Options

New tv.How many HDMI cables will i need?.

U96U96 Posts: 13,937
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello.First of all I've never posted on this section before.I'm a bit of a technophobe so please be gentle with me.:)
My old school Sony CRT( I call it a fat tv) has got a bit narky recently so I've decided to replace it.
The model I'm buying isn't a smart tv.Just freeview,nothing fancy.I'll just be connecting it to my Virgin box and my dvd player,nothing else.Maybe Freeview at a later date.
Will I just need one of these hdmi cables when I order?.Is £30-£40 a good deal?.Don't want to listen to any bullshine from the sales person
Thanks.:cool:

Comments

• Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    HDMI works the same as SCART, in that you'll need one cable per device. The boxes you want to connect will need HDMI outputs, obviously. Old kit may only have SCART or something.

£30-£40 per cable (if that's what you mean) sounds OTT. The price will, however, depend partly on the lengths you need. Do not be sold cables based on "offers improved colour/contrast/clarity over normal cables" or such nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    HDMI works the same as SCART, in that you'll need one cable per device. The boxes you want to connect will need HDMI outputs, obviously. Old kit may only have SCART or something.

£30-£40 per cable (if that's what you mean) sounds OTT. The price will, however, depend partly on the lengths you need. Do not be sold cables based on "offers improved colour/contrast/clarity over normal cables" or such nonsense.

Thanks for the info Sambda.My DVD player is about 10 or 12 years old,so I guess it'll not be compatible with a HDMI cable.Maybe time for a blue ray player or something more up to date.
    I won't be needing anything long,no trailing cables around here.Seen all these Sandstrom ads on the Currys website 'gold plated etc etc'.I think i'll just order the telly and go elsewhere for the HDMI cables.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Sambda.My DVD player is about 10 or 12 years old,so I guess it'll not be compatible with a HDMI cable.Maybe time for a blue ray player or something more up to date.
    I won't be needing anything long,no trailing cables around here.Seen all these Sandstrom ads on the Currys website 'gold plated etc etc'.I think i'll just order the telly and go elsewhere for the HDMI cables.

You can just look at the back of your DVD player to see if it has a HDMI socket. Here's what they look like - note the indented-corner shape: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/16477i9697DD250751CB31?v=mpbl-1

Note that most new TVs will still have a legacy SCART socket, so you can check for this before you buy a new DVD player.

Buying the cables elsewhere seems a wise move. However, gold-plated connectors are not as esoteric as they sound, and even reasonably priced cables will have these. The idea is that gold doesn't oxidise (tarnish) so the connection won't become crackly and intermittent with age. The trouble with HDMI cable-selling starts with people trying to peddle obscure materials in the make-up of the actual cables' metal conductors, with the promise of better pictures over normal cables. As long as you don't buy stupidly cheap HDMI cables, they will work OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can just look at the back of your DVD player to see if it has a HDMI socket. Here's what they look like - note the indented-corner shape: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/16477i9697DD250751CB31?v=mpbl-1

Note that most new TVs will still have a legacy SCART socket, so you can check for this before you buy a new DVD player.

Buying the cables elsewhere seems a wise move.

Thanks for your help Sambda.Much obliged.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Buying the cables elsewhere seems a wise move. However, gold-plated connectors are not as esoteric as they sound, and even reasonably priced cables will have these. The idea is that gold doesn't oxidise (tarnish) so the connection won't become crackly and intermittent with age. The trouble with HDMI cable-selling starts with people trying to peddle obscure materials in the make-up of the actual cables' metal conductors, with the promise of better pictures over normal cables. As long as you don't buy stupidly cheap HDMI cables, they will work OK.

Yes,the whole cable thing seems to be a case of 'blind them with science'.But I can see through it.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As long as the cable isn't broke, even ones from £1 shops will do the job.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the Virgin cable box got an hdmi socket?
    If it's only scart, and u have a older DVD player with just scart, you may have a problem connecting both devices to a new TV.

Freeview will be built into all new tv's, so as long as u have a working TV aerial with reasonable signal strength you can just plug the aerial cord into the TV before the start of the 1st time installation. Tv's with freeview hd built in can also receive hd channels on freeview.

Additional.
    Some tv's are called hd-ready and others full-hd. The latter option has a higher screen resolution, so should in theory provide a sharper image. I recently went from an older hd ready LCD to a full hd LCD (which is also bigger) and the full hd TV is sharper. But I do accept that if comparing a very good quality hd-ready TV to a budget full-hd TV, that the hd-ready version may be just as good or even better. I will add thst this screen resolution stuff is nothing to do with freeview and freeview hd.....a full-hd TV doesn't automatically include freeview-hd. They are totally separate features.

The whole smart-TV gadgets thing is over hyped and just a way to sell more equipment. The features offered vary from brand to brand and very few offer an internet browser option. It's not a pc and TV combined in reality. Smart features are appearing on other devices too, my Blu-ray Disc player has them, and it's a joke feature. Not even as good as the same stuff on an iPad. Clearly tho, you don't have to use such features, u don't even have to connect them to the internet if you don't want to. All will otherwise operate normally minus the smart features.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Has the Virgin cable box got an hdmi socket?
    If it's only scart, and u have a older DVD player with just scart, you may have a problem connecting both devices to a new TV.

Freeview will be built into all new tv's, so as long as u have a working TV aerial with reasonable signal strength you can just plug the aerial cord into the TV before the start of the 1st time installation. Tv's with freeview hd built in can also receive hd channels on freeview.

Additional.
    Some tv's are called hd-ready and others full-hd. The latter option has a higher screen resolution, so should in theory provide a sharper image. I recently went from an older hd ready LCD to a full hd LCD (which is also bigger) and the full hd TV is sharper. But I do accept that if comparing a very good quality hd-ready TV to a budget full-hd TV, that the hd-ready version may be just as good or even better. I will add thst this screen resolution stuff is nothing to do with freeview and freeview hd.....a full-hd TV doesn't automatically include freeview-hd. They are totally separate features.

The whole smart-TV gadgets thing is over hyped and just a way to sell more equipment. The features offered vary from brand to brand and very few offer an internet browser option. It's not a pc and TV combined in reality. Smart features are appearing on other devices too, my Blu-ray Disc player has them, and it's a joke feature. Not even as good as the same stuff on an iPad. Clearly tho, you don't have to use such features, u don't even have to connect them to the internet if you don't want to. All will otherwise operate normally minus the smart features.

TV's badged HDready1080p have 1920 x 1080 displays and are also capable of 1080p24 (Blu-ray standard) as well as 1080p50 and 1080p60.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Hello.First of all I've never posted on this section before.I'm a bit of a technophobe so please be gentle with me.:)
    My old school Sony CRT( I call it a fat tv) has got a bit narky recently so I've decided to replace it.
    The model I'm buying isn't a smart tv.Just freeview,nothing fancy.I'll just be connecting it to my Virgin box and my dvd player,nothing else.Maybe Freeview at a later date.
    Will I just need one of these hdmi cables when I order?.Is £30-£40 a good deal?.Don't want to listen to any bullshine from the sales person
    Thanks.:cool:

Pop into a poundshop you can get hdmi cables for a pound each there if you need more hdmi sockets this is very good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-PORT-HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Hub-iR-Remote-1080p-For-HDTV-PS3-/231178984444?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item35d3575bfc i use one myself as my tv only has 2 hdmi ports.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV's badged HDready1080p have 1920 x 1080 displays and are also capable of 1080p24 (Blu-ray standard) as well as 1080p50 and 1080p60.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

It's very unwise to buy a new TV that isn't "Freeview HD" ready even if you have Virgin or Sky. HD ready sets don't have a DVB T2 tuner so cannot receive Freeview HD channels, which means you will always have one Virgin/Sky tuner tied up for viewing limiting what you can record.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    It's very unwise to buy a new TV that isn't "Freeview HD" ready even if you have Virgin or Sky. HD ready sets don't have a DVB T2 tuner so cannot receive Freeview HD channels, which means you will always have one Virgin/Sky tuner tied up for viewing limiting what you can record.

Are you sure?

.....because there's quite a few HD ready sets with DVB T2 tuners here.....

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/301_3002_30002_xx_ba00008844-bv00305767/0_xx-criteria.html
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't have freeview hd built in, u can add a freeview hd box, even one that records. U are not limited to sky or cable for this.
    Freesat hd is another free system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

If Curry's UK TVs have a DVB T2 tuner they will be Freeview HD ready.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    If you don't have freeview hd built in, u can add a freeview hd box, even one that records. U are not limited to sky or cable for this.
    Freesat hd is another free system.

Bit pointless buying a new TV then having to buy a box to get HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The HDready and HDready1080p have nothing to do with what type of tuner the TV has. It merely dictates what type of signals input via hdmi or DVI the TV is capable of working with. The original spec HD Ready called for 1080i and 720p with a minimum vertical resolution of 720 lines. HDReady 1080P adds 1080p at 24 25 50 and 60fps and a full HD display of 1920 x 1080 lines..

The capability to receive UK DVB-T2 signals is indicated by a seperate logo - Freeview-HD.

I doubt you can find a HDReady1080P TV that is not also Freeview-HD capable, it's also entirely possible that a HD Ready TV is also Freeview-HD capable.

Current Panasonic HD Ready TV's with Freeview-HD reception

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led.html?browsing=params&filter_100=100&filter_100_rangeName=U2l6ZSAoaW5jaCk&filter_100_rangeSelectedMin=19&filter_100_rangeValueMin=19&filter_100_rangeSelectedMax=65&filter_100_rangeValueMax=65&filter_200=200&filter_200_rangeName=SERNSSBJbnB1dA&filter_200_rangeSelectedMin=2&filter_200_rangeValueMin=2&filter_200_rangeSelectedMax=4&filter_200_rangeValueMax=4&facets=SEQgUmVhZHk&facets=RnJlZXZpZXcgSEQ&sort=Featured

My TV does not have a DVB-T2 tuner but as I have two Freesat+ and two Freeview+ pvrs the TV tuner is never used so it's totally irrelevant. The display is Full HD and compatible with all HD progressive frame rates.

To summarise HDReady and HDReady1080p simply tell you the display resolution minimum specs and what types of digital video signals you can use the display with. Computer monitors that do not even have any sort of broadcast tuning capability can be legally flagged with these EICTA logos.

If you need a TV to watch terrestrial HD TV in the UK you need to look for a Freeview-HD logo and/or look at the specification to see if DVB-T2 as well as DVB-T is specified.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit pointless buying a new TV then having to buy a box to get HD.

No it's not, many of us never use the TV tuner because we use a PVR instead. The idea of just using a TV rather than a PVR in this day and age seems a bit strange to me though each to their own but I don't consider my TV that does not have Freeview HD (older model) to be deficient in any way that affects my viewing.

The only advantage of having Freeview HD if you have a PVR is as an extra tuner if you are already recording two channels and that doesn't apply in my case as I have two PVRs for freesat and Freeview. When I buy my next TV whether it has Freeview HD or not will make almost no difference to my decision though I expect it will have it as most do nowadays.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    If Curry's UK TVs have a DVB T2 tuner they will be Freeview HD ready.

Yes, they may well be Freeiew HD ready, but that has nothing to do with whether the TV is HD ready or HD ready 1080p.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    No it's not, many of us never use the TV tuner because we use a PVR instead.
    About the only time I watch using just the TV is occasionally to catch up with major news in the morning which actually benefits from having pictures. Most news works just fine on the radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    No it's not, many of us never use the TV tuner because we use a PVR instead. The idea of just using a TV rather than a PVR in this day and age seems a bit strange to me though each to their own but I don't consider my TV that does not have Freeview HD (older model) to be deficient in any way that affects my viewing.

The only advantage of having Freeview HD if you have a PVR is as an extra tuner if you are already recording two channels and that doesn't apply in my case as I have two PVRs for freesat and Freeview. When I buy my next TV whether it has Freeview HD or not will make almost no difference to my decision though I expect it will have it as most do nowadays.

My old TV wasn't Freeview HD so like you I used my PVR, the only snag was that you get nothing to watch all night then three programmes at 9pm, one of which I had to watch in SD. Not a great hardship I admit but at least I can now watch all three programmes in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old TV wasn't Freeview HD so like you I used my PVR, the only snag was that you get nothing to watch all night then three programmes at 9pm, one of which I had to watch in SD. Not a great hardship I admit but at least I can now watch all three programmes in HD.

Humax twin tuner Freeview-HD pvrs let you record two programmes at the same time and watch a third sharing a mux with either recording. If the two recordings happen to be on the same mux you can watch any third channel (one tuner makes both recordings). This means you can always record any two of the main HD channels and watch either of the two remaining HD channels.

Basically record any two from channels 101 102 103 and 104 and watch one of the others (you can even live pause the 3rd channel).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humax twin tuner Freeview-HD pvrs let you record two programmes at the same time and watch a third sharing a mux with either recording. If the two recordings happen to be on the same mux you can watch any third channel (one tuner makes both recordings). This means you can always record any two of the main HD channels and watch either of the two remaining HD channels.

Basically record any two from channels 101 102 103 and 104 and watch one of the others (you can even live pause the 3rd channel).

That's true but I think the OP is using Virgin, not sure if you can do it with that.

A friend of mine with an analogue TV has used Humaxs' for normal viewing for some time but seems to have lots of problems with them that I don't have with mine, which makes me wonder if they are suitable for continuous use.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Slightly related to the above post. (By Graham)
    Instead of purchasing an expense Humax HD box think about a Dual DVB-T2 tuner card in a cheap quad core PC,
    It is what I use as I can watch TV in the study (so OH has TV for herself, I can then connect via HDMI to the TV so the OH can watch recordings/iPlayer etc (she is a total technophobe lol)
    If she has annoyed me and is watching iPlayer I max out the Internet so it buffers for her lol

It cost me under £100 and comes with a remote, using DVBViewer Pro (15 Euros for life) I can record ALL channels in 2 MUXES whilst watching a channel in either MUX and it has EPG, scheduled recordings etc, I have been using it for 3 years and I record at least 6 shows a day for the OH and it has never failed me ever.
    Full MUX recording is easy, just open the TS in Videredoplus and select the video track by PID to get the channel you want from the full MUX

They do a quad version card which could record 4 entire MUX's at once :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true but I think the OP is using Virgin, not sure if you can do it with that.

A friend of mine with an analogue TV has used Humaxs' for normal viewing for some time but seems to have lots of problems with them that I don't have with mine, which makes me wonder if they are suitable for continuous use.

The Tivo has 3 tuners. My Foxsat-Hdr has been in daily use since late November 2008. It had a 1TB drive fitted about a month later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but the OP seems to be buying a new TV so I thought that having Freeview HD built in would be a wise choice especially as it probably wouldn't cost much more than an SD one. There is also the chance that all freeview might be mpeg 4, and DVBT2 before the end of the decade due to 5G roll out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but the OP seems to be buying a new TV so I thought that having Freeview HD built in would be a wise choice especially as it probably wouldn't cost much more than an SD one. There is also the chance that all freeview might be mpeg 4, and DVBT2 before the end of the decade due to 5G roll out.

No one disagrees with that. However you said HD-Ready TV's do not have DVB-T2 tuners which is incorrect and also raised the issue of HD-Ready which isn't related in any way.

A lot depends on what other kit you already have. No doubt when I replace my existing TV it will have a DVB-T2 tuner, I probably won't even bother connecting an aerial to it.