Nintendo get with the times?

Yep! ... It's totally ridiculous (but in my case) what's done is done! ... I'll be avoiding digital WiiU titles in the future! ... I'm sticking with disks! :)

PS, is that Mario kart DLC bundle on the eshop available to buy now? :)
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! ... It's totally ridiculous (but in my case) what's done is done! ... I'll be avoiding digital WiiU titles in the future! ... I'm sticking with disks! :)

PS, is that Mario kart DLC bundle on the eshop available to buy now? :)

Yes. If you buy it now, you get access to the shy guy colours now (only if you preorder both)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Yes. If you buy it now, you get access to the shy guy colours now (only if you preorder both)

Ok! I'll buy the bundle option nxt time I fire up my WiiU! :)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

well don m8, im proud of ya..

add me gdjman68wasdigi for the wiiu

gmeboyhorror on 360, soon to be xb1 for destiny
    if you want to play destiny now add xv R4GEZz vx

thats my sons tag, so i will use that