Options

Tube Drivers Could Strike Boxing Day

occyoccy Posts: 65,148
Forum Member
✭✭
ASLEF have said if they want Tube Drivers to work Boxing Day they should be paid 3 days pay + Day off in lieu. London Underground said they can't expect to pay this.

Why do people want to travel on Boxing Day. Shops should be shut.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hospitals will still be open
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Hospitals will still be open

Fireman will be working.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

I couldn't care less about shops either but Boxing Day is one of the biggest sporting days of the year. People have family and friends to visit. We are always being encouraged to use public transport rather than driving when weather conditions may be bad and there is a lot of drinking going on.

Go to Spain and you'll find the buses and trains running normally on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tube drivers in Scotland will be working
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still don't deserve that amount of money.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Can't London cope without the tube even on boxing day? Most of the rest of the country doesn't seem to have normal railway services on boxing day so why should London always get the red carpet treatment in both tubes and bus serivces all the time for?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one day the Tube drivers will do their job (which they get fairly handsome reward for already compared to most of their fare paying customers) instead of demanding extra gold plating for little reason other than because they can shut down the network otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never heard a big company who gives out this amount of threating demands over the years. It's getting rather boring now. They need to get themselves in talks and sort it all out without this pathetic demands before Bank Holidays or special events. I wonder if the Aslef bosses work on Boxing Day? No, cause they earn lots.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says on the radio they only get 45K a year and are only asking for triple time in the holidays, to avert the strike. Sounds like job for Bob Crow. It a nice cushy number having a monopoly on underground transport. They always get what they want.
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait till they get a fully automated tube network - it works in other countries, I don't see any reason why it can't work in London, London is not some mythical land where only human beings can control a train which is on a set of rails meaning it can only go in one direction

once a computer replaces the tube drivers, we can stop having to put up with the tube drivers and their soft reasons for striking!
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Can't London cope without the tube even on boxing day? Most of the rest of the country doesn't seem to have normal railway services on boxing day so why should London always get the red carpet treatment in both tubes and bus serivces all the time for?

Many people are still working on boxing day, and I suspect quite a few stores will be starting their sales.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Fireman will be working.

:eek:

Wow! The cuts are deeper than we thought! ;)
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Says on the radio they only get 45K a year and are only asking for triple time in the holidays, to avert the strike. Sounds like job for Bob Crow. It a nice cushy number having a monopoly on underground transport. They always get what they want.

Gold star for gratuitous mention of Bob Crow on this thread.

Well done! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    I can't wait till they get a fully automated tube network - it works in other countries, I don't see any reason why it can't work in London, London is not some mythical land where only human beings can control a train which is on a set of rails meaning it can only go in one direction

once a computer replaces the tube drivers, we can stop having to put up with the tube drivers and their soft reasons for striking!

IIRC one of the Underground lines is almost automatic (in terms of speed regulation), and then there is of course the DLR which is pretty much driverless (usually under computer control, although the "train captain" can drive the train if necessary).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASLEF have said if they want Tube Drivers to work Boxing Day they should be paid 3 days pay + Day off in lieu. London Underground said they can't expect to pay this.

agree with you on that but don't forget Boxing Day, is a big day for sport which people need transport to get to.
  • Options
    I Trust in God.I Trust in God. Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sack the lot and train new drivers at a lower pay rate comparable to other transport staff. These regular strikes are getting to be tiresome.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Er... People should be able to do what they want on this day and what about people who have to get to work on this day?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I would expect double time and a day off in lieu as in incentive to work boxing day.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Many people are still working on boxing day, and I suspect quite a few stores will be starting their sales.

Chance would be a fine thing for those of us who live outside London and other cities but we don't get that chance generally, everything is shut on Boxing Day and New years day so if we have to put up with it, maybe London and the other cities should as well or at least from time to time.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And bankers get a lot more! Ever hear of them going on strike? No, as they don't need to. They just tell the Government they want more cash and get it, like the £75 billion given to them recently by the Bank of England. Yes, 75 BILLION, and no conditions, like not funding bonuses out of it.
    I don't know if tube train drivers are justified or not, but what's obvious is that it's small change compared to the taxpayers cash bankers pocket. So, if you want to be angry, be angry with the bankers, the biggest parasites in the country.
  • Options
    WorkmanWorkman Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Gold star for gratuitous mention of Bob Crow on this thread.

Well done! :rolleyes:

A bottle of bubbly might be more appropriate.

Morgassi Superiore 2009 Piedmont is apparently one of "Bubbly Bob's" favourite tipples.

It's only £39 a bottle.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveb0789 wrote: »
    I would expect double time and a day off in lieu as in incentive to work boxing day.

how about "whatever it says in the contract that your union agreed to"?

Its nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    how about "whatever it says in the contract that your union agreed to"?

Its nonsense.

I'm not a tube driver but my union has an agreement of exactly that.

The boxing day arrangement as I understand was apparently for a skeleton service manned by volunteers. Drivers would work 1 in 4 boxing days. Now LUL wants a full Saturday service with no renegotiation. But triple and a day off is excessive.

It should be noted there will be very little if any national rail services on that day.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people who use the tube would see this as pure greed on the part of the unions and tube drivers.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair this is the first time we have ever had a boxing day and the tube network is still very new so its understandable that issue like this might not have ever been covered before in union agreed T&Cs so the unions arent being greedy but are just asking a very valid question......;)