External Hard Drive Problem

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a 750gb external hard drive connected to my laptop which is running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
When I click on computer it shows the hard drive and how much space I have left.
When I click open, a message comes up saying I need to format the hard drive before i can use it, I click no and get this message: " H:\ not accessible, data error ( cyclic redundancy check ) "
Any ideas of the cause of this as it was working perfectly before.

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks serious. I'd run chkdsk /f h: with admin rights on it, maybe it can salvage the disk.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,416
    Forum Member
    stairway wrote: »
    " H:\ not accessible, data error ( cyclic redundancy check ) "
    The disk has failed. If it's still under warranty get it swapped out with a replacement.

As for the cause - it could well have failed naturally as this is very common but if it has been dropped or bashed about then that would certainly exacerbate things.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably on its way out, open the event viewer and see if theres a load of error messages but i'd say its probably on deaths door and if possible get it RMA'd for a new one asap if its under warranty
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It looks serious. I'd run chkdsk /f h: with admin rights on it, maybe it can salvage the disk.

I tried that,and so far,it seemed to have done it.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Backup everything you want to keep. It's possible it stays like this or it progresses with further problems. Do you safe remove the disk before you unplug it?